Peugeot Fork

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by E & V Willson, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Hi Bobs, I recently bought a 70's Peugeot Road bike (Reynolds 531 tubing). I bought it used, and
    found that the stem was undersized for the fork tube. The reason for this, I found, is that the
    upper part of the fork (inside the head tube) is bent enough so a proper sized stem will not fit.
    While trying to straighten the fork tube, it cracked vertically (partial crack, could be used, but
    inadvisable I would think). This is a quality 18 speed bike, weighing about 22 lb., so I do not want
    to trash it, or sell it for components. Tire size is 700c or 27x 1 1/4. What are my options for
    replacing/repairing the fork? Will a standard US/ISO one fit? Must it be a Peugeot fork? Are the
    forks on other French bikes the same size etc? Where would you expect one could be found? If a US
    fork would fit, what else would have to be changed? Any help will be appreciated.

    TIA, Ernie

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "E & V Willson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Bobs, I recently bought a 70's Peugeot Road bike (Reynolds 531 tubing). I bought it used, and
    > found that the stem was undersized for the fork tube. The reason for this, I found, is that the
    > upper part of the fork (inside the head tube) is bent enough so a proper sized stem will not fit.
    > While trying to straighten the fork tube, it cracked vertically (partial crack, could be used, but
    > inadvisable I would think). This is a quality 18 speed bike, weighing about 22 lb., so I do not
    > want to trash it, or sell it for components. Tire size is 700c or 27x 1 1/4. What are my options
    > for replacing/repairing the fork? Will a standard US/ISO one fit? Must it be a Peugeot fork? Are
    > the forks on other French bikes the same size etc? Where would you expect one could be found? If a
    > US fork would fit, what else would have to be changed? Any help will be appreciated.

    Ideally, you want a french threaded (m 25x1) fork of the same material, rake and clearance along
    with a french (22.0mm) stem. Those will be difficult (expensive) to find. Converting the front if
    the bike to a BSC (1"x24tpi) fork with a new ISO headset and a regular ISO 22.2mm stem is a common
    solution if "restoration" is off the table.

    Yes, the wheels might be 27" or they might be 700C. What year/model is it? You could also look on
    the tire sidewall. 27 nch tires are 630mm and 700C tires are 622mm.

  3. Andy,

    What I meant by the tire size is that the bike can take either size, depending on the brake
    adjustment. I put this in just in case it had anything to do with the available fork sizes.

    I will consider restoration with French parts, but most likely will convert it to US..

    Thanks for your help