Pezcyclingnews: Pez Roadside: London-surrey Calling!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
The post-Tour hangover can be a rough one. The cold dark shivering night only really ends with the bacon sandwich of the Vuelta. Luckily we had the brief Bloody Mary of salvation last weekend in the form of the San Sebastian Classic and the London-Surrey Classic. Our man, Sam Larner, was roadside in London and hitched a ride in the CCC Sprandi Polkowice team car.The London-Surrey Classic is a strange race in that it heads out of London on a fast course and heads back into London on a fast course but in between it meanders through the beautiful Surrey hills. The hills aren’t very tall, just over 200m, or very steep but with the route featuring 5 categorised climbs and numerous uncategorised ones in its 200km parcours it was never going to be a full bunch sprint.It’s hard to believe that British Continental teams are driving around in this luxury.My usual race watching position is in front of a TV maybe at home or possibly in a pub, but for this race I was going to be in the front seat of the CCC Sprandi Polkowice team car. I was alongside Directeur Sportif Gabriele Missaglia who some readers might recognise as Giro stage winner in 1997 and a podium finisher in San Sebastian and the Amstel Gold Race. In the back we had soigneur Marek Kulas and mechanic Krzysztof Pokorski. Despite the team being Polish the language amongst them was Italian however everyone spoke English well enough for conversation...

View the full article