Pezcyclingnews: Eurotrash Jim Thursday!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
We are in the lull before the storm of the World Championships and so we catch-up with Songezo Jim, the first black south african to finish a Grand Tour. The Worlds start with the team time trial and the teams are starting to name their riders. Results and reports from the GP de Wallonie and the Coppa Agostoni-Giro delle Brianze, plus more contract news, Lombardia course change and Adam Hansen sets the record of 13 Grand Tours in a row.TOP STORY: Songezo Jim: Grand Tour Debut SuccessSongezo Jim becomes the first black South African to finish a cycling grand tour, these are his thoughts:“Getting to my first grand tour was something I really worked hard for so to finish it now, it is a pretty amazing achievement. I am really happy to have made it to Madrid.When I first started the Vuelta I thought Id just be there trying to finish but I was also happy with my performance. I was there to help the team when needed, getting bottles and with Louis doing so well on the GC it was important that we all did our part. I also made it into two breakaways, on stage 9 and stage 18. The first breakaway was good for me because I was still feeling relatively fresh so I enjoyed that day.A grand tour race is different to any other professional race though. Firstly it is a World Tour level event so the standard is really, really high. Then there is the...

View the full article