Phil Wood Bottom Bracket installed correctly?

Hello all,

Thanks for your help in the topic:
Phil Wood Bottom Brackets Interchangeable?

I did get the Phil Wood bottom bracket with the
Italian threads from Ebay. My bike has French threads.

It was a very old bottom bracket, the people at the
bike store said. Perhaps from the seventies.

It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.

I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.

Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:

http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg

I would have expected that they would have gone in
all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
prevents this.

The ring on the chainwheel side, is about 1/2 way in.
The ring on the other side, is only about 1/3 of the way in.

Question: is this ok? Or, should I worry, and buy
another unit that would have a narrower sealed unit?
That way, the rings would go in all the way, and there
would be more threads to hold the unit in place.

I have to say, it sure is smooth! And not a sound from
the bottom bracket. So, when I pedal slowly down
a quiet road, I hear the wonderful silence. Very Nice!
I should have done this years ago.

Not sure but 2mm is basically the width of a spoke and splitting it between
r and l, I would think it doesn't matter much, esp as much as preventing the
cups from going most of the way in.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for your help in the topic:
> Phil Wood Bottom Brackets Interchangeable?
>
> I did get the Phil Wood bottom bracket with the
> Italian threads from Ebay. My bike has French threads.
>
> It was a very old bottom bracket, the people at the
> bike store said. Perhaps from the seventies.
>
> It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
> The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.
>
> I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.
>
> Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg
>
> I would have expected that they would have gone in
> all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
> prevents this.
>
> The ring on the chainwheel side, is about 1/2 way in.
> The ring on the other side, is only about 1/3 of the way in.
>
> Question: is this ok? Or, should I worry, and buy
> another unit that would have a narrower sealed unit?
> That way, the rings would go in all the way, and there
> would be more threads to hold the unit in place.
>

> I have to say, it sure is smooth! And not a sound from
> the bottom bracket. So, when I pedal slowly down
> a quiet road, I hear the wonderful silence. Very Nice!
> I should have done this years ago.

Hello all,

Thanks for your help in the topic:
Phil Wood Bottom Brackets Interchangeable?

I did get the Phil Wood bottom bracket with the
Italian threads from Ebay. My bike has French threads.

It was a very old bottom bracket, the people at the
bike store said. Perhaps from the seventies.

It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.

I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.

Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:

http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg

I would have expected that they would have gone in
all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
prevents this.

The ring on the chainwheel side, is about 1/2 way in.
The ring on the other side, is only about 1/3 of the way in.

Question: is this ok? Or, should I worry, and buy
another unit that would have a narrower sealed unit?
That way, the rings would go in all the way, and there
would be more threads to hold the unit in place.

I have to say, it sure is smooth! And not a sound from
the bottom bracket. So, when I pedal slowly down
a quiet road, I hear the wonderful silence. Very Nice!
I should have done this years ago.
If more than 5 mm of thread is exposed outside the frame on either side you don't have a good fit. There are installation instruction for Phil Wood bottom brackets on the Phil Wood web site.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Thanks for your help in the topic:
> Phil Wood Bottom Brackets Interchangeable?
>
> I did get the Phil Wood bottom bracket with the
> Italian threads from Ebay. My bike has French threads.
>
> It was a very old bottom bracket, the people at the
> bike store said. Perhaps from the seventies.
>
> It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
> The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.
>
> I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.
>
> Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg
>
> I would have expected that they would have gone in
> all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
> prevents this.
>
> The ring on the chainwheel side, is about 1/2 way in.
> The ring on the other side, is only about 1/3 of the way in.
>
> Question: is this ok? Or, should I worry, and buy
> another unit that would have a narrower sealed unit?
> That way, the rings would go in all the way, and there
> would be more threads to hold the unit in place.

'Should' have the BB threads chased but finding a french tap ,is going
to be tough to impossible. The cups 'should' be tight into the frame.
Perhaps the shell is way undersized.

> I have to say, it sure is smooth! And not a sound from
> the bottom bracket. So, when I pedal slowly down
> a quiet road, I hear the wonderful silence. Very Nice!
> I should have done this years ago.

>Hello all,
>
>Thanks for your help in the topic:
>Phil Wood Bottom Brackets Interchangeable?
>
>I did get the Phil Wood bottom bracket with the
>Italian threads from Ebay. My bike has French threads.
>
>It was a very old bottom bracket, the people at the
>bike store said. Perhaps from the seventies.
>
>It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
>The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.
>
>I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.
>
>Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
>http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg
>
>I would have expected that they would have gone in
>all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
>prevents this.

Do the cups go all the way in with the BB cartridge
not in the shell? You might do this just to clean
up the threads a bit. Make sure the threads are really
clean, a brass brush and a degreaser is good prep.

Installing these can be a bit tricky the first time
since the shoulder of the BB can stick on the
ring. I've installed them on two different bikes and
it took a quite a bit of force the first time to
get the rings seated on the shoulder of the cartridge.
There's kind of a catch-22 here, you want to push hard
enough to fully seat the ring, but not hard enough to
strip the threads as getting a French BB rethreaded will
be very difficult.

I would get a caliper and measure everything, BB shell
width, BB cartridge width and ring width. Some simple
arithmetic will give you some idea of how well the rings
are seated on the cartridge. If the rings are well seated,
I wouldn't worry much about the threads sticking out.

_ Booker C. Bense

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It turned out that my spindle was 70mm in length.
> The Phil Wood was a little shorter; 68 mm.
>
> I got the French rings/cups, and the tools to install it.
>
> Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg

I would start all over again. Take the BB out including the cups. Now
Screw the cups in as far as it will go without the BB. This will tell
you whether you have a threading problem in the BB shell. If the cups
thread all the way in then my guess is that when you install the BB you
aren't using enough force when screwing the two cups in. Another
suggestion is to email Phil. They are always eager to help.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello all,

<SNIP>
> Interestingly, the cups would not go in very far. See here:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1828.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/condor_222/dscn1830.jpg
>
> I would have expected that they would have gone in
> all the way. But the housing of the sealed unit
> prevents this.
>
> The ring on the chainwheel side, is about 1/2 way in.
> The ring on the other side, is only about 1/3 of the way in.
>
> Question: is this ok? Or, should I worry, and buy
> another unit that would have a narrower sealed unit?
> That way, the rings would go in all the way, and there
> would be more threads to hold the unit in place.

<SNIP>

On a 68mm shell, Phil Wood rings should stick out about 2mm (2 complete
threads, since French is 1mm pitch) each side. From the look of the picture,
I'd guess that the non-drive side of the cartridge is not correctly seated
in the ring, since we should be able to see a little bit of spindle between
the ring and the arm.

2 other less likely explanations: your BB shell is too narrow, due to
overzealous facing; or you have a not-that-common cartridge for a 73mm
shell.

I'd take it back apart, grease (at least) the shoulders of the cartridge,
make sure the rings fit over them, measure the width of the assembly outside
of the shell, then reassemble, and make sure that the rings are spaced as
before.. Also, get some blue loc-tite, because with French threading, your
chainline will creep out due to pedaling.

Except for their very short special order bottom brackets - 96mm, 98mm,
etc - the mounting rings on Phil BBs stick out a couple of mm each side of
the BB shell.