pheasant

Chef

Guest
Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted for
just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach ,
stuffing and bread sauce
. lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states? ttfn
and merry christmas andy

chef wrote:

> Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
> for just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach
> , stuffing and bread sauce
> . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states?

I picked up a whole frozen pheasant today to make confit. It's a bit expensive, $7.19 / lb USD, but
I like it and have it occasionally. This will eventually end up as a rillette.

chef wrote:

> Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
> for just 40 mins in a very hot oven . acompanied with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach
> , stuffing and bread sauce
> . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you get them in the states?
> ttfn and merry christmas andy

Used to be we could get lots of 'em with our cars, but the population seems to have dwindled as
suburbanization takes its toll on hedgerows and other pheasant habitat, and foxes and coyotes have
moved in on their turf. I raised pheasants for awhile, but they're not pleasant animals to have
around -- high strung, cannibalistic, and stinky. The dog thought they were terrific -- they served
as doggy TV until we turned the last of them loose.

There are a few specialty butchers and mail-order places, though, that sell them in the States. But
they're more expensive than your British (?) find. One more reason to travel back to England.

Cheers! Peg (in New York's gorgeous, but pheasant-free, Finger Lakes region -- Wine Country!)

"chef" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Had plain roast hen pheasant for lunch today simply covered with fat streakey bacon and roasted
> for just 40 mins in a very hot oven .
acompanied
> with roast pumkin ,roast potatoes , baby spinach , stuffing and bread
sauce
> . lovely and so cheap at £ 5 per brace dressed and oven ready . can you
get
> them in the states? ttfn and merry christmas andy
>
>You are wuite right that pheasants are very cheap at the moment as are
rabbits. I had pheasant the other day and used the AWT [Anthony Warrel Thomson] recipe with apples
and cider. Very good and the caramelised apples were very tastey. Recipe is on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/ Diane