Phil grease not for seatposts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Apr 19, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.

    And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"

    Why?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    'Seat post' grease costs extra.

  3. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.
    >
    > And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"
    >
    > Why?

    I couldn't tell you why. I use it for darn near everything on the bike, including seatposts.

    Why don't you contact the shop, on whose website you saw it, and ask them? Then tell us.

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.

    Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour

    "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    applications."

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not
    for
    > > seat posts.
    > >
    > > And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"
    > >
    > > Why?
    >
    > I couldn't tell you why. I use it for darn near everything on the bike, including seatposts.
    >
    > Why don't you contact the shop, on whose website you saw it, and ask them? Then tell us.

  5. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    Good grief! What if you have a Ti bike with carbon fiber seat post?

  6. On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 +0000, Jeff wrote:

    > Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    >
    > Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    >
    > "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    > applications."

    Now I understand. I always thought that aluminum was a metal.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

  7. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    >
    > Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    >
    > "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    > applications."

    I would really like to see some facts or some solid evidence to back this up. It's
    counter-intuitive. Good lord, Phil Wood has made bottom bracket cups out of steel and aluminum, that
    have been fitted in huge numbers of steel and aluminum framed bikes, and I would be VERY surprised
    if not more than a few were lubed with his WaterProof grease. And I've not heard of any of these
    bikes falling apart willy-nilly due to "grease reaction with the aluminum/metal connection".

    About the only reason I can think of not to use Phil Wood grease is because of the "dollar/wallet
    reaction. (lithium grease is somewhat cheaper)

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not
    > for
    > > > seat posts. And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings" Why?

    > "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I couldn't tell you why. I use it for darn near everything on the bike, including seatposts.
    > >
    > > Why don't you contact the shop, on whose website you saw it, and ask
    them?
    > > Then tell us.

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source. Emailed www.licktons.com,
    > rec'd answer within an hour "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil
    > for metal and metal applications."

    I used to think of aluminum as a metal. Is this a joke?

  9. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    >
    > Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    >
    > "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    > applications."
    ... I have a hard time with this. It's synthetic. I thought that synthetics didn't "react" with
    anything -- one of their virtues! I use it for almost everything on my bike that moves and have
    never had a problem.

    Of course, my seatpost is al-al (metal-metal), so I don't have a problem :).

    David

  10. Jeff-<< I saw a bike shop web site warning Phil Wood Waterproof Grease is not for seat posts.

    bugle oil...any decent grease will work for greasing a seatube/post interface.

    << And looking at the tube, I see it is "For Ball and Roller Bearings"

    Permatex 'grease' is also antisieze, not for ball bearings and such but either can be used for a
    seattube...

  11. Gregr

    Gregr Guest

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    >
    >Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    >
    >"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    >applications."

    Sounds like the folks at Lickton's are the ones that need to be on Lithium...

  12. Ari

    Ari Guest

    For what its worth, I am a happy lickton's customer. They respond to my emails and ship
    items promptly.

    "GregR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    > >
    > >Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    > >
    > >"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil
    for
    > >metal and metal applications."
    >
    > Sounds like the folks at Lickton's are the ones that need to be on Lithium...

  13. I don't think this is a knock on Lickton's. I, for one, would like to know what they know
    about this.

    "ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For what its worth, I am a happy lickton's customer. They respond to my emails and ship items
    > promptly.
    >

    > "GregR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 21:39:53 GMT, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Ahhhh, I overlooked the obvious sensible approach, go to the source.
    > > >
    > > >Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    > > >
    > > >"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil
    > for
    > > >metal and metal applications."
    > >
    > > Sounds like the folks at Lickton's are the ones that need to be on Lithium...

  14. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On 20 Apr 2003 10:00:27 +0950 dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Good grief! What if you have a Ti bike with carbon fiber seat post?

    In that case you need the very special, and extremely expensive, Ti-lube only sold by boutique
    lubricant shops.

    Mine comes in a can marked Lubriplate 130-AA. If you ask real nice I can get you a can for just a
    few times the price of more mundane grease.

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected] Madison, WI 53711 USA

  15. John Albergo

    John Albergo Guest

    --------------070905090203020701080201 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    Pete Geurds wrote:

    >>Emailed www.licktons.com, rec'd answer within an hour
    >>
    >>"It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    >>applications."
    >>

    >hmm....... good thing there's no aluminum/metal in the hubs! ; )

    LOL !

    --------------070905090203020701080201 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    cite="[email protected]"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre
    wrap="">Emailed <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
    href="http://www.licktons.com">www.licktons.com</a>, rec'd answer within an hour

    "It reacts with the aluminum/metal connection. Use lithium. Save Phil for metal and metal
    applications."

    --------------070905090203020701080201--

  16. Jim,

    If you think the Lubriplate 130-AA is good, try the 630-2. It is seriously better...

    Bruce