Pets on bikes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Satchmo

This afternoon I took my wife and kids down to our local wild-life recreation area (Ferry Meadows in
Peterborough). After having a fine walk and having soaked up the cold but wonderfully-fresh air we
were making our way back home when we suddenly encountered two cyclists coming towards us on the
embankment path.

The first rider had an Snowy Owl sat on his shoulder. A small silver chain was attached to its claw,
which ran down to the handle bars on which was attached a perch! I kid you not! I didn't get time to
see if there was a food tray or water feeder attached.

My wife commented that perhaps it liked sitting on th chap's shoulder whilst he was riding...but I
pointed out that whith a cahin oround its foot..it was preferable to being dragged behind the back
of the bike
<g>

Perhaps this is a new craze? 'Pets On Bikes' Hamsters on MTB's... Terriers in recumbents ? (or is
that already the case? <g>)

Cheers

Satchmo

>Perhaps this is a new craze? 'Pets On Bikes' Hamsters on MTB's... Terriers in recumbents ? (or is
>that already the case? <g>)

There's an old character around Dereham - on a really old bike and he has his dog, a Jack Russell I
think, in a basket affair. The dog has a spotted handkerchief tied around its neck and it really
does look as if it's having a whale of a time.

I'm not even going to consider having the cat sat on my shoulder as I cycle along!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

"Satchmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the steering
wheel. She unfortunately has recently learnt how to blow the horn. And worse, she only blows the
horn when she sees a cyclist, presumably out of excitement at recognising a bike, but inevitably
most cyclists understandably give me the finger. I'm trying to teach her not to blow the horn, but
it is not so easy!

Ric <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the
> steering wheel.

A troll right? Don't tell me you have another four on the passenger seat and 22 in the back? Watch
out for cyclists bearing rusty scissors.

Tony

"Satchmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the
basket
> >at the back and loves every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
>
> Of course what you need is a tandom <g> You could let your dog handle the climbs!

Unfortunately JRs have rather short legs.Though they are bright enough to work it out if it could
be done. In fact, I remember seeing a cycling Jack Russel on telly when I was a kid. Can't remember
what program.

When I was younger my parents had a grocers shop, and we had a delivery bike with a deep basket
on the front. Never mind these Jack Russells, I used to take our labrador out for a spin, and
he loved it!

John Gray

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes
>
> >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the
basket
> >at the back and loves every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
> >
> >She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving
with
> >her paws on the steering wheel
>
> ...Leaving yours free to hold the mobile phone and a ciggie...
>
> --
> congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

> I'm not even going to consider having the cat sat on my shoulder as I cycle along!
>
I've been known to take one of the cats in it's carrier on the back of my recumbent trike to the
Vet's. The nurses insist that I find helmets for the cats;-)

Robert

In article <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

>My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
>every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
>
>She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the
>steering wheel

...Leaving yours free to hold the mobile phone and a ciggie...

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

>My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
>every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

Of course what you need is a tandom <g> You could let your dog handle the climbs!

Satchmo

On 25 Jan 2003 22:36:53 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>I have seen this and all I can say is a body can go off a person for suggesting I put my ***** in
>such a contraption!
>

I have a feeling I mentioned it to you some time ago.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

> From: "Ric" <[email protected]>
>
> My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
> every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

There's a bloke around our way (North Cambridge) who tends to ride around on a old sit-up-and-beg
with a West Highland White Terrier in the basket. The westie always looks pretty happy about the
whole thing.

And if you think that's unusual, I'll mention a great (now sadly departed) New Zealand icon: Rastus
the cat. Rastus was a pretty game moggy who happened to like riding standing on the gas tank of his
owner's motorbike. http://www.classicglory.com/rastus.htm for details. This is in no way, shape or
form a wind-up - this cat was a national icon, and appeared on television frequently (including
advertising tea!).

Cheers

jack

Jack Elder wrote:

> And if you think that's unusual, I'll mention a great (now sadly departed) New Zealand icon:
> Rastus the cat http://www.classicglory.com/rastus.htm

Two more beautiful lives wiped out by a negligent cager. At least the charge was appropriate. I like
the motorcyclists' tradition of the 'last long ride' - motorcycle hearses are a great idea, too.
When SMIDSY gets me I'd like to be towed to Church on a BoB behind a Windcheetah, of course.

--
Guy
===
I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I like the motorcyclists' tradition of the 'last long ride' - motorcycle hearses are a great idea,
> too. When SMIDSY gets me I'd like to be towed to Church on a BoB behind a Windcheetah, of course.

With yer spuds on?

If you own a Galaxy, does that go into the furnace with you?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> If you own a Galaxy, does that go into the furnace with you?

Even better, just before you pop off, buy yourself a magnesium framed bike and get as many magnesium
components as you can and get that burned with you (a la viking funeral). That should make the
cremation very memorable!

Have fun!

Graeme

Status
Not open for further replies.