pheasant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Chef, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Chef

    Chef Guest

    Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted for
    just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach ,
    stuffing and bread sauce
    . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states? ttfn
    and merry christmas andy

    Tags:

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    chef wrote:

    > Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
    > for just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach
    > , stuffing and bread sauce
    > . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states?

    I picked up a whole frozen pheasant today to make confit. It's a bit expensive, $7.19 / lb USD, but
    I like it and have it occasionally. This will eventually end up as a rillette.

  3. Peggy

    Peggy Guest

    chef wrote:

    > Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
    > for just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach
    > , stuffing and bread sauce
    > . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states?
    > ttfn and merry christmas andy

    Used to be we could get lots of 'em with our cars, but the population seems to have dwindled as
    suburbanization takes its toll on hedgerows and other pheasant habitat, and foxes and coyotes have
    moved in on their turf. I raised pheasants for awhile, but they're not pleasant animals to have
    around -- high strung, cannibalistic, and stinky. The dog thought they were terrific -- they served
    as doggy TV until we turned the last of them loose.

    There are a few specialty butchers and mail-order places, though, that sell them in the States. But
    they're more expensive than your British (?) find. One more reason to travel back to England.

    Cheers! Peg (in New York's gorgeous, but pheasant-free, Finger Lakes region -- Wine Country!)

  4. Diane Epps

    Diane Epps Guest

    "chef" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
    > for just 40 mins in a very hot oven .
    acompanied
    > with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach , stuffing and bread
    sauce
    > . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you
    get
    > them in the states? ttfn and merry christmas andy
    >
    >You are wuite right that pheasants are very cheap at the moment as are
    rabbits. I had pheasant the other day and used the AWT [Anthony Warrel Thomson] recipe with apples
    and cider. Very good and the caramelised apples were very tastey. Recipe is on
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/ Diane