Pevenage will talk after TDF

poulidor

Jul 31, 2006
The former mentor of Jan Ullrich, Rudy Pevenage, is preparing to explain the doping cases that have called into question in particular in the Puerto affair.

According to the french sports daily L'Equipe, the former director of Telekom and T-Mobile, has offered its exclusive revelations in a Belgian magazine, without quoting, which was to publish them in the course of next week.

The output of his account has been delayed and is scheduled to appear after the Tour de France, because according to L'Equipe, Pevenage reportedly astern to avoid damage at Tour de France. A 54-year, Rudy Pevenage wishes to expose the truth and to defend itself. The daily french believes that its confidences will be overwhelming for some, including his former colleagues sports managers.
Who are his colleagues?

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/217049,former-telekom-official-and-ullrich-mentor-to-talk-about-doping.html

Hamburg - Rudy Pevenage, a former top official at the Telekom cycling team and mentor of its star rider Jan Ullrich, said on Saturday he will talk about doping in the team in the near future. Pevenage said he will talk sometime after the Tour de France which started on Saturday, with French sports daily L'Equipe reporting that he revelations will come in a Belgian magazine.

"I have to sort out a few things. The publishing will come some time after the Tour. It is about time to tell my truth about the whole thing," Pevenade told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.

Pevenage worked at the team since 1995 and was later the mentor of the 1997 Tour winner Ullrich until the rider was kicked out of the team 2006 over alleged cooperation - together with Pevenage - with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes who is at the centre of a Spanish doping probe. Ullrich has denied cheating. He has not spoken about his role when many former Telekom riders including 1996 Tour winner Bjarne Riis and sprinter Erik Zabel said they and other teammates used doping substances in the 1990s.

wicklow200 said:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/217049,former-telekom-official-and-ullrich-mentor-to-talk-about-doping.html

Hamburg - Rudy Pevenage, a former top official at the Telekom cycling team and mentor of its star rider Jan Ullrich, said on Saturday he will talk about doping in the team in the near future. Pevenage said he will talk sometime after the Tour de France which started on Saturday, with French sports daily L'Equipe reporting that he revelations will come in a Belgian magazine.

"I have to sort out a few things. The publishing will come some time after the Tour. It is about time to tell my truth about the whole thing," Pevenade told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa.

Pevenage worked at the team since 1995 and was later the mentor of the 1997 Tour winner Ullrich until the rider was kicked out of the team 2006 over alleged cooperation - together with Pevenage - with Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes who is at the centre of a Spanish doping probe. Ullrich has denied cheating. He has not spoken about his role when many former Telekom riders including 1996 Tour winner Bjarne Riis and sprinter Erik Zabel said they and other teammates used doping substances in the 1990s.
Hopefully we will finally get confirmation of the role of people other than riders. Hopefully some pain will be spread to those who have up until this point gotten off completely free. It has been too easy for DS's etc to get by acting like they knew nothing.

thoughtforfood said:
Hopefully we will finally get confirmation of the role of people other than riders. Hopefully some pain will be spread to those who have up until this point gotten off completely free. It has been too easy for DS's etc to get by acting like they knew nothing.
that would be nice, but my expectations of his "revelations" are consideraly low...

I really don't see why someone like Pevenage won't state the obvious: Everyone was doping and he and the riders were just doing what was necessary to compete. Why be the one cheat when you can truthfully blame the whole system?

Instead he'll go out like this:

"What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ******' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your ******' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!"

poulidor said:
Who are his colleagues?
Colleagues could be taken to mean any rider/DS in the peleton at the time. Let's bear in mind that Ullrich was the eternal second to Lance. Lance retires by choice but Ulle is kicked out of the sport a "cheat". In my mind either or both of Ulle and Pevanage, if they are going to tell the truth, are going to say we had no choice but to go to Fuentes in order to compete with the blood doping at US Postal/Disco.

Rolfrae said:
Colleagues could be taken to mean any rider/DS in the peleton at the time. Let's bear in mind that Ullrich was the eternal second to Lance. Lance retires by choice but Ulle is kicked out of the sport a "cheat". In my mind either or both of Ulle and Pevanage, if they are going to tell the truth, are going to say we had no choice but to go to Fuentes in order to compete with the blood doping at US Postal/Disco.

We might as well win.

whiteboytrash said:
We might as well win.
Indeed WBT. Pevenage might as well tell the truth. I guess his only fear is a lawsuit. He would need to have some proof or other witnesses or it just looks like sour grapes (or at least that's how JB and LA would spin it).

Rolfrae said:
Indeed WBT. Pevenage might as well tell the truth. I guess his only fear is a lawsuit. He would need to have some proof or other witnesses or it just looks like sour grapes (or at least that's how JB and LA would spin it).

I wonder if this interview has Ullrich's blessing ? Funny how this **** always comes out at Tour time. Just like Bruyneel's non-fiction best seller..... They never name names in these interviews although I think Kloden may have to start worrying again.... he may allude to his usage.

As for LA & the Hog. I find it funny reading Vaughters comments about his days at US Postal & the Hogs new book. I honestly believe the Hog has convinced himself that they didnt dope. Bless him.

whiteboytrash said:
I wonder if this interview has Ullrich's blessing ? Funny how this **** always comes out at Tour time. Just like Bruyneel's non-fiction best seller..... They never name names in these interviews although I think Kloden may have to start worrying again.... he may allude to his usage.

As for LA & the Hog. I find it funny reading Vaughters comments about his days at US Postal & the Hogs new book. I honestly believe the Hog has convinced himself that they didnt dope. Bless him.
To his credit, Pevenage requested that it not be published now as he didn't want to damage the Tour.
What did Vaughters say about the Hog's book? EPO and transfusions are doping, are they, better tell the Hog? Or has the he convinced himself that it is not doping unless you test positive?

given that the u.s. investigators will have co-operation from interpol, i'm getting the feeling that the authorities will be asking r.p. about the ways money changed hands, how it was raised, and how it was then covered up in the budget. as for the names that he puts forth, i'm sure that they will bubble to the top of the interview list. wonder if any of his associates will crack before the interview comes out.

slovakguy said:
given that the u.s. investigators will have co-operation from interpol, i'm getting the feeling that the authorities will be asking r.p. about the ways money changed hands, how it was raised, and how it was then covered up in the budget. as for the names that he puts forth, i'm sure that they will bubble to the top of the interview list. wonder if any of his associates will crack before the interview comes out.

Why is Rudy talking now?

I think this is the question.
Has Puerto somehow become entangled with the feds investigation?
I have no basis for saying this and I'm merely speculating.
Or maybe it's because cycling's showcase event is on, that Rudy feels he can maximise publicity by speaking now?

Who knows.

like you, lim, i'm in the dark as to r.p.'s motivation for speaking out now. just have to bide my time until the article comes out and then for the cyclingnews translation.

limerickman said:
Why is Rudy talking now?

...Or maybe it's because cycling's showcase event is on, that Rudy feels he can maximise publicity by speaking now?