Phantom Cycles - Ultegra Rear Derailleur

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tom, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I just bought a Ultegra rear derailleur from Phantom Cycles
    (www.phantomcycles.com.au) for $98. These normally retail for about
    $160,
    and I was up at the local bike shop the other day and they showed me
    the
    Shimano wholesale prices and the Ultegra rear derailleurs were $99 +
    freight. This made me a little worried about whether the derailleurs
    on
    Phantom were current model. I gave them a call and they said that they

    were. Is there any way of telling if it is the 2001 model or not?
    Should I
    be worried anyway at this price? Cheers

    Tags:

  2. In aus.bicycle on 29 Mar 2006 12:24:38 -0800
    Tom <[email protected]> wrote:
    > on
    > Phantom were current model. I gave them a call and they said that they
    >
    > were. Is there any way of telling if it is the 2001 model or not?
    > Should I
    > be worried anyway at this price? Cheers

    I wouldn't have thought so... but I've just dealt with them about a
    bike computer and they were very quick and courteous, are sending me a
    new one before I send the old one back.

    So I'd say if you get it and it isn't the current model, then they'll
    take it back.

    On the other hand, if it isn't then time to determine how much that
    really matters.... Is the model changelog big enough to matter?

    Zebee
    - with visions of security updates for derailleurs...

  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    The retailers tell us the margins are slim. So maybe, like a
    "recommended retail price" there's a "recommended wholesale price",
    that is just as negotiable if you have some bargaining power. Your
    supplier might have cut a good deal. Or they might be importing around
    the local agent.

    I'm hoping someone in the trade will say if this is bullshit or not.
    There must be some explanation why I can land stuff from a retail store
    in the US or UK for half to 2/3rds the local price including
    international retail postage, yet the LBS isn't making money (they
    say). Who's making the big margin? I presume the sole importer.

    Donga

  4. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > The retailers tell us the margins are slim. So maybe, like a
    > "recommended retail price" there's a "recommended wholesale price",
    > that is just as negotiable if you have some bargaining power. Your
    > supplier might have cut a good deal. Or they might be importing around
    > the local agent.
    >
    > I'm hoping someone in the trade will say if this is bullshit or not.
    > There must be some explanation why I can land stuff from a retail store
    > in the US or UK for half to 2/3rds the local price including
    > international retail postage, yet the LBS isn't making money (they
    > say). Who's making the big margin? I presume the sole importer.

    As far as I'm aware, there's two rates from Shimano in Australia.
    There's the retailer rate, and there's the manufacturer rate which is
    quite a lot cheaper (I haven't seen the manufacturer rate, but a good
    friend works at Greenspeed and they get manufacturer prices and he
    assures me the price is a lot less than the LBS I work at pays, we get
    the retailer rate!). It's possible that they do different rates for
    bigger shops, but I doubt that they would. AFAIK there's only the two
    rates.

    It's also possible to parallel import bypassing the Shimano local
    distributors which is another way to get bits cheaper. I believe this
    is what pro cycles in Burwood does? The local Shimano dealer in
    Melbourne seems to have mostly lost interest these days, last time he
    paid us a visit he had a bunch ot t-shirts to try and flog to us!