Phantom test ride questions

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Don, Apr 15, 2003.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    This evening I test rode a s/m Phantom for apx 14 miles. I have some questions for experienced
    Lightning riders. I am trying to decide if I want a Lightning and second, if I do, Phantom or P-38.
    I would only be buying a frame and building it afterwards.

    I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
    type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
    Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD. Seems like I relax more without having to push my
    foot onto the pedal. It has been so long that I am not sure if that is the case or not. I also read
    that moving cleats one way or the other (which?) can help.

    My hands also went to sleep. Especially the thumb and first two fingers. The Phantom had drop bars
    like a P-38. Would lowering the bar help?

    I liked the bike and it climbed better than my Zak but the hand and feet problem raises flags.
    Before I spend my retirement funds again I would like to have a better idea if the bike would
    work for me.

    I miss the open feeling of the Zak but the Lightning climbed better. I climbed my test hill in the
    middle ring. Don't know how many teeth in the ring because I could not find markings. The big ring
    had 52t. In my Zak I climb in my 26 smallest ring with a 32 rear cog. Quite a difference.

    I could also feel the difference in my knees. Less strain on the Lightning. Not sure if it is
    position or the 165 crank vs 170 on my Zak. Not sure if it is illusion but it the 170 on my Zak does
    not seem as much too long as the 165 seems on the Lightning. I noticed the Lightning being too long
    much more. I think I would want a 155 on
    it. Not sure where to get one of those.

    Tags:

  2. Bobinator

    Bobinator Guest

    I ride a Lightning Phantom II and I love it.

    Running shoes are too soft for cycling. That is why you experienced numbness. You would have noticed
    that on your Haluzak as well. I had problems with numbness on my RANS Tailwind, but on the Phantom
    it is not a problem. With you SPD's on, you will be able to spin properly which will help further. I
    never experienced any problems with the drop bars. In fact, I find them very comfortable. You can
    adjust them fore and aft, as well as up and down.

    I think that the only bike that will outclimb a Phantom--for a given rider--is the P-38. The
    difference is noticble. If you are building a bike from a frameset, you should be able to configure
    it anyway you wish. There have been many threads on crank length. I will defer to them. I am
    satisfied with the 170mm on the Shimano 105 crank I have now.

  3. "Don" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
    > type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
    > Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD.

    The height of the BB above the seat is definitely greater on the Phantom. Whether that or your shoes
    was causing the problem could only be determined by another long test ride.

    I have owned both a Zak and a Phantom in the past and also found the Phantom to be a better climber.

    Len

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    If the drop bars are a problem you can order the P-38 with the Phantom bars. Ben fox "Don"
    > This evening I test rode a s/m Phantom for apx 14 miles. I have some questions for experienced
    > Lightning riders. I am trying to decide if I want a Lightning and second, if I do, Phantom or
    > P-38. I would only be buying a frame and building it afterwards.
    >
    > I rode in running shoes and my feet went to sleep toward the end of the ride. I normally ride SPD
    > type pedals/shoes on my Haluzak with no problems. I seem to remember having feet problems with the
    > Zak before I switched from street shoes to SPD. Seems like I relax more without having to push my
    > foot onto the pedal. It has been so long that I am not sure if that is the case or not. I also
    > read that moving cleats one way or the other (which?) can help.
    >
    > My hands also went to sleep. Especially the thumb and first two fingers. The Phantom had drop bars
    > like a P-38. Would lowering the bar help?
    >
    > I liked the bike and it climbed better than my Zak but the hand and feet problem raises flags.
    > Before I spend my retirement funds again I would like to have a better idea if the bike would
    > work for me.
    >
    > I miss the open feeling of the Zak but the Lightning climbed better. I climbed my test hill in the
    > middle ring. Don't know how many teeth in the ring because I could not find markings. The big ring
    > had 52t. In my Zak I climb in my 26 smallest ring with a 32 rear cog. Quite a difference.
    >
    > I could also feel the difference in my knees. Less strain on the Lightning. Not sure if it is
    > position or the 165 crank vs 170 on my Zak. Not sure if it is illusion but it the 170 on my Zak
    > does not seem as much too long as the 165 seems on the Lightning. I noticed the Lightning being
    > too long much more. I think I would want a 155 on
    > it. Not sure where to get one of those.

  5. Dj Blag

    Dj Blag Guest

    Can't answer all your questions, but I went from a Linear LWB USS, and couldn't be happier with the
    Phantom. The middle ring is a 42 if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if running shoes are the best way
    to test a bike, since the sole is not as resilient as your bike shoes, so that could have been
    putting pressure on some of those wonderful nerves us uh, 'mature' riders are plagued with!! I have
    a similar problem no matter what bike I'm riding. Chas

  6. I went from a BikeE to a Phantom II, and acquired a Wishbone RT also recently. I get a numb foot on
    one side on the Phantom which greatly improved when I wear thin socks and pay attention to not
    tightening my shoe too much. Finally switched from size 43 to 45 bike sole with stiffer sole
    (Shimano mtn bike shoe) and problem almost gone. Also, switched to eggbeater pedals which I like
    better than SPD- seems like I make a complete circle more often but may just be better technique
    than different pedal. Don't get numb foot on the Wishbone, but switched to bigger shoes before I
    bought it.

    The Phantom climbs well, but I climb a little better on my Wishbone. Phantom is my commuter/ all
    rounder with fenders, rack, etc. so is set up heavier. Very comfortable seat, but I have to swing to
    the side when stopped to touch the ground. (I'm 5'9" and it's a L/XL).It's a great bike. Wishbone is
    a little low for city traffic, but is way faster for me.

    Mike H