Pezcyclingnews: World Pez Talk: Mike Woods

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
There are not many riders on WorldTour teams who have come from middle-distance running. Mike Woods set Canadian national junior records in the mile and 3000 metres in 2005 as well as taking the gold medal in the 1500 metres at the 2005 Pan American Junior Athletics Championships. A recurring stress fracture, made worse by running, persuaded Woods to start cycling and he hasn’t looked back since.Cannondale-Garmins head honcho Jonathan Vaughters may have lost Ryder Hesjedal and Dan Martin but hes also managed to sign one of the most promising new names on the scene, albeit hes 28 years-old – Mike Woods (currently Optum & Canada).Originally a runner Woods has changed sports and risen to World Tour level in just a few seasons, winning his contract on the back of a year which saw him fifth on a stage of the Big Guns early season fave The Tour of the Algarve; a win in the Challenge Cidade de Loule, also in Portugal; a stage win in Gila; a stage win and second on GC in Tour of Utah and a top 10 on GC in the Tour of Alberta.Interesting guy we thought to ourselves, best have a word. . .PEZ: You were a runner at a high level, Mike – what were your best performances?Mike Woods: I had a few really good years in running, particularly between 2005/2006. In 05 I broke the Canadian Junior records in the mile and 3km (they still stand). I believe I am still the...

View the full article