Pezcyclingnews - Pez Talk: Brian Vandborg

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Interview: Brian Vandborg retired at the end of 2013 after a career that saw him compete for CSC (twice), Discovery Channel, GLS, Liquigas-Doimo, SpiderTech and Cannondale. Two teams folded and a season was ruined due to mononucleosis, but he was a strong team rider to the end. Ed Hood found out more about the man from Snejdjberg.Al Hamilton reported it thus in EuroTrash at the end of 2013:Vandborg to RetireDouble Danish elite time trial champion (and also twice champion at U23 level); Brian Vandborg has announced his retirement at the age of 32 due to not receiving any offers from teams for 2014. The Dane turned professional in 2004 for CSC before moving to Discovery Channel for the 2007 season. In 2008 he had to step down a level to Team GLS before going to Liquigas for two years. 2011 saw him back with Bjarne Riis at Saxo Bank-SunGard, a year with Spider Tech-C10 then this year with Cannondale. Vandborg said to veloropa.dk: I would have liked to have ridden on for another year or two but the spark is not really there at the moment and eventually I felt like Id had my time.As a man who used to give us the low down from races as diverse as San Luis and Catalonia we thought wed catch up with him to see how retirement is treating him:pEZ: How did you first get into cycling, Brian?I casually started riding my bike around the age of 15, but only during the...

View the full article