Phil Liggett suggests Landis maybe innocent

tucsonguy

Aug 7, 2006
Here I go with another thread with the word 'innocent' related to Landis.

This just came over the internet from News24:

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1980106,00.html

Phil Liggett is reserving his judgement on the matter, but seems to show some scepticism about Floyd's guilt.

He states that Floyd's lawyer has never lost a similar case to Floyd's.

I for one really want Floyd to be found innocent.

I think if I were in Floyd's situation I would have said sometime like, "I certainly would have liked to have taken some suppliment to give me the extra boost on stage 17, after bonking the day before, but I didn't take anything. It was just my muscles, my mind and sweat the won the stage.
I would never be so stupid or discredit myself, my team and our sponsers to do such a thing as take drugs."

I think a statement like that would have gone much further than what he has said so far.

I really hope he wins in the appeals process.

tucson guy
p.s. it is hot here in tucson...

tucsonguy said:

This just came over the internet from News24:

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_1980106,00.html

Phil Liggett is reserving his judgement on the matter, but seems to show some scepticism about Floyd's guilt.

He states that Floyd's lawyer has never lost a similar case to Floyd's.

I for one really want Floyd to be found innocent.

I think if I were in Floyd's situation I would have said sometime like, "I certainly would have liked to have taken some suppliment to give me the extra boost on stage 17, after bonking the day before, but I didn't take anything. It was just my muscles, my mind and sweat the won the stage.
I would never be so stupid or discredit myself, my team and our sponsers to do such a thing as take drugs."

I think a statement like that would have gone much further than what he has said so far.

tucson guy
p.s. it is hot here in tucson...

Well, nice to hear someone voice doubts since the process has been so weird.
I worry though that the previous T/E tests overthrown have not included the carbon isotope test Landis had.
And of course, Phil will land the first interview with Landis having said this in the media if FLoyd is later innocent.

Phil has been pretty hard core about cheating and repeatedly said on OLN life ban first offense which Bob Roll and Paul Sherwen disagreed with. Good cop Bad cop perhaps.

The other angle of course is that between the OLN gig and the cycling videos he sells, he stands to lose a lot if Floyd is guilty. I hate myself for even thinking that, but still...

tucsonguy said:

I hear the Wildebeest coming...... Must be a million strong.

lw

In reality I think all of us want him to be not guilty, but I'm affraid it looks real bad for him and we will never know the truth. Welcome Tucsonguy.

tucsonguy said:
I think there is a fair chance that he'll get found "not guilty" on a technicality.
But I don't think there is any chance that he is actually "innocent". Ditto for Pereiro & Kloden though.

patch70 said:
I think there is a fair chance that he'll get found "not guilty" on a technicality.
But I don't think there is any chance that he is actually "innocent". Ditto for Pereiro & Kloden though.
Before the information about the IRMS testing came out, I thought he would probably get off. Having your ratio high because of almost immeasurable levels of epitestosterone seems like it gives you some wiggle room or at least additional arguments to make against the test. Now, I don't think it is likely.

I wouldn't feel too bad if he beats the rap. The current scapegoat justice system is so capricious that in some ways it is worse than no system at all.

DiabloScott said:
I think Phil Liggett may be on the juice himself.
I met Phil Liggett in 2002, when he was announcing for OLN. Being a former NFL player with vast connections to the black market supply line of performance enhancing drugs, I said to Phil, "You don't need to call cycling for OLN. Just let me know and I'll bring the power like Scotty."

And he said, "No, Martin. I can call races without that ****."

If he didn't need it then, why would he need it now?

Phil Liggett has never failed a drug test, and even if he did, it wouldn't mean anything.

I believe Phil.

Well considering he is innocent he would say exactly what he is stating now. It's a mistake and I am innocent.
If he is guilty he would posture ,try to sway public opinion and say exactly what he is saying now.
Either way we well take to decision and need to move on.

Martin Jackson said:
I met Phil Liggett in 2002, when he was announcing for OLN. Being a former NFL player with vast connections to the black market supply line of performance enhancing drugs, I said to Phil, "You don't need to call cycling for OLN. Just let me know and I'll bring the power like Scotty."

And he said, "No, Martin. I can call races without that ****."

If he didn't need it then, why would he need it now?

Phil Liggett has never failed a drug test, and even if he did, it wouldn't mean anything.

I believe Phil.

I met Phil in a bar at the Edinburgh Festival just last night and he was out of his face on a cocktail of whisky and deep-fried haggis. Through the slur of profanities I manage to ascertain that actually Laurent Fignon won the 1989 Tour by 8 seconds but Phil and his erstwhile (equally intoxicated) colleague Paul were too pumped to read the stop watch. He also told me that Gianni Bugno was dropped to earth by aliens at Roswell and, "should never have won the Tour." I told him that Bugno never won the Tour and he said, "that's the way it should be," and then he flew off round the room in what his doctors refer top as a 'Landis rage'.