Pezcyclingnews: Photog’s View: Reading 120!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
To say I was disappointed to hear of the demise of the Bucks County Classic Road Race last year is a huge understatement. I really loved capturing the grandeur of a bike race on the roads I grew up riding on. But John Eustace came through with a great replacement in the Reading 120. The course was truly a grand showcase for the beautiful country roads of eastern Pennsylvania.Chris Horner was the big draw and fan favorite for the starting line call ups in the historic town of Reading PennsylvaniaThe course consisted of a 74 mile loop on narrow two lane roads through Pennsylvania farm country. Once back in Reading and through the Start/Finish, the race continued with five 9 mile circuits. This included a climb past the famous Reading Pagoda, then along Skyline Drive with the KOM directly in front of the historic fire tower. This gave the fans 5 chances to cheer for their favorites as they raced along the demanding loop.The Peloton crosses the Lindbergh bridge on the way out of town. The town of Reading can be seen in the background. Though the forecast was for afternoon showers, I could feel the sparse drops of rain hitting my face and it was only only 10:30The combination of 180 riders and tight back country roads with rain soaked, slick surfaces meant that I would be spending a fair amount of time at the back of the race. Not to mention the numerous instances of cyclists getting taken...

View the full article