Philly to NYC route?

Mark Cochrane

Guest
I'm looking for help with a route from Philly to NYC (well, to the Hoboken ferry terminal).
Something doable in one day, so not much more than 125 miles. I was thinking of going north from
Philadelphia (I'll be starting in Center City) and crossing the Delaware at New Hope-Lambertville.
Any tips on the best way to get out of Philly, what those routes are like (232 in PA and 179 in NJ),
and maybe ways to avoid some of the dicier areas on the NY end since it may be dark by the time I
get there?

Thanks, Mark

--
My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

you asked for Philly to Hoboken, Bicycle of Philadelphia www.phillybikrclub.org has an annual club
ride that leave from New Hope PA, about 25 mile north on the Delaware, and crosses on the Hoboken
ferry and bike into Brooklyn. I have a ride from Philadelphia Art Museum to Ft Lee and crossed the
George Washington Bridge. The cue sheet is here
http://www.billcotton.com/Bill%20cotton%20cue%20sheets.htm Another cue on that page gets you to the
Financial center. However, Now the Hudson River Bike path is finished, the only part of the cue that
is need is the part that get you to the path. While on that page you will see a cue for my birthday
ride last year to Ocean City MD from Philly Art Museum. That ride was 340 mile in 40 hours. This
year I plan to ride 400 miles in 40 hours for my birthday. That cue is on this page.
http://www.billcotton.com/Bill%20cotton%20cue%20sheets.htm

--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

"Mark Cochrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for help with a route from Philly to NYC (well, to the Hoboken ferry terminal).
> Something doable in one day, so not much more than 125 miles. I was thinking of going north from
> Philadelphia (I'll be starting in Center City) and crossing the Delaware at New Hope-Lambertville.
> Any tips on the best way to get out of Philly, what those routes are like (232 in PA and 179 in
> NJ), and maybe ways to avoid some of the dicier areas on the NY end since it may be dark by the
> time I get there?
>
> Thanks, Mark
>
> --
> My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

Mark Cochrane <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'm looking for help with a route from Philly to NYC (well, to the Hoboken ferry terminal).
>Something doable in one day, so not much more than 125 miles. I was thinking of going north from
>Philadelphia (I'll be starting in Center City) and crossing the Delaware at New Hope-Lambertville.
>Any tips on the best way to get out of Philly, what those routes are like (232 in PA and 179 in
>NJ), and maybe ways to avoid some of the dicier areas on the NY end since it may be dark by the
>time I get there?

You may want to check out Dan Convissor's NJ Micro Route Builder;

http://www.panix.com/~danielc/routes/

Happy cycling!
--
Steven O'Neill [email protected] The bicycle is the true automobile.

The following is a fairly direct route from New Hope to NYC.

Take PA/NJ 179 through Lambertville. Make sure you fuel up before leaving Lambertville. NJ 179
becomes NJ 514 after it crosses US 202. Continue on NJ 514 east until end at US 206 in Manville.
Turn left onto US 206 to NJ 28 (before you hit US 22). Turn right onto NJ 28 and follow to end and
jct with NJ 27 in Elisabeth. Continue on NJ 27 North to Poiner St Newark. Right on Poiner St 2
blocks to McCarter Hwy (NJ 21). Left on McCarter Hwy to Penn Sta Newark - Right on Market St 1 block
then left to Station before Raymond Blvd.

Take Path train to during non-rush hours to NYC. The route from Newark to Hoboken is not very pretty
and PATH takes bikes during non-rush hours. Go all the way to 33rd St terminal at Herald Square.

If you insist on going into Hoboken; continue on Market St to end at Ferry St. Left on Ferry St to
intersection with Raymond Blvd, Jersey Pike, US 1, etc. Follow signs for Truck US 1 (Communipaw
Ave). Take Communipaw Ave to Kennedy Blvd. Left on Kennedy Blvd to Montgomery St. Continue all way
on Montgomery St to ferry to World Financial Center. N.B. this ferry is officially in Jersey City.
If you want ferry from Hoboken, turn left onto Henderson (Luis Munoz Marin) Blvd (from Montgomery)
to Vezetti Way/Observer. Right on Vexetti Way/Observer to Hudson. Right on Hudson to ferry to World
Financial Center in Hoboken.

Stephen Bauman

Stephen Bauman wrote:

> The following is a fairly direct route from New Hope to NYC.
>
> Take PA/NJ 179 through Lambertville. Make sure you fuel up before leaving Lambertville. NJ 179
> becomes NJ 514 after it crosses US 202. Continue on NJ 514 east until end at US 206 in Manville.
> Turn left onto US 206 to NJ 28 (before you hit US 22). Turn right onto NJ 28 and follow to end and
> jct with NJ 27 in Elisabeth. Continue on NJ 27 North to Poiner St Newark. Right on Poiner St 2
> blocks to McCarter Hwy (NJ 21). Left on McCarter Hwy to Penn Sta Newark - Right on Market St 1
> block then left to Station before Raymond Blvd.

Just be aware that routes 28 and 27 do take you through some pretty dicey neighborhoods in
Plainfield, Elizabeth and Newark.

Janet

There is a route available on my web site at:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miketordoff/ Click on "By bike" and then the "Philly-New Hope" and
"New Hope - Manhattan" cues.

The Comcast server is a bit temperamental so if the page doesn't work the first time you try it,
hit the refresh button a couple of times. If this doesn't work, e-mail me and I'll send you the
cue sheets.

Mike Tordoff [email protected]

> [...]

cue sheets.

Mike Tordoff [email protected]

"Mark Cochrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for help with a route from Philly to NYC (well, to the Hoboken ferry terminal).
> Something doable in one day, so not much more than 125 miles. I was thinking of going north from
> Philadelphia (I'll be starting in Center City) and crossing the Delaware at New Hope-Lambertville.
> Any tips on the best way to get out of Philly, what those routes are like (232 in PA and 179 in
> NJ), and maybe ways to avoid some of the dicier areas on the NY end since it may be dark by the
> time I get there?
>
> Thanks, Mark
>
> --
> My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

I bike from lower manhattan to central park several times a week using the hudson river bike
path. there is an uphill path that leads to a highway underpass at 72nd street. there is a dog
run there so you have to watch out for all the puppies... they you can go across to central park
on 72nd street.

victor

"Mark Cochrane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for help with a route from Philly to NYC (well, to the Hoboken ferry terminal).
> Something doable in one day, so not much more than 125 miles. I was thinking of going north from
> Philadelphia (I'll be starting in Center City) and crossing the Delaware at New Hope-Lambertville.
> Any tips on the best way to get out of Philly, what those routes are like (232 in PA and 179 in
> NJ), and maybe ways to avoid some of the dicier areas on the NY end since it may be dark by the
> time I get there?
>
> Thanks, Mark
>
> --
> My email address is cochranemk *at* yahoo *dot* com

There are cue sheets for this route (Philly -> New Hope -> NY) on my "Cycle Philadelphia" web site
at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miketordoff/. Click on "Getting in and out of Philly...By bike" and
look under New Hope and New York. The route is adapted from the annual Bicycle Club of Philadelphia
(BCP) ride.

It is easy to overwhelm the Comcast server with my web site on it. If the link doesn't work try
again a little later.

Happy riding

Mike Tordoff

news:QRQ%[email protected]...