AP said:Swingeing fuel taxes. 'Five times what Stern proposes'? So what.
Would you welcome paying 5x the cost of, say your shopping, for - your
shopping?
No. Your point being...?
Quoted message said:It's clearly not working yet,
How can it work - it isn't being used /to/ mitigate the effects of CO2
emission. It isn't even being used to pay for research into methods of
reducing CO2 emissions.
How? Classical economics. Supply and demand. If you crank up the price,
demand - thus consumption - will fall.
Quoted message said:so keep ramping up the taxes until it does.
How will paying more make it work any better? See above.
Quoted message said:And it makes it really really simple. The more you pollute (big engine,
many miles) the more you pay.
Yes, it's simple. Pay the actual cost of your emissions. Motorists pay
5x the cost, yet other emitters pay zero. Domestic gas and electricity
emits the equivalent of 2.4 times that of the cars and taxis on our
roads - how much extra tax (duty) is added to the price of those? Zero.
Not only is there zero duty, but only 5% VAT, compared to 17.5% VAT
added not only to the cost of motor fuel but also to the duty on it!!!
It's altogether possible/probable that other polluters should indeed pay
more. I said in my first post, 'airlines next'...
And yes, I would cheerfully include things like domestic energy; and yes, I
would indeed look to penalise people who run large homes inefficiently. Why
should they have the right to damage our environment to keep themselves
toasty? Buy a jumper, rich boy - or pay the price.
Quoted message said:Fair, practicable, inescapable - and with no civil liberties implications
whatsoever.
Other than it is worth 5x the damage caused, is a regressive tax and
isn't hypothecated for use on anything to do with motoring, or even on
anything to do with transport. The tax is a con. Does that fit in with
your view of "Fair and practicable"??
I don't understand 'worth 5x the damage caused'. I don't agree that it's a
regressive tax (although like any expense it will tend to bear harder on the
poor, it 'disbenefits' purely and directly in proportion to driving
behaviour, not income or wealth). I don't care whether it's hypothecated or
not: it doesn't matter what's done with the money raised. The point is to
dissuade fuel consumption. And while I share your implicit instinct that the
existing proposals probably have as much to do with New Labour
control-freakery as with the environment - which could arguably make it 'a
con' - I still think a punitive tax high enough to rein in our suicidal
enthusiasm for driving is clearly the only way to go (or at least, the only
way I can think of that has zero implications for civil liberties). If you
want to reduce pollution, make the polluter pay. Period. As they say.
Alan