Petrol price fuels surge in bike sales

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
Story pointing out the bleeding obvious :D

Petrol price fuels surge in bike sales
http://theage.com.au/news/national/...e-in-bike-sales/2005/10/05/1128191786062.html
RISING petrol prices are fuelling a resurgence in cycling as more people switch from petrol to pedal power to save money.

Bicycle shops report increased sales, while riders say they have noticed more cyclists on the roads in the past two months.

Up to 6000 cyclists met at Federation Square yesterday to have breakfast as part of Ride to Work Day, double last year's number. Retail Cycle Traders of Australia says sales have increased by 90 per cent since 1997, with a record 1.24 million bicycles imported last year.

Bicycle Victoria figures show a five-fold increase in the number of cyclists in the city since 1992, up from an average of 92 to 461 an hour in Swanston Street. Tony Barber, general manager of Bicycle Victoria, said high petrol prices were an opportunity for people to start riding and get fit.

He said the price of fuel was one reason why more people were cycling, but improved bike trails and promotion of cycling were also factors. "We are seeing an increase, but petrol is not the main reason. I think people want to get fit and basically have fun," he said.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Graham Bradshaw, executive officer of Retail Cycle Traders of Australia, said petrol prices were having an effect on sales.

"There are no firm figures as yet, but anecdotally more people are buying bikes and accessories, as well as dusting off their old bikes, having them repaired and riding again," Mr Bradshaw said.

Over breakfast at Federation Square yesterday, Clare Corbet, 49, said she had noticed more riders on the road in recent weeks.

The office worker has been riding to work for the past 10 years from her home in Coburg.

"I do it for the exercise. I have an office job and it's a nice release at the end of the day," she said. "It's also nice having the space when you're riding because public transport gets crowded."

Lots of people are sheep and although they deny it don't want to be seen as doing something 'different', these kind of everyone is doing articles are good as they bring the masses to think its normal.

And its a change from the bikes are evil rants...

PiledHigher said:
Lots of people are sheep and although they deny it don't want to be seen as doing something 'different', these kind of everyone is doing articles are good as they bring the masses to think its normal.

And its a change from the bikes are evil rants...

Ah, yes, the subtle process of normalisation! Yippee!

*Does small cartwheels & dreams of tomorrow's nights Goat*

cfsmtb said:
Story pointing out the bleeding obvious :D

[...]

Bicycle Victoria figures show a five-fold increase in the number of cyclists in the city since 1992, up from an average of 92 to 461 an hour in Swanston Street. Tony Barber, general manager of Bicycle Victoria, said high petrol prices were an opportunity for people to start riding and get fit.
Tony Barber???:eek:

BV meets gameshow...

cheers,
ali

cfsmtb wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> > Lots of people are sheep and although they deny it don't want to be seen
> > as doing something 'different', these kind of everyone is doing articles
> > are good as they bring the masses to think its normal.
> >
> > And its a change from the bikes are evil rants...

> Ah, yes, the subtle process of normalisation! Yippee!

Peter at Cycle Science has had the busiest June, July, Aug & Sept
that he can remember. My quick totally unscientific
survey of his clients is mostly recreational riders, not commuters
though.

cfsmtb wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> > Lots of people are sheep and although they deny it don't want to be seen
> > as doing something 'different', these kind of everyone is doing articles
> > are good as they bring the masses to think its normal.
> >
> > And its a change from the bikes are evil rants...

there was a record thirteen bikes downstairs yesterday =)
the good weather is helping the guys ride to werk!

> Ah, yes, the subtle process of normalisation! Yippee!

hmmm ... donuts

> *Does small cartwheels & dreams of tomorrow's nights Goat*

we had an office party last night. the only reason i went
was to support the tech. and guess what i found?
mountain goat pale ale! might have to visit them again =D

cheers,

kim

Bleve said:
Peter at Cycle Science has had the busiest June, July, Aug & Sept
that he can remember.

must be the new guy :rolleyes:

Bleve said:
My quick totally unscientific
survey of his clients is mostly recreational riders, not commuters
though.

That's how most commuters start out. ride a bit one day. do it a bit more regularly. EVEN more regularly. wanna get fitter/faster , start commuting.

The path to more bikes awaits :D

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> Peter at Cycle Science has had the busiest June, July, Aug & Sept
>> that he can remember.
>>

> must be the new guy :rolleyes:
>
> Bleve Wrote:
>>
>> My quick totally unscientific
>> survey of his clients is mostly recreational riders, not commuters
>> though.

> That's how most commuters start out. ride a bit one day. do it a bit
> more regularly. EVEN more regularly. wanna get fitter/faster , start
> commuting.
>
> The path to more bikes awaits :D
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Feed the addiction..

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> *Does small cartwheels & dreams of tomorrow's nights Goat*

Please keep your sexual proclivities to yourself, there are
Queenslanders on this list you know.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum said:
Please keep your sexual proclivities to yourself, there are
Queenslanders on this list you know.

Calm down Pete, we're talking about simply being happy & drinking beer. Is that regarded as kinky in FarQ? :D

"Peter McCallum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1h4299l.1t2o7t7cg52gwN%[email protected]...
> cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> *Does small cartwheels & dreams of tomorrow's nights Goat*

> Please keep your sexual proclivities to yourself, there are
> Queenslanders on this list you know.
>
> --
> Peter McCallum
> Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

But Goat is so tasty!

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> being happy & drinking beer.
> Is that regarded as kinky in FarQ? :D

getting totally ****** and fighting the nearest bystander is regarded as
normal friday evening behaviour in this part of the world.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

cfsmtb said:
Calm down Pete, we're talking about simply being happy & drinking beer. Is that regarded as kinky in FarQ? :D

Maybe this is more his style!

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=15&art_id=qw1128440161176B263

cfsmtb said:

Use the bikes as clothes racks, then get several people to
move one of the space heaters over to near the bikes.
My work technique is a fan heater pointing at wet shoes
placed below bike, with wet gear draped over the bike.

Euan's suggestion of wet smelly gear is more likely to end
up with Euan drinking on his own, rather than with other
bike riders.

Although this does remind me of travelling in the UK.
On a wet day we were visiting an old slate mine in Wales when
another couple walked into the same cavern. We heard them
comment about the bad smell in the cavern. I don't remember it
smelling when we walked in! On return home we washed the
goretex jackets to remove the stale perspiration smell which
was released when the jackets were wet.