Peugeot Fork

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

E & V Willson

Hi Bobs, I recently bought a 70's Peugeot Road bike (Reynolds 531 tubing). I bought it used, and
found that the stem was undersized for the fork tube. The reason for this, I found, is that the
upper part of the fork (inside the head tube) is bent enough so a proper sized stem will not fit.
While trying to straighten the fork tube, it cracked vertically (partial crack, could be used, but
inadvisable I would think). This is a quality 18 speed bike, weighing about 22 lb., so I do not want
to trash it, or sell it for components. Tire size is 700c or 27x 1 1/4. What are my options for
replacing/repairing the fork? Will a standard US/ISO one fit? Must it be a Peugeot fork? Are the
forks on other French bikes the same size etc? Where would you expect one could be found? If a US
fork would fit, what else would have to be changed? Any help will be appreciated.

TIA, Ernie

"E & V Willson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Bobs, I recently bought a 70's Peugeot Road bike (Reynolds 531 tubing). I bought it used, and
> found that the stem was undersized for the fork tube. The reason for this, I found, is that the
> upper part of the fork (inside the head tube) is bent enough so a proper sized stem will not fit.
> While trying to straighten the fork tube, it cracked vertically (partial crack, could be used, but
> inadvisable I would think). This is a quality 18 speed bike, weighing about 22 lb., so I do not
> want to trash it, or sell it for components. Tire size is 700c or 27x 1 1/4. What are my options
> for replacing/repairing the fork? Will a standard US/ISO one fit? Must it be a Peugeot fork? Are
> the forks on other French bikes the same size etc? Where would you expect one could be found? If a
> US fork would fit, what else would have to be changed? Any help will be appreciated.

Ideally, you want a french threaded (m 25x1) fork of the same material, rake and clearance along
with a french (22.0mm) stem. Those will be difficult (expensive) to find. Converting the front if
the bike to a BSC (1"x24tpi) fork with a new ISO headset and a regular ISO 22.2mm stem is a common
solution if "restoration" is off the table.

Yes, the wheels might be 27" or they might be 700C. What year/model is it? You could also look on
the tire sidewall. 27 nch tires are 630mm and 700C tires are 622mm.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Andy,

What I meant by the tire size is that the bike can take either size, depending on the brake
adjustment. I put this in just in case it had anything to do with the available fork sizes.

I will consider restoration with French parts, but most likely will convert it to US..

Thanks for your help

A Muzi wrote:

> "E & V Willson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Bobs, I recently bought a 70's Peugeot Road bike (Reynolds 531 tubing). I bought it used, and
> > found that the stem was undersized for the fork tube. The reason for this, I found, is that the
> > upper part of the fork (inside the head tube) is bent enough so a proper sized stem will not
> > fit. While trying to straighten the fork tube, it cracked vertically (partial crack, could be
> > used, but inadvisable I would think). This is a quality 18 speed bike, weighing about 22 lb., so
> > I do not want to trash it, or sell it for components. Tire size is 700c or 27x 1 1/4. What are
> > my options for replacing/repairing the fork? Will a standard US/ISO one fit? Must it be a
> > Peugeot fork? Are the forks on other French bikes the same size etc? Where would you expect one
> > could be found? If a US fork would fit, what else would have to be changed? Any help will be
> > appreciated.
>
> Ideally, you want a french threaded (m 25x1) fork of the same material, rake and clearance along
> with a french (22.0mm) stem. Those will be difficult (expensive) to find. Converting the front if
> the bike to a BSC (1"x24tpi) fork with a new ISO headset and a regular ISO 22.2mm stem is a common
> solution if "restoration" is off the table.
>
> Yes, the wheels might be 27" or they might be 700C. What year/model is it? You could also look on
> the tire sidewall. 27 nch tires are 630mm and 700C tires are 622mm.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.