General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Philadelphia Marathon....not a peep?

Started by Globaldisc · · Last activity · 5 posts · 2,861 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 December 2003
Last activity
6 December 2003
Original author
Globaldisc
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,861
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon before it ran last
    week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it just strikes as odd that the 5th largest
    major metro media market in the US (behind LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon that does
    not even hit the radar of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw the winner's
    purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is "Philadelphia" & Citizen's Bank is
    the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before Salt Lake City Marathon is offering a first
    place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler I was in last week had 5,000 runners.
    Anyone got the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run it? Just an opinion
    but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more premeire Marathon...no?

  2. In article said:

    I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon before it ran last
    week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it just strikes as odd that the 5th
    largest major metro media market in the US (behind LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon
    that does not even hit the radar of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw
    the winner's purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is "Philadelphia" &
    Citizen's Bank is the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before Salt Lake City Marathon is
    offering a first place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler I was in last week
    had 5,000 runners. Anyone got the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run
    it? Just an opinion but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more premeire
    Marathon...no?

    I know someone who ran it, and more people who are thinking of running it next year. I think it's
    somewhat overshadowed by the New York marathon, but I think it actually has some advantages for a
    novice marathoner -- easier course, and it's a few weeks later, so better weather.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi pegasus.rutgers.edu~elflord

  3. My wife and I did it last year and thought it was great. The elite runners there were pretty good,
    probably doesn't attract the best due to NY marathon the few weeks before.

    The course was great, but there weren't too many spectators in the middle miles.

    My only complaint is the pro-life protesters at mile 14. I'm not making any political statements,
    but I think I don't think its the right place to be holding pictures of dead fetuses. I was a bit
    perturbed by their lack of tact.

    Otherwise the course was adequetely supplied and the course was great.

    "Globaldisc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon


    before

    Quoted message said:

    it ran last week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    strikes as odd that the 5th largest major metro media market in the US


    (behind

    Quoted message said:

    LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon that does not even hit the


    radar

    Quoted message said:

    of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw the


    winner's

    Quoted message said:

    purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is


    "Philadelphia"

    Quoted message said:

    & Citizen's Bank is the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before


    Salt

    Quoted message said:

    Lake City Marathon is offering a first place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler
    I was in last week had 5,000 runners.


    Anyone got

    Quoted message said:

    the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run it?


    Just

    Quoted message said:

    an opinion but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more


    premeire

    Quoted message said:

    Marathon...no?

  4. It's because people with any sense know that Philly is a cesspool.

  5. "Globaldisc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon


    before

    Quoted message said:

    it ran last week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    strikes as odd that the 5th largest major metro media market in the US


    (behind

    Quoted message said:

    LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon that does not even hit the


    radar

    Quoted message said:

    of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw the


    winner's

    Quoted message said:

    purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is


    "Philadelphia"

    Quoted message said:

    & Citizen's Bank is the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before


    Salt

    Quoted message said:

    Lake City Marathon is offering a first place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler
    I was in last week had 5,000 runners.


    Anyone got

    Quoted message said:

    the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run it?


    Just

    Quoted message said:

    an opinion but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more


    premeire

    Quoted message said:

    Marathon...no?

    teamutopia-usa.comresults.htm Peep!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.