phil wood bb install help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ari, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Ari

    Ari Guest

    Is it possible to install using just one splined BB tool? There has to be a way to get it done. I
    was hoping on going for a ride tomorrow aftenoon on my new bike.

    tia

    Tags:

  2. > Is it possible to install using just one splined BB tool? There has to be
    > way to get it done. I was hoping on going for a ride tomorrow aftenoon on
    my
    > new bike.

    If it's English thread, yes, since the two sides thread opposite of each other. Adjust the chainring
    side first, setting the chainline correctly, then do the final tightening from the other side. If
    you've got an Italian-threaded bottom bracket, then no, you shouldn't attempt to install a Phil bb
    using just one wrench.

  3. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    > If you've got an Italian-threaded bottom bracket, then no, you shouldn't attempt to install a Phil
    > bb using just one wrench.

    Why not, Mike? I've done plenty of Italian and French Phil BBs with one wrench with no problems.
    Phil Brown

  4. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > If you've got an Italian-threaded bottom bracket, then no, you shouldn't attempt to
    install
    > >a Phil bb using just one wrench.
    >
    > Why not, Mike? I've done plenty of Italian and French Phil BBs with one wrench with no problems.

    That's my experience also, except it's one tool and a flat screwdriver.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  5. I've always used just one tool. Snug the retaining rings and be sure you'r chainline is right first.
    then tighten either. The other one shouldn't turn. If it does, use some locktite on it (then you
    won't have to undo it and lose your chainline either).

  6. > Why not, Mike? I've done plenty of Italian and French Phil BBs with one wrench with no problems.

    The problem is that (on an Italian or French-threaded bb) you've essentially got one
    continuous thread through the bottom bracket, and some of the torque from tightening it on the
    one side is trying to spin it out the other. Better to be able to hold one side steady while
    tightening the other.