Phoenix, Arizona and Thorns-Question About Tire To Choose

Speed

Guest
I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There are
lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda 26-2.10
tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone please recommend
a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a stretch of my daily
commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires and putting thick tubes
in them and maybe adding slime.

Thanks

"Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
> riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There
> are lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda
> 26-2.10 tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone please
> recommend a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a stretch of
> my daily commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires and putting
> thick tubes in them and maybe adding slime.
>
> Thanks

Try Mr. Tuffy tire liners - light, easy, cheap and bullit proof.....

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/view.phtml?f_b=Mr+Tuffy

Ken

"Ken Bessler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

[snip]

> Try Mr. Tuffy tire liners - light, easy, cheap and bullit proof.....

So they're guaranteed to withstand raincoat-wearing, Mustang-GT-driving laconic LA cops of
the 1960's?

Sounds like a great deal!

Tim.

PS. You missed the last "t" off "Bullitt"

---

I've had a similar problem here in the UK with hawthorn and brambles and was getting flats far too
regularly. I rate Vredestein tyres, I'm currently using 1.75 Scarabs but they do a wide range of
tyres. Their PRS Punture Reduction System has certainly worked for me (to date no flats in nearly
2000 miles since swapping over) but I couldn't say whether it is any better or worse than any other
the other manufacturers' anti-puncture systems.

Vredestien is a Dutch company and it's website is also in Dutch
(http://www.vredestein.com/fietsbanden/ if you're interested) and I don't know whether they'd be
available in the USA. Vredestien USA is at http://www.vredesteinusa.com/index.html but the site only
shows road tyres (but does have an interesting section on PRS and other technologies) but they might
be able to locate a supplier.

Whilst you're thinking of changing your tyres, and since your ride mainly on road, you might think
about a somewhat narrower tyre that could be run at a slightly higher pressure, this may also help
reduce punctures.

Good Luck! Paul

Speed <[email protected]> wrote:

>I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
>riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There are
>lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda 26-2.10
>tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone please
>recommend a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a stretch of
>my daily commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires and putting
>thick tubes in them and maybe adding slime.

I have a pair of 26x1.5" Armadillos I bought a while ago, and I'm not that crazy about them, but
they do avoid flats. You might check out the Continental Gatorskins instead... they feel like "real
tires", and I went from several flats a week in the Phoenix area to one ever 2-3 months (usually
from a perfectly placed thorn). My experience with slime has been less than positive as well - I'd
suggest just getting tough tires and "normal tubes".

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:46:38 -0600, "Ken Bessler" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Speed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>> I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
>> riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There
>> are lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda
>> 26-2.10 tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone
>> please recommend a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a
>> stretch of my daily commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires
>> and putting thick tubes in them and maybe adding slime.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Try Mr. Tuffy tire liners - light, easy, cheap and bullit proof.....
>
>http://www.bikepartsusa.com/view.phtml?f_b=Mr+Tuffy
>
>Ken

Thanks to all who provided my with information.

I believe I am going to get the Specialized Hemisphers and either their thorn resistant MTB Tube and
fill it with Slime or their Airlock MTB tube. Won't need slime with that. If that does not give me
the level of freedom from flats that I seek, I may add Mr. Tuffy.

I will next want to see how much this solution slows me down.

Thanks again

Originally posted by Speed
I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There are
lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda 26-2.10
tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone please recommend
a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a stretch of my daily
commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires and putting thick tubes
in them and maybe adding slime.

Thanks
:cool:
Good call on the thorn resistent tubes. Slimb sucks. Trust me I have tried it all. The tubes aren't that much heavier and its a good work out!

Speed wrote:

> I just got a Diamonback Wildwood and ride mostly on pavement, but there are some places I go that
> riding on the pavement, my life expectancy would be in question, so I go to the sidewalk. There
> are lots of overhanging trees and bushes and the thorns are all over the place. . The Kenda
> 26-2.10 tires that came on it are just about guarenteed a flat within blocks. Would someone please
> recommend a solution to overcome this. I have no choice about the sidewalk riding on a stretch of
> my daily commute. I am thinking of getting the Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tires and putting
> thick tubes in them and maybe adding slime.

Though I don't like the 700c Armadillos, I have had good luck avoiding flats with a 26" x 1.75"
semi-slick version. They ride like bricks, but they are hard to flat.

If you want something almost as bulletproof but lighter and more compliant, try the Conti
Gatorskins.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> If you want something almost as bulletproof but lighter and more compliant, try the Conti
> Gatorskins.

or cut the bead off an old pair of tires and put them inside your tires...guaranteed not to flat.