PH: Lighweight tripods for walking

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:22:33 -0000, Paul Saunders wrote:

>Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> I've fished it out now. Without the last leg sections and no centre
>> column extension it is 95cm. Using half the centre column it is 110cm.

>Hmm... Thanks. I've just checked my 1 pound tripod and it's 85cm high
>with no column extension, so yours isn't much higher without using all
>the leg sections. Mine's a tad low for some things, but then again it's
>also very flimsy, although still useable with care, so maybe yours is
>also useable at full height, with care? (i.e. no wind, mirror lock

Yeah, usable but beware of gnats sneezing :)

I just set it up to max height and grabbed the column and it is
frightening how much it flexes.

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Phil Cook contained the following:

>I just set it up to max height and grabbed the column and it is
>frightening how much it flexes.

It's your age...

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Phil Cook wrote:

> I just set it up to max height and grabbed the column and it is
> frightening how much it flexes.

Ah, there's nothing holding the legs together on yours, is there? Mine
has that slidy thing that connects the centre column to the three legs,
perhaps it makes a big difference to stability?

Is there a fixed distance away from the centre column that your tripod's
legs stretch out to, or you can stretch them as far as you like, if you
see what I'm getting at?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> I just set it up to max height and grabbed the column and it is
>> frightening how much it flexes.

>Ah, there's nothing holding the legs together on yours, is there? Mine
>has that slidy thing that connects the centre column to the three legs,
>perhaps it makes a big difference to stability?
>
>Is there a fixed distance away from the centre column that your tripod's
>legs stretch out to, or you can stretch them as far as you like, if you
>see what I'm getting at?
>
>Paul
>--
>http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

I'll get the details of a lightweight tripod a pal of mine has. I was
most impressed when I saw it - except for the price, about 75 quid.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:08:53 -0000, Paul Saunders wrote:

>Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> I just set it up to max height and grabbed the column and it is
>> frightening how much it flexes.

>Ah, there's nothing holding the legs together on yours, is there? Mine
>has that slidy thing that connects the centre column to the three legs,
>perhaps it makes a big difference to stability?

No braces.

>Is there a fixed distance away from the centre column that your tripod's
>legs stretch out to, or you can stretch them as far as you like, if you
>see what I'm getting at?

Only one leg angle and it relies on gravity to maintain that angle.

W. D. Grey wrote:

> I'll get the details of a lightweight tripod a pal of mine has.

Thanks.

> I was
> most impressed when I saw it - except for the price, about 75 quid.

Ouch! It seems paradoxical to pay a lot of money for a light tripod,
doesn't it?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>> I was
>> most impressed when I saw it - except for the price, about 75 quid.

>Ouch! It seems paradoxical to pay a lot of money for a light tripod,
>doesn't it?

Indeed it does but I'm sure you'd love it Paul. As I said I was most
impressed.

I'll find out this evening - if he attend the club.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders
<[email protected]> writes
>W. D. Grey wrote:
>
>> I'll get the details of a lightweight tripod a pal of mine has.

>Thanks.
>
>> I was
>> most impressed when I saw it - except for the price, about 75 quid.

>Ouch! It seems paradoxical to pay a lot of money for a light tripod,
>doesn't it?
>
>Paul
>--
>http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Hi Paul, the tripod is a "Velbon Ultra Maxi F" and cost 80ukp. They
were to be seen at the Camera Centre Swansea and there are about 5
models in the range. This one is about middle of the range.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Richard G.
<[email protected]> writes
>In Article <[email protected]>,"W. D. Grey"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi Paul, the tripod is a "Velbon Ultra Maxi F" and cost 80ukp. They
>>were to be seen at the Camera Centre Swansea and there are about 5
>>models in the range. This one is about middle of the range.

>Just in case you missed it 1st time around, you can read about them here.
>http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm
>
>Regards,
>Richard G.

Probably did Richard, but I wasn't sure which model my mate had.

I've had a loot at the site and I'm even more impressed :)
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Richard G.
> <[email protected]> writes
> >In Article <[email protected]>,"W. D. Grey"
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Paul, the tripod is a "Velbon Ultra Maxi F" and cost 80ukp. They
> >>were to be seen at the Camera Centre Swansea and there are about 5
> >>models in the range. This one is about middle of the range.

> >Just in case you missed it 1st time around, you can read about them here.
> >http://www.velbon-tripod.com/ultra_maxi.htm
> >
> >Regards,
> >Richard G.

> Probably did Richard, but I wasn't sure which model my mate had.
>
> I've had a loot at the site and I'm even more impressed :)

Hi Paul and others,

If you are going to spend serious money on a tripod, get a carbon fibre
one. I use an older Velbon Carmagne 640 with a small Linhof ballhead, and
it is a fabulous combination for landscape photography for walkers. Total
weight ca 1800g. I use it with a Mamiya 7. Excellent tripod.

Alan Hogg
University of Waikato
Hamilton, New Zealand.