Phantom test ride questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don

This evening I test rode a s/m Phantom for apx 14 miles. I have some questions for experienced
Lightning riders. I am trying to decide if I want a Lightning and second, if I do, Phantom or P-38.
I would only be buying a frame and building it afterwards.

I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD. Seems like I relax more without having to push my
foot onto the pedal. It has been so long that I am not sure if that is the case or not. I also read
that moving cleats one way or the other (which?) can help.

My hands also went to sleep. Especially the thumb and first two fingers. The Phantom had drop bars
like a P-38. Would lowering the bar help?

I liked the bike and it climbed better than my Zak but the hand and feet problem raises flags.
Before I spend my retirement funds again I would like to have a better idea if the bike would
work for me.

I miss the open feeling of the Zak but the Lightning climbed better. I climbed my test hill in the
middle ring. Don't know how many teeth in the ring because I could not find markings. The big ring
had 52t. In my Zak I climb in my 26 smallest ring with a 32 rear cog. Quite a difference.

I could also feel the difference in my knees. Less strain on the Lightning. Not sure if it is
position or the 165 crank vs 170 on my Zak. Not sure if it is illusion but it the 170 on my Zak does
not seem as much too long as the 165 seems on the Lightning. I noticed the Lightning being too long
much more. I think I would want a 155 on
it. Not sure where to get one of those.

I ride a Lightning Phantom II and I love it.

Running shoes are too soft for cycling. That is why you experienced numbness. You would have noticed
that on your Haluzak as well. I had problems with numbness on my RANS Tailwind, but on the Phantom
it is not a problem. With you SPD's on, you will be able to spin properly which will help further. I
never experienced any problems with the drop bars. In fact, I find them very comfortable. You can
adjust them fore and aft, as well as up and down.

I think that the only bike that will outclimb a Phantom--for a given rider--is the P-38. The
difference is noticble. If you are building a bike from a frameset, you should be able to configure
it anyway you wish. There have been many threads on crank length. I will defer to them. I am
satisfied with the 170mm on the Shimano 105 crank I have now.

[email protected] (Don) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This evening I test rode a s/m Phantom for apx 14 miles. I have some questions for experienced
> Lightning riders. I am trying to decide if I want a Lightning and second, if I do, Phantom or
> P-38. I would only be buying a frame and building it afterwards.
>
> I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
> type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
> Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD. Seems like I relax more without having to push my
> foot onto the pedal. It has been so long that I am not sure if that is the case or not. I also
> read that moving cleats one way or the other (which?) can help.
>
> My hands also went to sleep. Especially the thumb and first two fingers. The Phantom had drop bars
> like a P-38. Would lowering the bar help?
>
> I liked the bike and it climbed better than my Zak but the hand and feet problem raises flags.
> Before I spend my retirement funds again I would like to have a better idea if the bike would
> work for me.
>
> I miss the open feeling of the Zak but the Lightning climbed better. I climbed my test hill in the
> middle ring. Don't know how many teeth in the ring because I could not find markings. The big ring
> had 52t. In my Zak I climb in my 26 smallest ring with a 32 rear cog. Quite a difference.
>
> I could also feel the difference in my knees. Less strain on the Lightning. Not sure if it is
> position or the 165 crank vs 170 on my Zak. Not sure if it is illusion but it the 170 on my Zak
> does not seem as much too long as the 165 seems on the Lightning. I noticed the Lightning being
> too long much more. I think I would want a 155 on
> it. Not sure where to get one of those.

"Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
> type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
> Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD.

The height of the BB above the seat is definitely greater on the Phantom. Whether that or your shoes
was causing the problem could only be determined by another long test ride.

I have owned both a Zak and a Phantom in the past and also found the Phantom to be a better climber.

Len

If the drop bars are a problem you can order the P-38 with the Phantom bars. Ben fox "Don"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> This evening I test rode a s/m Phantom for apx 14 miles. I have some questions for experienced
> Lightning riders. I am trying to decide if I want a Lightning and second, if I do, Phantom or
> P-38. I would only be buying a frame and building it afterwards.
>
> Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD. Seems like I relax more without having to push my
> foot onto the pedal. It has been so long that I am not sure if that is the case or not. I also
> read that moving cleats one way or the other (which?) can help.
>
> My hands also went to sleep. Especially the thumb and first two fingers. The Phantom had drop bars
> like a P-38. Would lowering the bar help?
>
> I liked the bike and it climbed better than my Zak but the hand and feet problem raises flags.
> Before I spend my retirement funds again I would like to have a better idea if the bike would
> work for me.
>
> I miss the open feeling of the Zak but the Lightning climbed better. I climbed my test hill in the
> middle ring. Don't know how many teeth in the ring because I could not find markings. The big ring
> had 52t. In my Zak I climb in my 26 smallest ring with a 32 rear cog. Quite a difference.
>
> I could also feel the difference in my knees. Less strain on the Lightning. Not sure if it is
> position or the 165 crank vs 170 on my Zak. Not sure if it is illusion but it the 170 on my Zak
> does not seem as much too long as the 165 seems on the Lightning. I noticed the Lightning being
> too long much more. I think I would want a 155 on
> it. Not sure where to get one of those.

Can't answer all your questions, but I went from a Linear LWB USS, and couldn't be happier with the
Phantom. The middle ring is a 42 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if running shoes are the best way
to test a bike, since the sole is not as resilient as your bike shoes, so that could have been
putting pressure on some of those wonderful nerves us uh, 'mature' riders are plagued with!! I have
a similar problem no matter what bike I'm riding. Chas

I went from a BikeE to a Phantom II, and acquired a Wishbone RT also recently. I get a numb foot on
one side on the Phantom which greatly improved when I wear thin socks and pay attention to not
tightening my shoe too much. Finally switched from size 43 to 45 bike sole with stiffer sole
(Shimano mtn bike shoe) and problem almost gone. Also, switched to eggbeater pedals which I like
better than SPD- seems like I make a complete circle more often but may just be better technique
than different pedal. Don't get numb foot on the Wishbone, but switched to bigger shoes before I
bought it.

The Phantom climbs well, but I climb a little better on my Wishbone. Phantom is my commuter/ all
rounder with fenders, rack, etc. so is set up heavier. Very comfortable seat, but I have to swing to
the side when stopped to touch the ground. (I'm 5'9" and it's a L/XL).It's a great bike. Wishbone is
a little low for city traffic, but is way faster for me.

Mike H

Status
Not open for further replies.