Phaze Too!

unisk8r

Guest
My 2nd guni model (finally complete except for paint and brake caliper)
is a slight refinement of Purple Phaze. Improvements are a modified
frame, allowing a narrower jackshaft and jackshaft housing. This
leaves room for an 80mm hub flange width, plenty for the 36". Phaze
Too has better changeability of gear ratios, as it uses standard bike
58BCD granny rings. Ratios are: 20t = 1.00, 22t = 1.22, 24t = 1.44,
26t = 1.67, and 28t = 1.96. Although this is still a fixed gear
machine, the chainrings permit up to 5 choices of gear ratios on one
jackshaft. Gearing is changed by switching out the chainrings on the
right crank and inboard jackshaft.

The hub is a custom Tommi Miller, 135mm bearing width, 100mm flange
diameter, 80mm flange width, and 35mm hub bearings. The hub is
drilled on both sides for ISO disc brake pattern (6 x 44BCD), so it
uses a disc brake on the left side. More reports when I add the brake
caliper.
[image: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5892/phazetooside9ph.jpg]

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Awesome, Pete!!!!!!!!!

--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

This is a very impressive guni you put together.
I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
ride.

--
thieum
thieum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10189

tomblackwood wrote:

> When does the club get a crack at it?

What do you mean? Like Jeff's Schlumpf 29er, it's our unicycle. We get
to use it anytime we want. Pete may even get it back someday.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

thieum wrote:
> This is a very impressive guni you put together.
> I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
> chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
> I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
> think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
> versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
> anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
> ride.

This would be extremely difficult, as shifting gears requires slack in
the chain, and in general, slack chains on unicycles are Bad Things.
What one might be able to do is engineer a CVT - Continuously Variable
Transmission. That would be quite the beast to learn to ride.

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

thieum wrote:
> This is a very impressive guni you put together.
> I was wondering if it was possible at all to make a geared uni with a
> chainig system where you can change gears on the fly, any ideas ?
> I know that the Sclumpf can switch between 1 and 1.5 as you ride, but I
> think the future lays in chaining systems for their price and
> versatility (5 gears in this case). This is why I would be psyched if
> anyone came up with a uni like yours that can somehow be changed as you
> ride.

This would be extremely difficult, as shifting gears requires slack in
the chain, and in general, slack chains on unicycles are Bad Things.
What one might be able to do is engineer a CVT - Continuously Variable
Transmission. That would be quite the beast to learn to ride.

--
loosejello
loosejello's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8295

It's officially available for loan in Seattle, although I hereby impress
a legal, equitable, and manufacturing lien on it, forecloseable with
dire consequences! Current gear is 1.44 with 170mm cranks, so you guys
oughtta be able to handle that..But good thing it's not painted
yet...:rolleyes: