Pezcyclingnews: Pez Talk: Tommy Prim

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Back in the 70’s and 80’s a successful Swedish continental based professional bike racer was about as rare as one from Great Britain. A rider who stood, especially in Italy, was Tommy Prim. He was up against strong opposition from the hundreds of top Italians at the time, even the ones in his own team. Had he been born where did most of his racing his palmars would have been much larger. Ed Hood caught up with Tommy to get his side of the story.And youll have a Vuelta preview ready for August 19th, Ed? Says our Euro Editor, Al Hamilton.Vuelta?My heads still on the Finestre in Italia, I havent even got to lAlpe en France, yet and here we are speaking of the Sierras. Where does time go? So lets go back to the Giro one last time who was the best guy never to win it?My candidate would be a tall, blond, classy Swede by the name of Tommy Prim who was fourth at his first attempt at the race then second on two further occasions. Back in the early 80s it wasnt so easy to jump on a cheap flight so we didnt see as much of the stars then as we do now. But we did thrash the Opel Manta down to the 1982 Worlds at Goodwood on the beautiful South Down hills of England.Italys Giuseppe Saronni turned on the after burners to win up that cruel drag to the finish ahead of Greg Lemond and...

View the full article