Pets on bikes ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Satchmo, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Satchmo

    Satchmo Guest

    This afternoon I took my wife and kids down to our local wild-life recreation area (Ferry Meadows in
    Peterborough). After having a fine walk and having soaked up the cold but wonderfully-fresh air we
    were making our way back home when we suddenly encountered two cyclists coming towards us on the
    embankment path.

    The first rider had an Snowy Owl sat on his shoulder. A small silver chain was attached to its claw,
    which ran down to the handle bars on which was attached a perch! I kid you not! I didn't get time to
    see if there was a food tray or water feeder attached.

    My wife commented that perhaps it liked sitting on th chap's shoulder whilst he was riding...but I
    pointed out that whith a cahin oround its foot..it was preferable to being dragged behind the back
    of the bike
    <g>

    Perhaps this is a new craze? 'Pets On Bikes' Hamsters on MTB's... Terriers in recumbents ? (or is
    that already the case? <g>)

    Cheers

    Satchmo

    Tags:

  2. >Perhaps this is a new craze? 'Pets On Bikes' Hamsters on MTB's... Terriers in recumbents ? (or is
    >that already the case? <g>)

    There's an old character around Dereham - on a really old bike and he has his dog, a Jack Russell I
    think, in a basket affair. The dog has a spotted handkerchief tied around its neck and it really
    does look as if it's having a whale of a time.

    I'm not even going to consider having the cat sat on my shoulder as I cycle along!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "Satchmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
    every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

    She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the steering
    wheel. She unfortunately has recently learnt how to blow the horn. And worse, she only blows the
    horn when she sees a cyclist, presumably out of excitement at recognising a bike, but inevitably
    most cyclists understandably give me the finger. I'm trying to teach her not to blow the horn, but
    it is not so easy!

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Ric <[email protected]> wrote:

    > She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the
    > steering wheel.

    A troll right? Don't tell me you have another four on the passenger seat and 22 in the back? Watch
    out for cyclists bearing rusty scissors.

    Tony

  5. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "Satchmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the
    basket
    > >at the back and loves every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
    >
    > Of course what you need is a tandom <g> You could let your dog handle the climbs!

    Unfortunately JRs have rather short legs.Though they are bright enough to work it out if it could
    be done. In fact, I remember seeing a cycling Jack Russel on telly when I was a kid. Can't remember
    what program.

  6. John Gray

    John Gray Guest

    When I was younger my parents had a grocers shop, and we had a delivery bike with a deep basket
    on the front. Never mind these Jack Russells, I used to take our labrador out for a spin, and
    he loved it!

    John Gray

    "congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes
    >
    > >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the
    basket
    > >at the back and loves every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
    > >
    > >She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving
    with
    > >her paws on the steering wheel
    >
    > ...Leaving yours free to hold the mobile phone and a ciggie...
    >
    > --
    > congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    > I'm not even going to consider having the cat sat on my shoulder as I cycle along!

    I've been known to take one of the cats in it's carrier on the back of my recumbent trike to the
    Vet's. The nurses insist that I find helmets for the cats;-)

    Robert

  8. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

    >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
    >every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".
    >
    >She likes coming in my car too, and sits on my knee while I am driving with her paws on the
    >steering wheel

    ...Leaving yours free to hold the mobile phone and a ciggie...

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  9. Satchmo

    Satchmo Guest

    >My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
    >every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

    Of course what you need is a tandom <g> You could let your dog handle the climbs!

    Satchmo

  10. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 25 Jan 2003 22:36:53 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >I have seen this and all I can say is a body can go off a person for suggesting I put my pussy in
    >such a contraption!

    I have a feeling I mentioned it to you some time ago.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  12. Jack Elder

    Jack Elder Guest

    > From: "Ric" <[email protected]>
    >
    > My Jack Russel loves coming out on my touring bike. She sits in the basket at the back and loves
    > every minute of it. In fact she goes beserk if I mention the word "bike".

    There's a bloke around our way (North Cambridge) who tends to ride around on a old sit-up-and-beg
    with a West Highland White Terrier in the basket. The westie always looks pretty happy about the
    whole thing.

    And if you think that's unusual, I'll mention a great (now sadly departed) New Zealand icon: Rastus
    the cat. Rastus was a pretty game moggy who happened to like riding standing on the gas tank of his
    owner's motorbike. http://www.classicglory.com/rastus.htm for details. This is in no way, shape or
    form a wind-up - this cat was a national icon, and appeared on television frequently (including
    advertising tea!).

    Cheers

    jack

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Jack Elder wrote:

    > And if you think that's unusual, I'll mention a great (now sadly departed) New Zealand icon:
    > Rastus the cat http://www.classicglory.com/rastus.htm

    Two more beautiful lives wiped out by a negligent cager. At least the charge was appropriate. I like
    the motorcyclists' tradition of the 'last long ride' - motorcycle hearses are a great idea, too.
    When SMIDSY gets me I'd like to be towed to Church on a BoB behind a Windcheetah, of course.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  14. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > I like the motorcyclists' tradition of the 'last long ride' - motorcycle hearses are a great idea,
    > too. When SMIDSY gets me I'd like to be towed to Church on a BoB behind a Windcheetah, of course.

    With yer spuds on?

    If you own a Galaxy, does that go into the furnace with you?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  15. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
    > If you own a Galaxy, does that go into the furnace with you?

    Even better, just before you pop off, buy yourself a magnesium framed bike and get as many magnesium
    components as you can and get that burned with you (a la viking funeral). That should make the
    cremation very memorable!

    Have fun!

    Graeme