Pezcyclingnews: Amstel’15: Drinks On World Champ!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Race Report: Limburg, what a part of the world to have a bike race. The sun beaming down, the tree blossoms gleaming white, fiercely green grass and a sequence of knife-edge climbs that cut riders to the quick. The Amstel Gold is a race as good to look at as it is hard to ride. A war of attrition hammered out across a picture-postcard, spring landscape.Much has been made of the fact that Amstel Gold bullets up the Cauberg four times, but there is a shrapnel scatter of nasty ascents pockmarking the hills and ridges around Maastricht. I still have cold sweats over the Eyserbosweg, where I think I left part of a lung in 2008.Here’s how it went downDeciding that the safest place to be in one of the most notoriously tricky pro races (tight corners, road furniture, and plenty of **** on the tarmac if the weather is wet) are the day’s primary escapees: late substitute Laurens De Vreese for Astana, Jan Polanc (Lampre-Merida), Timo Roosen (LottoNL-Jumbo), a revitalised Linus Gerdemann (Cult Energy), MTN-Qhubeka’s Johann Van Van Zyl and Niki’s little bro’ Mike Terpstra (Team Roompot).The peloton acts like a weary parent who has just dropped behaviourally-challenged toddlers into a ball pit: turns its back, breaks out the newspaper’s Sunday supplements and lets them get on with it. The reluctant baby-sitters are BMC and Movistar, keeping the break in some sort of check, as the kilometers click by and the big climb sequence looms.The lead is six minutes...

View the full article