Pezcyclingnews: Eurotrash Abu Dhabi Monday!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
We’ve had a real race-fest the last few days: Paris-Tours, Paris-Bourges, Gran Premio Citt di Peccioli – Coppa Sabatini, Giro dell’Emilia, Gran Premio Bruno Beghelli and the inaugural Abu Dhabi Tour. Loads of video, reports, results and rider quotes. Contract news, Tour de Yorkshire, Kris Boeckmans and Tom Boonen health up-date and video of the Peter Sagan pit-stop. Another full EuroTrash Monday.TOP STORY: Abu Dhabi Tour, why?The Abu Dhabi Tour looked to be a success, but who for? The riders didn’t seem that interested in riding in 40 plus degrees Celsius over deserts, being sand-blasted with the hot wind. They did perk up when the prizes were on offer, but many of them were very tired at the end of a long season. The fans were quite thin on the ground also, but then Abu Dhabi isn’t a cycling nation, but they do like to sponsor sports events. I just get this feeling of dj vu with the Abu Dhabi Tour, it reminds me of the Tour of Beijing, when it started it was a great race, we were told by the UCI (don’t mention the pollution), in much the same way we have been told how good Abu Dhabi is. Apart from the money, do we need it? This last week has seen a lot of good races in Europe, they didn’t have to top stars, but were every bit as exciting as Abu Dhabi, probably more so. And can someone explain to me what the pit-stop thing with...

View the full article