Phil and Friends

Arthur Clune

Guest
Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?

Top ride. Hilly, hot and three tea stops (very rare for me!)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?
>
> Top ride. Hilly, hot and three tea stops (very rare for me!)

What'd you do Arthur, 100 or 150km?

I had planned on riding it to make it my third time but couldn't be arsed to
drive somewhere <1> to ride a bike so just did a local 62 miler instead
heading out from Leicester doing a 360 around Rutland Water and thence back
home, nearly all on rolling back roads (apart from the 360 which involved a
little bit of A road).
Only one tea stop though :)

But like you say it's a top ride with plenty of hills, especially Holme
Moss!

<1> And borrow the rear mech and cassette of my mtb.

Regards,
Pete

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?

No, but I've been following the lively debate on the AUK list regarding
whether or not it was harder than l'Etape. As it's not a designated
"hilly" event in the AUK calendar, some people assumed it was going to
be flat... with dire consequences.

d.

davek <[email protected]> wrote:

: No, but I've been following the lively debate on the AUK list regarding
: whether or not it was harder than l'Etape. As it's not a designated
: "hilly" event in the AUK calendar, some people assumed it was going to
: be flat... with dire consequences.

It's not even close. I did the 150km ride. Not that hard. Though I did have to
walk one hill since I only had 38x23 on and there were too many cars to
zig-zag. Sigh. Even then I thought I wasn't on the steep bit - if I'd know that
was the steep bit I'd have kept going! (That was Winnats).

That's what you get for throwing out your good 13-26 cassette instead of your
old and worn-out 13-23 cassette. Opps!

The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

Is the AUK list archived anywhere? I used to be on it but un-subscribed a
while ago.

Arthur

--

Peter B <[email protected]> wrote:

: But like you say it's a top ride with plenty of hills, especially Holme
: Moss!

I found Holme Moss much easier than I remembered. Winnats didn't agree with
me though

: <1> And borrow the rear mech and cassette of my mtb.

38x23. Not quite low enough!

Arthur

--

Arthur Clune wrote:
> It's not even close.

What - to the Etape? I expect not. I saw the ITV coverage of their man
doing the Etape and it looked vicious.

> That's what you get for throwing out your good 13-26 cassette instead of your
> old and worn-out 13-23 cassette. Opps!

Oops indeed.

> The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
> this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

Was it you that did the Fred Whitton this year? I'm definitely up for
having a go at that.

> Is the AUK list archived anywhere? I used to be on it but un-subscribed a
> while ago.

It's on Yahoogroups but it's a closed list so you'll need to resubscribe
to access the archives.

d.

davek <[email protected]> wrote:

:> The rest of the route wasn't that hard really. But then having done La Marmotte
:> this year I'm finding most UK riding flat!

: Was it you that did the Fred Whitton this year? I'm definitely up for
: having a go at that.

I did indeed. Very highly recommended. Harder than the Phil and Friends by
a fair margin. Also very different in spirit. The Phil and Friends is a
nice relaxed audax/CTC type ride, cafe stops etc while the Fred Whitton is
like a cycle-sportif with everyone timed etc.

I used 34x26 for the Fred Whitton, which was far more sensible.

: It's on Yahoogroups but it's a closed list so you'll need to resubscribe
: to access the archives.

I managed to find it and read the archive. Ta.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I found Holme Moss much easier than I remembered. Winnats didn't agree

with
> me though

Aha! The fill 150km, respect!

> 38x23. Not quite low enough!

I spoilt myself with a 39x32.

Rgds,
Pete

Did winnats today with a smallish headwind

Well when I say did I mean including 2 stops:)

That hill is very tough.

Arthur Clune said:
Anyone else ride the Phil and Friends ride in Sheffield on Sunday?

Top ride. Hilly, hot and three tea stops (very rare for me!)

Arthur

I did the 100k ride. It was hilly but nowhere near as hard the Cotswold Corker which takes place in February around these parts.

M. Anderson