Pezcyclingnews: Worlds’15 Road Race: The Pez Preview!

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Race Preview: The BIG day of the year is here. Yes, the World road race championship, the only race that allows the winner to wear a nice multicoloured jersey for a year. Ed Hood takes a look at the history, the course and who is going to win on Sunday. The Worlds this year is one of the most open races in a long time, but as ever he will deserve his title. A nobody ever wins the Worlds!Heres my top 12 tips, Alastair who have I missed? Boonen, Breschel, Costa, Gilbert, Kristoff, Kwiatkowski, Nibali, Rodriguez, Sagan, Terpstra, Valverde and Van Avermaet. Who have I forgotten?The email returns; Degenkolb and Matthews! Of course – what was I thinking about, missing them out?Alastair also fancies as maybes, Bouhanni, Ulissi and Viviani.My amigo, Ivan likes the two Italians and Degenkolb, with his maybes as Greipel and Stybar; whilst our man in Italia, Ale has his money on Degenkolb and van Avermaet he doesnt fancy any of his countrymen albeit the last time the Worlds were held in the USA in 1986 it was dapper Venetian Moreno Argentin who was quickest.The Worlds’86 in Colorado and Moreno Argentin took the honoursBut you get the picture – there are an awful lot of names to conjure with for these Championships of the World on a course which suits the Classics guys but will also suit the fast men if their teams can stop the lone wolfs like Costa and Kwiatkowski sneaking away.Two in a row...

View the full article