Peugeot Find

mastronaut

Mar 23, 2006
I just picked this bad boy up at (of all places) the local landfill today! :eek:
What are people thinkin? I'm almost positive its a 1980. Do any of you know how much these sold for new? I can't find all that much info on it. :confused:

No clue, but that is a nice find. Looks like it could use a new seatpost/seat as a nice upgrade. Go ride it. :)

mastronaut said:
I just picked this bad boy up at (of all places) the local landfill today! :eek:
What are people thinkin? I'm almost positive its a 1980. Do any of you know how much these sold for new? I can't find all that much info on it. :confused:

You've done well! It looks in pretty good condition and apart from the handlebars and saddle (should have drop bars), it appears to be pretty much standard.
I reckon you're probably right that it's about 1980 (you can tell from the stamping on the bottom bracket shell - I'd need to dig out the details to tell you exactly how). It's definitely a fairly high end frame, and it might even be a very late PX (a PXN10, which was about the last). If so, that's good news as the PXs are worth money! Can you give a few more details: what's the make of the chainset (I think Stronglight), brakes (Mafac sidepulls?) etc? and the number on the BB, and exactly what sort of Reynolds transfers are they - just green, or green with the 531 in red and red lettering saying 'ultra legere' ? Does it say '3 tubes renforcés' or '5 tubes renforcés'. Is it five or six speed?

Please, don't 'upgrade' it - get some proper period bars, levers and saddle, and keep it standard.

I think the drop bars are definately what's needed. I will try to get more details that you mentioned, and post them here later on today. Thanks...

It has Spidel side pulls, Reynolds 531 frameset, Huret rear cog, 'RECORD DU MONDE' above the check pattern on the frame. That's about all that stands out for markings. serial 80021178.

mastronaut said:

If it's as good as their cars shove it back on the landfill before it costs you too much / annoys the life out of you.

Eastway82 said:
You've done well! It looks in pretty good condition and apart from the handlebars and saddle (should have drop bars), it appears to be pretty much standard.
I reckon you're probably right that it's about 1980 (you can tell from the stamping on the bottom bracket shell - I'd need to dig out the details to tell you exactly how). It's definitely a fairly high end frame, and it might even be a very late PX (a PXN10, which was about the last). If so, that's good news as the PXs are worth money! Can you give a few more details: what's the make of the chainset (I think Stronglight), brakes (Mafac sidepulls?) etc? and the number on the BB, and exactly what sort of Reynolds transfers are they - just green, or green with the 531 in red and red lettering saying 'ultra legere' ? Does it say '3 tubes renforcés' or '5 tubes renforcés'. Is it five or six speed?

Please, don't 'upgrade' it - get some proper period bars, levers and saddle, and keep it standard.
I added drop style bars, pumped up the tires to 100lbs. That was a pain finding the Presta fitting! The stem is pretty much frozen so I can't adjust the height as high as I'd like it, and I'm on the look out for a nice saddle. Over all I'm incredibly happy with it. :D