Phil and Friends

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arthur Clune, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?

    Top ride. Hilly, hot and three tea stops (very rare for me!)

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?
    >
    > Top ride. Hilly, hot and three tea stops (very rare for me!)

    What'd you do Arthur, 100 or 150km?

    I had planned on riding it to make it my third time but couldn't be arsed to
    drive somewhere <1> to ride a bike so just did a local 62 miler instead
    heading out from Leicester doing a 360 around Rutland Water and thence back
    home, nearly all on rolling back roads (apart from the 360 which involved a
    little bit of A road).
    Only one tea stop though :)

    But like you say it's a top ride with plenty of hills, especially Holme
    Moss!

    <1> And borrow the rear mech and cassette of my mtb.

    Regards,
    Pete

  3. davek

    davek Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?

    No, but I've been following the lively debate on the AUK list regarding
    whether or not it was harder than l'Etape. As it's not a designated
    "hilly" event in the AUK calendar, some people assumed it was going to
    be flat... with dire consequences.

    d.

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote:

    : No, but I've been following the lively debate on the AUK list regarding
    : whether or not it was harder than l'Etape. As it's not a designated
    : "hilly" event in the AUK calendar, some people assumed it was going to
    : be flat... with dire consequences.

    It's not even close. I did the 150km ride. Not that hard. Though I did have to
    walk one hill since I only had 38x23 on and there were too many cars to
    zig-zag. Sigh. Even then I thought I wasn't on the steep bit - if I'd know that
    was the steep bit I'd have kept going! (That was Winnats).

    That's what you get for throwing out your good 13-26 cassette instead of your
    old and worn-out 13-23 cassette. Opps!

    The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
    this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

    Is the AUK list archived anywhere? I used to be on it but un-subscribed a
    while ago.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

    : But like you say it's a top ride with plenty of hills, especially Holme
    : Moss!

    I found Holme Moss much easier than I remembered. Winnats didn't agree with
    me though

    : <1> And borrow the rear mech and cassette of my mtb.

    38x23. Not quite low enough!

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > It's not even close.

    What - to the Etape? I expect not. I saw the ITV coverage of their man
    doing the Etape and it looked vicious.

    > That's what you get for throwing out your good 13-26 cassette instead of your
    > old and worn-out 13-23 cassette. Opps!

    Oops indeed.

    > The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
    > this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

    Was it you that did the Fred Whitton this year? I'm definitely up for
    having a go at that.

    > Is the AUK list archived anywhere? I used to be on it but un-subscribed a
    > while ago.

    It's on Yahoogroups but it's a closed list so you'll need to resubscribe
    to access the archives.

    d.

  7. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    davek <[email protected]> wrote:

    :> The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
    :> this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

    : Was it you that did the Fred Whitton this year? I'm definitely up for
    : having a go at that.

    I did indeed. Very highly recommended. Harder than the Phil and Friends by
    a fair margin. Also very different in spirit. The Phil and Friends is a
    nice relaxed audax/CTC type ride, cafe stops etc while the Fred Whitton is
    like a cycle-sportif with everyone timed etc.

    I used 34x26 for the Fred Whitton, which was far more sensible.

    : It's on Yahoogroups but it's a closed list so you'll need to resubscribe
    : to access the archives.

    I managed to find it and read the archive. Ta.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I found Holme Moss much easier than I remembered. Winnats didn't agree

    with
    > me though

    Aha! The fill 150km, respect!

    > 38x23. Not quite low enough!

    I spoilt myself with a 39x32.

    Rgds,
    Pete

  9. gemarc

    gemarc New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Did winnats today with a smallish headwind

    Well when I say did I mean including 2 stops:)

    That hill is very tough.

  10. anderson

    anderson New Member

    Joined: