Phil Tenacious Oil Changes???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Mishler, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Mishler

Gary Mishler Guest

I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil today to replace my near empty bottle.

In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green but in the new bottle it's a brownish/red color.

Has the oil changed other than in color? If so, in what way(s)? Why?

Thanks, Mish

Tags:

2. Doug Huffman

Doug Huffman Guest

Ask 'Phil' at [email protected] .com

"Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil today to replace my near empty bottle.
    >
    > In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green but in the new bottle it's a brownish/red color.
    >
    > Has the oil changed other than in color? If so, in what way(s)? Why?
    >
    > Thanks, Mish

3. Gary Mishler

Gary Mishler Guest

4. I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    but in the new bottle it's a
    > brownish/red color.
    >

They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like chainsaw
    lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.

Regards, Larry

5. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:29:29 GMT, "Lawrence Fieman" <[email protected]> may have said:

>
    > I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    > but in the new bottle it's a
    >> brownish/red color.
    >>
    >
    >They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like chainsaw
    >lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.

Phil's website says they get it from a very specific and singular source, but it's possible that the
    coloring agent was left out. Dyes. after all, don't add anything to the ability of the oil to
    lubricate, but they do add to its ability to stain.

---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

6. I just spoke to Brent at Phil Wood, here's the skinny:

They never used any "dye." There was, however an additive that gave it the green color.

They have switched to a new, better additive, but this one isn't green.

I'm lobbying them to do another production run of the frame mount bottle cages they had a few years
    ago to fit their oil bottles.

Sheldon "My Favorite Lube" Brown +--------------------------------------------------------+
    | The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep. | --W. C. Fields |
    +--------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

7. Gary Mishler

Gary Mishler Guest

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just spoke to Brent at Phil Wood, here's the skinny:
    >
    > They never used any "dye." There was, however an additive that gave it the green color.
    >
    > They have switched to a new, better additive, but this one isn't green.
    >
    > I'm lobbying them to do another production run of the frame mount bottle cages they had a few
    > years ago to fit their oil bottles.

Thanks Sheldon!

8. Gary Smiley

Gary Smiley Guest

I agree- when you apply either Phil Wood or chainsaw oil to a chain and then spin the crank, the oil
    creates short-lived "spider webs" due to viscosity. They seem very similar to me, except that Phil
    Wood oil costs around $6 for four ounces, and chainsaw oil costs around a buck for 16 ounces. You do
    the math. I've found that although Phil Wood oil tenaciously sticks to your chain, road dirt, grit,
    and sand will tenaciously stick to it as well. I've been using Boeshield T9 and I'm OK with it (at
    least until somebody points me to something better).

Lawrence Fieman wrote:

> I bought a new bottle of Phil Tenacious Oil ......> In the previous bottle the oil was dyed green
    > but in the new bottle it's a
    > > brownish/red color.
    > >
    >
    > They may buy bulk oil and repackage it. By casual observation, Phil Tenacious is much like
    > chainsaw lube. My 2 gallon container of chainsaw lube is contains brownish/red oil.
    >
    > Regards, Larry

9. Gary Mishler

Gary Mishler Guest

10. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On 14 Jul 2003 13:16:13 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) may have said:

>gary-<< What viscosity, or does it matter? >><BR><BR>
    >
    >I use 5w-15

And that's probably as close to an all-temperature lube as you can get; I wouldn't expect it to
    cause things to get excessively stiff in cold weather.

---
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.