Pezcyclingnews: Toolbox: The Bad Race

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
It started last year, or the year before. Youve spent months preparing mentally, endless hours physically, all building towards THIS EVENT, this focus. Or maybe its just a Saturday and you went racing. Either way the let down and psychological weight of a sub-par performance can be a slippery slope, so what can you do to move forward?I saw an interview with a rider recently who claimed hed never had a bad performance. This young talent has shown promise for big things in the future and seems on a steady path towards reaching the pro ranks, but it gave me pause that hed say that. While it may be true, I think it is also true that eventually he WILL have a bad race. We all have bad races, and I wonder how that might affect him. This past couple of weekends are perfect great examples. Several of my clients had important events on their respective schedules and had prepared as such. One was a National Championship, one was a State Championship, and one was a personal goal. Three different riders, three different disciplines, all with a high priority on the race outcome, yet each had a sub-par race in the end, albeit for very different reasons.Impromptu Life EventsOne of my long-term clients had put a ton of time and effort into his preparations for National Championships a few weeks ago and promptly went out and had the worst performance since weve been working together, and immediately the doubt creeped...

View the full article