Pezcyclingnews: Vuelta’15 Roadside: Crazy Cumbre Del Sol!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Roadside: After his stage 8 finish in Murcia we sent Al Hamilton to cover the full stage from Torrevieja to the climb of the Cumbre del Sol, the climb he previewed earlier this week. The start was busy, but the final climb of the Alto de Puig Llorena was just crazy. It was a tough day, but a good one.Amazingly I had spent the night in Murcia and not had the Vuelta press stickers stolen from my car, which makes a change from previous years. So the morning was off to a good start, a leisurely breakfast of coffee and croissant was just right, but had I known that would be my last meal for twelve hours I would have had the toast as well.Torrevieja is a mixture of port, seaside resort and housing estates with a big mix of nationalities and cultures, plus short-term visitors and the large amount of non-Spanish permanent incomers. A bit like the port, it has a strange mix of craft.There was an enormous crowd just to see the sign-on and hope to get an autograph and a selfie and most if not all riders accepted. MTN-Qhubeka rider, Natnael Berhane was the lucky recipient of a big kiss form a lady in her later years, 70 or 80. He was very good and complied with her wishes; it seemed to put a sparkle in her eye.The Race Village was quite busy with the usual giveaways, Vodafone being the best, a little loudspeaker that links to...

View the full article