Phaze Too!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by unisk8r, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    My 2nd guni model (finally complete except for paint and brake caliper)
    is a slight refinement of Purple Phaze. Improvements are a modified
    frame, allowing a narrower jackshaft and jackshaft housing. This
    leaves room for an 80mm hub flange width, plenty for the 36". Phaze
    Too has better changeability of gear ratios, as it uses standard bike
    58BCD granny rings. Ratios are: 20t = 1.00, 22t = 1.22, 24t = 1.44,
    26t = 1.67, and 28t = 1.96. Although this is still a fixed gear
    machine, the chainrings permit up to 5 choices of gear ratios on one
    jackshaft. Gearing is changed by switching out the chainrings on the
    right crank and inboard jackshaft.

    The hub is a custom Tommi Miller, 135mm bearing width, 100mm flange
    diameter, 80mm flange width, and 35mm hub bearings. The hub is
    drilled on both sides for ISO disc brake pattern (6 x 44BCD), so it
    uses a disc brake on the left side. More reports when I add the brake
    caliper.
    [image: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5892/phazetooside9ph.jpg]

    --
    unisk8r
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

  2. nathan

    nathan Guest

  3. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    Awesome, Pete!!!!!!!!!

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  4. thieum

    thieum Guest

    This is a very impressive guni you put together.
    I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
    chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
    I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
    think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
    versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
    anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
    ride.

    --
    thieum
    thieum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10189

  5. thieum

    thieum Guest

    This is a very impressive guni you put together.
    I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
    chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
    I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
    think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
    versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
    anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
    ride.

    --
    thieum
    thieum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10189

  6. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Cool Pete! I don't think I'll try to keep up with you when you have it
    in 1.96 mode.

    When does the club get a crack at it? I know I'd give thanks for
    that... :)

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  7. tomblackwood

    tomblackwood Guest

    Cool Pete! I don't think I'll try to keep up with you when you have it
    in 1.96 mode.

    When does the club get a crack at it? I know I'd give thanks for
    that... :)

    --
    tomblackwood

    Tailgate at your own risk...

  8. harper

    harper Guest

    tomblackwood wrote:

    > When does the club get a crack at it?

    What do you mean? Like Jeff's Schlumpf 29er, it's our unicycle. We get
    to use it anytime we want. Pete may even get it back someday.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  9. loosejello

    loosejello Guest

    thieum wrote:
    > This is a very impressive guni you put together.
    > I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
    > chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
    > I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
    > think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
    > versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
    > anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
    > ride.

    This would be extremely difficult, as shifting gears requires slack in
    the chain, and in general, slack chains on unicycles are Bad Things.
    What one might be able to do is engineer a CVT - Continuously Variable
    Transmission. That would be quite the beast to learn to ride.

    --
    loosejello
    loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

  10. loosejello

    loosejello Guest

    thieum wrote:
    > This is a very impressive guni you put together.
    > I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
    > chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
    > I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
    > think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
    > versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
    > anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
    > ride.

    This would be extremely difficult, as shifting gears requires slack in
    the chain, and in general, slack chains on unicycles are Bad Things.
    What one might be able to do is engineer a CVT - Continuously Variable
    Transmission. That would be quite the beast to learn to ride.

    --
    loosejello
    loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

  11. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    It's officially available for loan in Seattle, although I hereby impress
    a legal, equitable, and manufacturing lien on it, forecloseable with
    dire consequences! Current gear is 1.44 with 170mm cranks, so you guys
    oughtta be able to handle that..But good thing it's not painted
    yet...:rolleyes:

    --
    unisk8r
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660