Pezcyclingnews: High Road: Chasing The Yellow Jersey

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Book Review: There are very few Novels with a cycle sport theme and fewer that can handle the scrutiny of anyone who knows their two wheeled sport inside out. But ‘High Road Chasing the Yellow Jersey‘ by ex-International rider Dave Chauner, really does cut the mustard. John Howard gives us his thoughts on this true to life adventure. I was in the 7th grade, when I checked out of the library Claire Huchet Bishops novel The Big Loop published in 1955. The book was illustrated by Charles Fontsere, and it stirred my passion for bicycles. The primary character was Andre Girard who fit the Horatio Alger rags-to-riches myth with a European flair, a young boy overcoming the odds to become a champion racer in the Tour. Andre was the fictitious embodiment of many true bike racing champions. The story resonated with me, and Fontseres illustrations danced in my brain, igniting my cycling career.Dave Chauners High Road protagonist on the other hand breaks this mold. Daves character, Kurt Dufour comes from an affluent Connecticut family. He is a talented Dartmouth runner and occasional cyclist, barely an adult when he stumbles into a complex relationship with a deeply troubled young woman hell bent on destruction. Kurt is accused of murder, sending his life into turmoil; a finger pointing tight knit New England community is rocked with scandal. Although he is justly acquitted of the charges, emotional scars remain. In a twist of page turning fate, Kurts father, Peter, who three decades earlier...

View the full article