Pezcyclingnews: Pez Talk: Emma Johansson

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
From broken-boned tears of frustration to racing through her blue and yellow-painted Flemish home-from-home in just three weeks, Emma Johansson took part in her beloved Tour of Flanders once more in 2015. For one of the most stunningly consistent female riders of the last six years, recovering so quickly from a broken collarbone is just one of many victories.But Emma’s season won’t be defined by those three weeks. As she prepared to take on the next phase of her season, we got the low-down on life at Orica-AIS, mentoring the next generation and touched on the strengthening depth of the professional women’s peloton.March 15th. The Novilon EDR Cup ends in a sprint finish outside the Hotel Onder de Linden on the streets of Roden. Kirsten Wild for Hitec Products edges Wiggle-Honda’s Chloe Hosking to repeat her 2014 win. Behind them, however, riders have crashed. Someone came down in front of her and, unable to avoid the crash, Emma Johansson is crying on the tarmac. I was in tears, but not really from the pain. I knew straightaway that my collarbone was broken, but it wasn’t that sore actually. It was more the realisation at that moment that I was going to miss the Ronde van Vlaanderen. It was just such a massive upset.With a medical exam confirming the news, her husband, Martin Vestby, took her home and the only immediate concern was about the treatment rather than returning to racing.There was just no thought that I would come back for...

View the full article