Phil grease not for seatposts?

Jeff

Guest
I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.

And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"

Why?

'Seat post' grease costs extra.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.
>
> And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"
>
> Why?

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.
>
> And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"
>
> Why?

I couldn't tell you why. I use it for darn near everything on the bike, including seatposts.

Why don't you contact the shop, on whose website you saw it, and ask them? Then tell us.

Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.

Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour

"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
applications."

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 +0000, Jeff wrote:

> Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
>
> Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
>
> "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
> applications."

Now I understand. I always thought that aluminum was a metal.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
>
> Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
>
> "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
> applications."

I would really like to see some facts or some solid evidence to back this up. It's
counter-intuitive. Good lord, Phil Wood has made bottom bracket cups out of steel and aluminum, that
have been fitted in huge numbers of steel and aluminum framed bikes, and I would be VERY surprised
if not more than a few were lubed with his WaterProof grease. And I've not heard of any of these
bikes falling apart *****-nilly due to "grease reaction with the aluminum/metal connection".

About the only reason I can think of not to use Phil Wood grease is because of the "dollar/wallet
reaction. (lithium grease is somewhat cheaper)

> > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not
> for
> > > seat posts. And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings" Why?

> "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I couldn't tell you why. I use it for darn near everything on the bike, including seatposts.
> >
> > Why don't you contact the shop, on whose website you saw it, and ask
them?
> > Then tell us.

"Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source. Emailed www.licktons.com,
> rec'd answer within an hour "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil
> for metal and metal applications."

I used to think of aluminum as a metal. Is this a joke?

Jeff wrote:
> Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
>
> Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
>
> "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
> applications."
... I have a hard time with this. It's synthetic. I thought that synthetics didn't "react" with
anything -- one of their virtues! I use it for almost everything on my bike that moves and have
never had a problem.

Of course, my seatpost is al-al (metal-metal), so I don't have a problem :).

David

Jeff-<< I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.

bugle oil...any decent grease will work for greasing a seatube/post interface.

<< And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"

Permatex 'grease' is also antisieze, not for ball bearings and such but either can be used for a
seattube...

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
>
>Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
>
>"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
>applications."

Sounds like the folks at Lickton's are the ones that need to be on Lithium...

For what its worth, I am a happy lickton's customer. They respond to my emails and ship
items promptly.

"GregR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
> >
> >Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
> >
> >"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil
for
> >metal and metal applications."
>
> Sounds like the folks at Lickton's are the ones that need to be on Lithium...

I don't think this is a knock on Lickton's. I, for one, would like to know what they know
about this.

On 20 Apr 2003 10:00:27 +0950 dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:

>Good grief! What if you have a Ti bike with carbon fiber seat post?

In that case you need the very special, and extremely expensive, Ti-lube only sold by boutique
lubricant shops.

Mine comes in a can marked Lubriplate 130-AA. If you ask real nice I can get you a can for just a
few times the price of more mundane grease.

-
Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

--------------070905090203020701080201 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Pete Geurds wrote:

>>Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
>>
>>"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
>>applications."
>>

>hmm....... good thing there's no aluminum/metal in the hubs! ; )

LOL !

--------------070905090203020701080201 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

cite="[email protected]"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre
wrap="">Emailed <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.licktons.com">www.licktons.com</a>, rec'd answer within an hour

"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
applications."

--------------070905090203020701080201--

Jim,

If you think the Lubriplate 130-AA is good, try the 630-2. It is seriously better...

Bruce