pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst

Rick_G

Jul 30, 2006
Went for a nice ride yesterday with my wife. She was riding along behind me and got a flat. I was riding on the same road as she was, and there wasn't any glass or crud on the road. All of a sudden I hear the dreaded pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst..pfffst. :(

Fortunately I had just bought a spare tube and a CO2 cartridge the other day.

I checked the tire, and found no cuts, and there appeared to be NOTHING that had pierced the tire. And the rim is a Campy Zonda rim that's sealed with no spoke holes, so it doesn't use a rim strip - so that isn't a factor. BTW, the tire is a new Vittoria Daimante inflated to 140 psi (it's max rating is 155 psi).
So whaddya think it might have been? It's got me wonderin. :confused:

Telling us where the hole is makes it easier to tell why it got one in the first place...

It could be almost anything. Tube failure does occur.

BTW you are running your tyres with way too much pressure. You will get a more efficient ride and less flats with the correct pressure for your weight.

Post your weight and we can provide some inflation recommendations.

My wife weighs 100 pounds and I weigh 170.
We both have the same wheels and tires.

The valve looked fine.

170lbs = 77Kg, you weigh the same as me. I'd go for 115psi rear and 105psi front.

100lbs = 45kg, wow thats light. I'm not 100% sure probably 95psi rear and 80psi front.

GClark8 and GeoffS are good with tyre pressure recommendations, they could refine what I've said above.

mikesbytes said:
170lbs = 77Kg, you weigh the same as me. I'd go for 115psi rear and 105psi front.

100lbs = 45kg, wow thats light. I'm not 100% sure probably 95psi rear and 80psi front.
If 45kg = 80-95psi

and 77kg = 105-115psi

110kg = ??? 200psi :eek:

Rick_G said:
I checked the tire, and found no cuts, and there appeared to be NOTHING that had pierced the tire...So whaddya think it might have been? It's got me wonderin.
One of the advantages of carrying a mini pump is that you can pump the tube up, find out where it leaks, and then check the tire/wheel at that location. If you just stick a new tube in without identifying what caused the puncture then you risk having the same thing happen to the new tube.

fauxpas said:
If 45kg = 80-95psi

and 77kg = 105-115psi

110kg = ??? 200psi :eek:
I'd be inclined to run 25mm front and rear rather than 23mm. Pressure mmm??? 125psi front and 135psi rear if the tyre is rated for it. Mabyee 130 front and 140 rear.

Would love to see a really good guide to tyre widths and pressure for the type of riding and weight of rider & bike.

Have you selected your first race in October? Riding F up the central coast ?