phil wood retaining rings with DA BB-7410?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by perbert, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. perbert

    perbert Guest

    Heya,

    Quick question here: I have a Dura-Ace BB (BB-7410 - that is a 68x103mm
    square taper) that I need to now use in a frame with an Italian-threaded BB
    shell. I am having a hard time finding a) a whole new BB (I am impatient
    and don't want to wait on Ebay to cough one up, plus this is expensive) or
    b) spare Italian-threaded cups from either a spent BB-7410 or a BB-UN91,
    etc. from a LBS.

    So I see that one can use Phil Wood hubs with older Shimano BBs (namely the
    BB-UN72, per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html). Would these also
    work with the BB-7410 (which is purportedly just a stunted-growth BB-UN91,
    which is, in turn, maybe the same size as a BB-UN72?)? If no, what other
    substitutes would someone recommend?

    Thanks,
    -bert

    The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis with an
    ugly fact.

    Tags:

  2. perbert wrote:
    > Heya,
    >
    > Quick question here: I have a Dura-Ace BB (BB-7410 - that is a 68x103mm
    > square taper) that I need to now use in a frame with an Italian-threaded BB
    > shell. I am having a hard time finding a) a whole new BB (I am impatient
    > and don't want to wait on Ebay to cough one up, plus this is expensive) or
    > b) spare Italian-threaded cups from either a spent BB-7410 or a BB-UN91,
    > etc. from a LBS.

    Nymber two. many of us have cups that we call sell ya. ANY cup, like
    those from a UN-72, will work fine.

  3. "perbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a Dura-Ace BB (BB-7410 - that is a 68x103mm
    > square taper) that I need to now use in a frame with an
    > Italian-threaded BB shell.

    > So I see that one can use Phil Wood hubs with older Shimano
    > BBs (namely the BB-UN72, per

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh26.html).

    > Would these also work with the BB-7410 (which is purportedly
    > just a stunted-growth BB-UN91, which is, in turn, maybe the
    > same size as a BB-UN72?)?

    The important dimensions are the same, so you can use the Phil cups or the
    UN72 cups.

    > If no, what other substitutes would someone recommend?

    FSA make a 103mm JIS Italian BB in steel or titanium. I also have an unused
    Italian 7410 for sale, but I'm in France, and postage would probably be
    prohibitively expensive.

    James Thomson