Phew! That was close.............

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Yesterday lunch, I rode down to the LBS to pick up the other Maxxis Xenith slick for the front
    wheel, and put it on as soon as I got back to work.

    Checked I was good to go, then whacked in the 80 PSI max and put the wheel back on.

    I noticed the brakes were binding, so I adjusted them, span the wheel. It span twice, and started
    rubbing again........WTF?!?!? Thunk I, and fiddled some more.........with the same results...

    That's when I noticed the braking surface slowly spreading! FFS, I ran for the nearest screwdriver
    and rammed it in the valve hole and let all the air pressure out quick as a flash - the rim braking
    surface, especially at one side had bent outwards from the centre about 20 deg. or so, much more and
    the bead would have popped off with a loud bang and shredding of rubber, most likely. Alternatively,
    if I hadn't noticed and it stayed put, it would likely have lost the plot while I was tearing down a
    hill at 35+ mph with a bunch of loony car drivers behind me, and seen me squished, bloody and
    beaten, if not ever so slightly deceased.

    Seems 15 year old single wall MTB rims don't much care for 80 psi pressures.......

    Anyhow, got a lift home and threw the tyre on a cheap POS front wheel that was kicking about in the
    unit, put the wheel on the bike, and all is good for now.

    Don't know whether to re-build onto the old hub (Exage) (it's lasted me 15 years (10 of constant
    use) with no more than 1 new set of bearings, and 1 new set of cones, and it holds a certain
    nostalgia value), or to just buy another cheap (but better than the POS I 'borrowed') wheel,
    that'll likely cost me much less than new rim, new spokes, new nipples and (inexperienced)
    wheelbuilding time.....

    Shaun aRe

    P.s. - The beater flies with these tyres on! (Hardly surprising). Just wish my (new and unpatched)
    tubes didn't lose ~10 psi a day at these pressures.......

    Tags:

  2. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Yesterday lunch, I rode down to the LBS to pick up the other Maxxis Xenith slick for the front
    > wheel, and put it on as soon as I got back to work.
    >
    > Checked I was good to go, then whacked in the 80 PSI max and put the wheel back on.
    >
    > I noticed the brakes were binding, so I adjusted them, span the wheel. It span twice, and started
    > rubbing again........WTF?!?!? Thunk I, and fiddled some more.........with the same results...
    >
    > That's when I noticed the braking surface slowly spreading!...

    > Seems 15 year old single wall MTB rims don't much care for 80 psi pressures.......

    Don't know whether to re-build onto the old hub (Exage) (it's lasted me 15
    > years (10 of constant use) with no more than 1 new set of bearings, and 1 new set of cones, and it
    > holds a certain nostalgia value), or to just buy another cheap (but better than the POS I
    > 'borrowed') wheel, that'll likely cost me much less than new rim, new spokes, new nipples and
    (inexperienced)
    > wheelbuilding time.....

    Sounds like alucky escape indeed. Whatever you decide to do though, you are going to put an old tyre
    on the wheel and whack it up to 100psi just to see what gives aren't you??

    Steve.

  3. spademan says:

    >Sounds like alucky escape indeed.

    Indeed!

    >Whatever you decide to do though, you are going to put an old tyre on the wheel and whack it up to
    >100psi just to see what gives aren't you??

    Please - and pics, or video............. ;-)

    Steve

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Yesterday lunch, I rode down to the LBS to pick up the other Maxxis
    Xenith
    > > slick for the front wheel, and put it on as soon as I got back to work.
    > >
    > > Checked I was good to go, then whacked in the 80 PSI max and put the
    wheel
    > > back on.
    > >
    > > I noticed the brakes were binding, so I adjusted them, span the wheel.
    It
    > > span twice, and started rubbing again........WTF?!?!? Thunk I, and
    fiddled
    > > some more.........with the same results...
    > >
    > > That's when I noticed the braking surface slowly spreading!...
    >
    > > Seems 15 year old single wall MTB rims don't much care for 80 psi pressures.......
    > >
    > Don't know whether to re-build onto the old hub (Exage) (it's lasted me
    15
    > > years (10 of constant use) with no more than 1 new set of bearings, and
    1
    > > new set of cones, and it holds a certain nostalgia value), or to just
    buy
    > > another cheap (but better than the POS I 'borrowed') wheel, that'll
    likely
    > > cost me much less than new rim, new spokes, new nipples and
    > (inexperienced)
    > > wheelbuilding time.....
    > >

    > Sounds like alucky escape indeed.

    Uh - huh...........

    > Whatever you decide to do though, you are going to put an old tyre on the wheel and whack it up to
    > 100psi just to
    see
    > what gives aren't you??

    Shaun aRe - P.s., did I mention, if anyone is looking for a 26 x 1.5" slick, to get a Maxxis Xenith,
    'cos THEY RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > spademan says:
    >
    > >Sounds like alucky escape indeed.
    >
    > Indeed!
    >
    > >Whatever you decide to do though, you are going to put an old tyre on the wheel and whack it up
    > >to 100psi just to
    see
    > >what gives aren't you??
    >
    > Please - and pics, or video............. ;-)

    Yer a pair o' sick MoFo's!

    Shaun aRe

  6. T_blood

    T_blood Guest

    sounds familier..a few weeks ago I was about my LBS and he just finished trueing a roadies
    rims....pumped the tires and let it set....while he was dealing with me the tube decided to
    go....left all of us with an impressionable memory.

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "T_Blood" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > sounds familier..a few weeks ago I was about my LBS and he just finished trueing a roadies
    > rims....pumped the tires and let it set....while he was dealing with me the tube decided to
    > go....left all of us with an impressionable memory.

    Wouldn't that be an 'indelible' memory? ;^)

    Mike - mind like a rubber stamp.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    T_Blood <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > sounds familier..a few weeks ago I was about my LBS and he just finished trueing a roadies
    > rims....pumped the tires and let it set....while he was dealing with me the tube decided to
    > go....left all of us with an impressionable memory.

    Ouch!

    When I was about 16, I took my cheap roadie style bike into the training centre. Mate of mine who
    was there too grew up in a family of roadies. After I fixed the puncture, I got him to inflate the
    tyres. He bunged 90 psi in there, just like his dad and big bro' did with theirs.

    One our later there's this humongous bang, and the bike shifts itself violently from propped against
    wall to lying on ground. The whole place fell into silence and everyone stared over.........

    The cheap tyre and (steel) rim combo on that bike were made for 35 psi max. Big earache, new tyre
    and tube is what it cost me, but I learned something that day, and so did my mate who got a right
    good kickin'. heheheheh............

    Shaun aRe

  9. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:48:50 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yesterday lunch, I rode down to the LBS to pick up the other Maxxis Xenith slick for the front
    >wheel, and put it on as soon as I got back to work.
    >
    >Checked I was good to go, then whacked in the 80 PSI max and put the wheel back on.
    >
    >I noticed the brakes were binding, so I adjusted them, span the wheel. It span twice, and started
    >rubbing again........WTF?!?!? Thunk I, and fiddled some more.........with the same results...
    >
    >That's when I noticed the braking surface slowly spreading! FFS, I ran for the nearest screwdriver
    >and rammed it in the valve hole and let all the air pressure out quick as a flash - the rim braking
    >surface, especially at one side had bent outwards from the centre about 20 deg. or so, much more
    >and the bead would have popped off with a loud bang and shredding of rubber, most likely.
    >Alternatively, if I hadn't noticed and it stayed put, it would likely have lost the plot while I
    >was tearing down a hill at 35+ mph with a bunch of loony car drivers behind me, and seen me
    >squished, bloody and beaten, if not ever so slightly deceased.
    >
    >Seems 15 year old single wall MTB rims don't much care for 80 psi pressures.......
    >

    >Anyhow, got a lift home and threw the tyre on a cheap POS front wheel that was kicking about in the
    >unit, put the wheel on the bike, and all is good for now.
    >
    >Don't know whether to re-build onto the old hub (Exage) (it's lasted me 15 years (10 of constant
    >use) with no more than 1 new set of bearings, and 1 new set of cones, and it holds a certain
    >nostalgia value), or to just buy another cheap (but better than the POS I 'borrowed') wheel,
    >that'll likely cost me much less than new rim, new spokes, new nipples and (inexperienced)
    >wheelbuilding time.....
    >

    >Shaun aRe
    >
    >P.s. - The beater flies with these tyres on! (Hardly surprising). Just wish my (new and unpatched)
    > tubes didn't lose ~10 psi a day at these pressures.......

    I'm glad you're okay, you had me worried for a minute. I knew you'd pull through.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  10. Bill W says:

    > I knew you'd
    > pull through.
    >

    >I'm glad you're okay, you had me worried for a minute. I knew you'd pull through.

    I'm glad he's OK too, coz you (Bill) had me worried when I read your piece above and mentally heard
    "pull out" instead of "pull through"

    Steve mind in the gutter, brain in the clouds......

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:48:50 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Yesterday lunch, I rode down to the LBS to pick up the other Maxxis
    Xenith
    > >slick for the front wheel, and put it on as soon as I got back to work.
    > >
    > >Checked I was good to go, then whacked in the 80 PSI max and put the
    wheel
    > >back on.
    > >
    > >I noticed the brakes were binding, so I adjusted them, span the wheel. It span twice, and started
    > >rubbing again........WTF?!?!? Thunk I, and
    fiddled
    > >some more.........with the same results...
    > >
    > >That's when I noticed the braking surface slowly spreading! FFS, I ran
    for
    > >the nearest screwdriver and rammed it in the valve hole and let all the
    air
    > >pressure out quick as a flash - the rim braking surface, especially at
    one
    > >side had bent outwards from the centre about 20 deg. or so, much more and the bead would have
    > >popped off with a loud bang and shredding of rubber, most likely. Alternatively, if I hadn't
    > >noticed and it stayed put, it
    would
    > >likely have lost the plot while I was tearing down a hill at 35+ mph with
    > >bunch of loony car drivers behind me, and seen me squished, bloody and beaten, if not ever so
    > >slightly deceased.
    > >
    > >Seems 15 year old single wall MTB rims don't much care for 80 psi pressures.......
    > >

    > >Anyhow, got a lift home and threw the tyre on a cheap POS front wheel
    that
    > >was kicking about in the unit, put the wheel on the bike, and all is good for now.
    > >
    > >Don't know whether to re-build onto the old hub (Exage) (it's lasted me
    15
    > >years (10 of constant use) with no more than 1 new set of bearings, and 1 new set of cones, and
    > >it holds a certain nostalgia value), or to just buy another cheap (but better than the POS I
    > >'borrowed') wheel, that'll
    likely
    > >cost me much less than new rim, new spokes, new nipples and
    (inexperienced)
    > >wheelbuilding time.....
    > >

    > >Shaun aRe
    > >
    > >P.s. - The beater flies with these tyres on! (Hardly surprising). Just
    wish
    > >my (new and unpatched) tubes didn't lose ~10 psi a day at these pressures.......
    >
    > I'm glad you're okay, you had me worried for a minute. I knew you'd pull through.

    Heheheheh - yeah, thanks Preacher, I knew you believed in me ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - Traffic on my commute-route is back up to 'manic' levels after the hol season ;-(

  12. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:15:07 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Heheheheh - yeah, thanks Preacher, I knew you believed in me ',;~}~

    It's pretty funny that you call me Preacher....If you only knew why. (to long to get into)

    >Shaun aRe - Traffic on my commute-route is back up to 'manic' levels after the hol season ;-(

    No kidding, it's nuts here now trying to get in a good road trip after work.

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:15:07 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Heheheheh - yeah, thanks Preacher, I knew you believed in me ',;~}~
    >
    > It's pretty funny that you call me Preacher....If you only knew why. (to long to get into)

    You got my E-mail ',;~}~

    > >Shaun aRe - Traffic on my commute-route is back up to 'manic' levels
    after
    > >the hol season ;-(
    >
    > No kidding, it's nuts here now trying to get in a good road trip after work.

    Sucks, dunnit?!?

    Like I posted here before, my route into work is a narrow road, up one side of a big hill, then down
    the other. Car commuters take it to avoid the busy main road with a lower speed limit, and they
    hammer around the roads like lead footed flat out lunatic arseholes (a few close calls already).

    I don't know WTF I'm gonna do when winter sets in (the road is a _major_ black ice hazard, with
    numerous crashes each winter) and it gets dark up

    see me than usual, and if someone behind me loses it on ice......). To be honest, I'm scared witless
    just at the thought, and I don't scare easy.

    Shaun aRe - Maybe I should get back on a mo'bike............