Philadelphia Marathon....not a peep?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Globaldisc, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon before it ran last
    week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it just strikes as odd that the 5th largest
    major metro media market in the US (behind LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon that does
    not even hit the radar of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw the winner's
    purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is "Philadelphia" & Citizen's Bank is
    the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before Salt Lake City Marathon is offering a first
    place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler I was in last week had 5,000 runners.
    Anyone got the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run it? Just an opinion
    but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more premeire Marathon...no?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Globaldisc wrote:
    > I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon before it ran last
    > week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it just strikes as odd that the 5th
    > largest major metro media market in the US (behind LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon
    > that does not even hit the radar of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw
    > the winner's purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is "Philadelphia" &
    > Citizen's Bank is the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before Salt Lake City Marathon is
    > offering a first place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler I was in last week
    > had 5,000 runners. Anyone got the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run
    > it? Just an opinion but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more premeire
    > Marathon...no?

    I know someone who ran it, and more people who are thinking of running it next year. I think it's
    somewhat overshadowed by the New York marathon, but I think it actually has some advantages for a
    novice marathoner -- easier course, and it's a few weeks later, so better weather.

    Cheers,

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    My wife and I did it last year and thought it was great. The elite runners there were pretty good,
    probably doesn't attract the best due to NY marathon the few weeks before.

    The course was great, but there weren't too many spectators in the middle miles.

    My only complaint is the pro-life protesters at mile 14. I'm not making any political statements,
    but I think I don't think its the right place to be holding pictures of dead fetuses. I was a bit
    perturbed by their lack of tact.

    Otherwise the course was adequetely supplied and the course was great.

    "Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I don't recall seeing a single post here about the Philadelphia Marathon
    before
    > it ran last week....and since it's completion. Perhaps I'm wrong but it
    just
    > strikes as odd that the 5th largest major metro media market in the US
    (behind
    > LA, BayArea, Chi & NY) would have a Marathon that does not even hit the
    radar
    > of most folks. Did no one around here participate in it? I saw the
    winner's
    > purse is only $3,500...which is astonishing considering this is
    "Philadelphia"
    > & Citizen's Bank is the main sponsor. Jeeezzzzz....the never held before
    Salt
    > Lake City Marathon is offering a first place price of $25K. Only 5,600 runners?...heck the 4 miler
    > I was in last week had 5,000 runners.
    Anyone got
    > the scoop on what's the problem w/this Marathon?....anyone ever run it?
    Just
    > an opinion but it seems to me a city of this stature would have a more
    premeire
    > Marathon...no?

  4. It's because people with any sense know that Philly is a cesspool.

  5. Parker Race

    Parker Race Guest

    http://www.teamutopia-usa.com/results.htm Peep!