Phil & Friends 17 aug

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Aug 13, 2003.

  1. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    Hi,

    Anyone here doing the Phil & Friends ride this
    Sunday ?

    I am, & hope to complete the full route.

    I've never ridden Holme moss b4, but I'am going
    up there Thurs PM to give a couple goes.

    Del.

    Tags:

  2. Mule

    Mule Guest

    > Anyone here doing the Phil & Friends ride this Sunday ?

    I've heard about this ride but what will it be like? Is it tough? Also what do you need to
    do to enter?

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  3. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    You should visit ...CTC website.

    It should be tough. you can enter on the day.

    The old Prutour used to ride some of the route.

    www.ctc.org.uk

    Del.

  4. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Thought about it but decided against it on the grounds that I can't be ar$ed to do a tough ride so soon after the Pyrenees.

  5. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    I would imagine the French lumpy bits to be a bit tougher
    than Peak District.

    del.

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone here doing the Phil & Friends ride this Sunday ?

    Yup, I am. Done the 100k route last year and was planning to do the 150k on Sunday but not sure I'm
    fit enough and don't believe in spoiling a good ride by overdoing it so probably the 100k again.

    Look out for an old git on a tasty blue Cannondale wearing a blue Specialized plastic
    beanie (helmet).

    What distinguishing features do you posess?

    > I've never ridden Holme moss b4, but I'am going up there Thurs PM to give a couple goes.

    It goes on a bit but the view is fantastic so long as you avoid looking too far ahead :) There are
    a few short sharp climbs on the stretch between Stannington and Langsett.

    Enjoy, Pete

  7. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    I'll be on a silver Trek 5900 , black forks.

    del.

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    Re his own unique features:
    > Look out for an old git on a tasty blue Cannondale wearing a blue Specialized plastic beanie
    > (helmet).
    >
    > What distinguishing features do you posess?

    And Del replied: I'll be on a silver Trek 5900 , black forks.

    Well, that's it then, me being on a blue bike and you on a silver one should make us easy to spot
    amongst the other 5 or 600 hundred bikes :)

    Should you think you spot me the code phrase is "The rain in Moscow is cold in February" and my
    confirmation will be "But in Murmansk it is always so".

    Read, digest and burn this e-mail.

    Pete

  9. rigsby@degsy

    [email protected] New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2003
    I completed the 150KM course yesterday.

    It took me 6h 35mins.

    Very hard work .....just glad that it was at this time of
    the year & not in April as I wouldn't have had the miles
    of training behind me.

    It was enjoyable though & i don't feel to strained
    after the event.

    I had to stop on Winnats Pass to allow cars through, as I was getting worried I might fall off & into the path of a car...
    I got back on when they cleared & rode the last 400-500metres
    quite easily..
    I saw some riders with triple chainsets...
    I had a double (52-39front, 13-26cass).
    I must try & get a 13-29 for the French mountains
    next summer.

    A good effort buy all the riders...
    I hardly saw anyone pushing bikes uphills...
    unlike the BHF..Manchester-Birmingham (April 03)..

    I would certainly do it again.

    Del.

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I completed the 150KM course yesterday.
    >
    > It took me 6h 35mins.

    Well done that man! I only managed the 100km and that took me 5 hrs 15mins
    :-(

    > i don't feel to strained after the event.

    I'd like to say I don't but what's the point in lying? :)

    > I had a double (52-39front, 13-26cass).

    Yeah, seen a few gamely hauling 42/23's but not me, I was cosseted with a
    39/32 courtesy of my mtb cassette and rear mech purloined for the occasion.

    > A good effort buy all the riders... I hardly saw anyone pushing bikes uphills... unlike the
    > BHF..Manchester-Birmingham (April 03)..

    I did see someone wearing a polka-dot jersey walking up Holme Moss, I have a suspicion it was
    an imposter!

    > I would certainly do it again.

    Me too, apart from a streak of masochism I'd still like to do the 150km route or at least improve my
    time for the 100.

    Pete

  11. I was probably the "lanern rouge" for the whole ride. Started at Stannington at 10:00 (stupid
    trains), got back to Sheffield at 18:30. Ugh. Nice scenary at Holme Moss (now climbed it both ways)
    and (especially) Edale. Quite boring from Glossop to Chapel en le Frith though.

    Don't think I'll be doing that ride again.

    ---