Pezcyclingnews: Lee’s Lowdown: Giro Cogitations!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Two weeks of the Giro d’Italia are behind us and so Lee Rodgers has a good dig into the background stories from Italy. Porte’s demise, shiny legs, controversy and domination from Astana and the lack of rider personalities. All deeply important subjects for the sport of cycling.The past few days have not been good for Skys domestique-turned-Grand Tour hopeful Richie Porte, a downturn in events that hes blamed on a flat tire. Yes, apparently upon waking one morning he realized his customized Lord Fauntleroy caravan was listing badly to one side. Police soon arrived and discovered evidence that the right-side tire had indeed been slashed with what appeared to be a steak knife. Hmmm, things grow curiouser and curiouser. “The caravan is f#cked!”Porte was on good form the next day though verbally if not physically when a journalist asked him why he had not pedaled in hard after the big pile-up on Stage 13 that saw Contador lose the Maglia Rosa to Fabio Aru (or UnFabio if your names Greg Henderson).“I’m not doing any pedaling! My knee’s f#cked!” retorted Porte.“My knee’s f#cked!”It was a moment of harmonious synchronicity as the Aussie somehow channeled both the slightly hysterical Cadel Evans and the moody Bradley Wiggins at the same time. It wasnt quite up there with Evans Step on my dog I cut your head off! but it was a nice effort. Portes retort was, one wag joked, the most interesting thing to come out of his mouth since he regurgitated a...

View the full article