Pezcyclingnews: Pez Talk: Mike Kluge

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
The Vuelta a Espaa is in its final week and it will soon be the World road race championships, then the Giro di Lombardia will finish off the season and all we can do is look forward to 2016. But let’s not forget we have the ‘6 Day’ season and cyclo-cross to take us through those days of cold rain and early nights. Ed Hood caught up with a man from cyclo-cross past – Mike Kluge three time World cross champion. The autumn leaves will fall soon, days will shorten and a young man’s thoughts will turn to. . . Cyclocross!But wait, let’s go back to a time before the Belgians and Dutch ruled the mud. . . Germany’s Mike Kluge is our man; quality road rider, triple World Cyclo-Cross Champion, top mountain bike rider and equipment innovator hes the man who started Focus bikes in 1992. Read on.PEZ: How many wins in your career, Mike?Mike Kluge: I dont know, I didnt count its something I never did.PEZ: Why cross?I did several sports as a young guy volleyball and handball among them but I wanted to compete harder; then I saw the Tour de France on the TV when my countryman Dietrich Thurau was the star. My birthday was in September and for that and my Xmas present I received a road bike to which I fitted off road tyres. I enjoyed the off road stuff, I liked that you had to have the ability to read the course, there...

View the full article