Photo in Bicycling Magazine

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Marlene Blanshay, Apr 17, 2004.

  1. I finally checked out that photo that Claire Petersky mentioned. It was just
    as outrageous as Claire's description.

    However, it seemed to me that it was obviously a total joke. Of course it
    looked ridiculous in that magazine- it's obviously supposed to. I doubt they
    expect any woman cyclist to dress like that. It was a jab at the whole idea
    of "Style". The word itself automatically conjurs up images of fashion
    magazines, bored-looking anorexic models wearing just that type of idiotic
    getup, and ads for Dolce and Gabanna or whatever.

    That being said, I think the fact that they did fall back on that kind of
    dumb image is in itself sort of pathetic, like they couldn't think of a
    better joke? Very infantile, really. It's like "The Man Show." Does any man
    really think that's funny?
     
    Tags:


  2. frkrygow

    frkrygow Guest

    Marlene Blanshay wrote:

    > I finally checked out that photo that Claire Petersky mentioned. It was just
    > as outrageous as Claire's description.
    >
    > However, it seemed to me that it was obviously a total joke. Of course it
    > looked ridiculous in that magazine- it's obviously supposed to.


    Sorry, Marlene. As a certified guy (although a non-typical one), my bet
    is they put it in there to sell magazines to the hormone-addled teens
    and 20-somethings.

    Check out the photo on page 25. The bikini bottoms aren't a joke,
    they're more testosterone bait.

    And check out the article on Copper Canyon. See page 66. "make
    training seriously f-ink harsh - and seriously f-ink fun" ... "the
    ultramarathoners got their CoolMax asses kicked"... "The little prick
    turned out to be Al..."

    Bicycling is hoping that loud, crude, and fairly stupid guys are where
    the money is. They're hoping their advertisers believe that, and
    they're out to lure more of those "dudes" to buy that bitchin' magazine.

    What seems odd, to me, is that the board members of the League of
    American Bicyclists thinks this magazine is a great perk for its
    members. It seems odd even if most of them are now bike industry
    shills. Seems like a major piece of cognitive dissonance to me!

    > I doubt they expect any woman cyclist to dress like that.


    The boys they're hoping to sell to have intense daydreams about women
    who dress like that. And they don't involve bicycles at all.

    --
    -------------+
    Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]
     
  3. On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:54:46 -0400, "frkrygow"
    <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:

    >The boys they're hoping to sell to have intense daydreams about women
    >who dress like that. And they don't involve bicycles at all.


    But, in a very "broad" sense, they involve handlebars...
     
  4. On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:54:46 -0400, "frkrygow"
    <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote:

    >Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    >
    >> I finally checked out that photo that Claire Petersky mentioned. It was just
    >> as outrageous as Claire's description.
    >>
    >> However, it seemed to me that it was obviously a total joke. Of course it
    >> looked ridiculous in that magazine- it's obviously supposed to.

    >
    >Sorry, Marlene. As a certified guy (although a non-typical one), my bet
    >is they put it in there to sell magazines to the hormone-addled teens
    >and 20-somethings.
    >
    >Check out the photo on page 25. The bikini bottoms aren't a joke,
    >they're more testosterone bait.
    >
    >And check out the article on Copper Canyon. See page 66. "make
    >training seriously f-ink harsh - and seriously f-ink fun" ... "the
    >ultramarathoners got their CoolMax asses kicked"... "The little prick
    >turned out to be Al..."
    >
    >Bicycling is hoping that loud, crude, and fairly stupid guys are where
    >the money is. They're hoping their advertisers believe that, and
    >they're out to lure more of those "dudes" to buy that bitchin' magazine.


    ....because mountain biking is the sport of the young, the male, and
    the 'extreme'--who are 'extreme' because the rest of their existence
    is comfortably taken care of (they have the time and money to devote
    to cycling as a hobby.)

    -Luigi
    is not averse to some cheesecake on occasion, either.
     
  5. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    >"Marlene Blanshay" [email protected]

    wrote in part:

    >It's like "The Man Show." Does any man
    >really think that's funny?



    Occasionally, yes. Most of it is just plain dumb but every once in awhile a
    truly funny bit pops up or at least that used to occur. I'm not a regular
    viewer so that may have changed.

    Regards,
    Bob Hunt
     
  6. "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    >
    > > I finally checked out that photo that Claire Petersky mentioned. It was

    just
    > > as outrageous as Claire's description.
    > >
    > > However, it seemed to me that it was obviously a total joke. Of course

    it
    > > looked ridiculous in that magazine- it's obviously supposed to.

    >
    > Sorry, Marlene. As a certified guy (although a non-typical one), my bet
    > is they put it in there to sell magazines to the hormone-addled teens
    > and 20-somethings.
    >
    > Check out the photo on page 25. The bikini bottoms aren't a joke,
    > they're more testosterone bait.
    >
    > And check out the article on Copper Canyon. See page 66. "make
    > training seriously f-ink harsh - and seriously f-ink fun" ... "the
    > ultramarathoners got their CoolMax asses kicked"... "The little prick
    > turned out to be Al..."
    >
    > Bicycling is hoping that loud, crude, and fairly stupid guys are where
    > the money is. They're hoping their advertisers believe that, and
    > they're out to lure more of those "dudes" to buy that bitchin' magazine.
    >
    > What seems odd, to me, is that the board members of the League of
    > American Bicyclists thinks this magazine is a great perk for its
    > members. It seems odd even if most of them are now bike industry
    > shills. Seems like a major piece of cognitive dissonance to me!
    >


    I didn't look at all the other stuff, just the two photos of the cheesy
    woman. Admittedly, they have to be reaching for readers with that stuff.
     
  7. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    >
    >> is not averse to some cheesecake on occasion, either.

    >
    > Yum, *cheesecake*.


    I'll see that cheesecake and raise you a Mango Cheesecake.

    Mmmmmmm, it's champagne mango season.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
    -- Vroomfondel
     
  8. Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'll see that cheesecake and raise you a Mango Cheesecake.


    i'll see that and raise you a durian popsicle.

    (just not in the apartment, if it must be indoors then a mango mochi)
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]
     
  9. On 19 Apr 2004 17:37:36 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'll see that cheesecake and raise you a Mango Cheesecake.

    >
    >i'll see that and raise you a durian popsicle.
    >
    >(just not in the apartment, if it must be indoors then a mango mochi)


    I'll see that and raise you a tall, cold halo-halo. With a scoop of
    ube ice cream on top and a sprinkling of pinipig.

    -Luigi
    sarap!
     
  10. kak61

    kak61 Guest

    Can someone please email me that photo? What about URLs? Thank you.

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > "frkrygow" <"frkrygow"@omitcc.ysu.edu> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Marlene Blanshay wrote:
    > >
    > > > I finally checked out that photo that Claire Petersky mentioned. It

    was
    > just
    > > > as outrageous as Claire's description.
    > > >
    > > > However, it seemed to me that it was obviously a total joke. Of course

    > it
    > > > looked ridiculous in that magazine- it's obviously supposed to.

    > >
    > > Sorry, Marlene. As a certified guy (although a non-typical one), my bet
    > > is they put it in there to sell magazines to the hormone-addled teens
    > > and 20-somethings.
    > >
    > > Check out the photo on page 25. The bikini bottoms aren't a joke,
    > > they're more testosterone bait.
    > >
    > > And check out the article on Copper Canyon. See page 66. "make
    > > training seriously f-ink harsh - and seriously f-ink fun" ... "the
    > > ultramarathoners got their CoolMax asses kicked"... "The little prick
    > > turned out to be Al..."
    > >
    > > Bicycling is hoping that loud, crude, and fairly stupid guys are where
    > > the money is. They're hoping their advertisers believe that, and
    > > they're out to lure more of those "dudes" to buy that bitchin' magazine.
    > >
    > > What seems odd, to me, is that the board members of the League of
    > > American Bicyclists thinks this magazine is a great perk for its
    > > members. It seems odd even if most of them are now bike industry
    > > shills. Seems like a major piece of cognitive dissonance to me!
    > >

    >
    > I didn't look at all the other stuff, just the two photos of the cheesy
    > woman. Admittedly, they have to be reaching for readers with that stuff.
    >
    >
     
  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:46:47 -0400, "Marlene Blanshay"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >That being said, I think the fact that they did fall back on that kind of
    >dumb image is in itself sort of pathetic, like they couldn't think of a
    >better joke? Very infantile, really.


    Like I said in the other thread, I have a vague memory of realizing
    that Bicycling's Style pages were [intentionally] exactly the same
    joke as Fabrizio Mazzoleni is here.

    >It's like "The Man Show." Does any man really think that's funny?


    I do. My girlfriend does, too. While you may just not identify with
    enough of it (or identify anybody you know with it) to find it
    amusing, your comment smacks of culture snobbery. Your messages
    usually don't offer that sort of feeling, so I'd guess it's option A
    above.

    Actually, it's not half as funny now as it was with the original
    hosts. The new guys lack personality. Also, the original hosts (Adam
    and Jimmy) actually were able to pull off that show with some class,
    while the new guys have done away with class, it seems...although I
    can't pinpoint why I think that. They seem to darken the whole show.
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  12. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> I'll see that cheesecake and raise you a Mango Cheesecake.

    >
    > i'll see that and raise you a durian popsicle.
    >
    > (just not in the apartment, if it must be indoors then a mango mochi)


    I'd never had the experience of wanting to hold my nose while trying to
    eat something before I had Durian. But I must say, the fruit looks
    bad-ass. "Heavy metal pineapples" as my one friend used to call them.
    The time I brought one home, I used a wood chisel to open it, there has
    to be a better method though.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping,
    it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.
     
  13. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 19 Apr 2004 17:37:36 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>i'll see that and raise you a durian popsicle.
    >>
    >>(just not in the apartment, if it must be indoors then a mango mochi)

    >
    > I'll see that and raise you a tall, cold halo-halo. With a scoop of
    > ube ice cream on top and a sprinkling of pinipig.


    Hmmm, a nice halo-halo does sound good. There's a place not too far
    from my house that has it on their menu. And now I have a hankering
    to pick up some Ube ice cream from Uwajimaya...

    Looks like I'll have to put in some extra miles this week.

    ;)

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "bash awk grep perl sed df du, du-du du-du,
    vi troff su fsck rm * halt LART LART LART!" -- the Swedish BOFH
     
  14. On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:48:23 -0700, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On 19 Apr 2004 17:37:36 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>i'll see that and raise you a durian popsicle.
    >>>
    >>>(just not in the apartment, if it must be indoors then a mango mochi)

    >>
    >> I'll see that and raise you a tall, cold halo-halo. With a scoop of
    >> ube ice cream on top and a sprinkling of pinipig.

    >
    >Hmmm, a nice halo-halo does sound good. There's a place not too far
    >from my house that has it on their menu. And now I have a hankering
    >to pick up some Ube ice cream from Uwajimaya...


    Are you in North America--and if so, where do you live where you can
    get halo-halo handily?

    The ube icecream I can find around here just isn't the same as the
    kind we get in the Philippines. Tastes different. O, for a gallon of
    Selecta Ube Icecream. or, even better, some of that Arce Dairy
    icecream (which, as I recall, is made from carabao milk. waaay
    better.)

    I'm not even over the jetlag yet and my appetite wants to go back home
    already!

    -Luigi

    "Sa libu-libung pagkakataon na tayo'y nag-kasama,
    Iilang ulit ko lang kitang makitang masaya!
    Naiinis akong isipin na ginaganyan ka niya--
    Siguro ay hindi niya alam ang iyong
    Tunay na halaga..."
    -Parokya ni Edgar, "Halaga"
     
  15. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>Hmmm, a nice halo-halo does sound good. There's a place not too far
    >>from my house that has it on their menu. And now I have a hankering
    >>to pick up some Ube ice cream from Uwajimaya...

    >
    > Are you in North America--and if so, where do you live where you can
    > get halo-halo handily?


    Seattle. I live approximately one mile from the International district
    here. I remember one of the bubble-tea places had halo-halo mentioned
    on their board. Of course, now I can't remember which one. And I know
    I've had some halo-halo at one of the summer street fairs.

    > The ube icecream I can find around here just isn't the same as the
    > kind we get in the Philippines. Tastes different. O, for a gallon of
    > Selecta Ube Icecream. or, even better, some of that Arce Dairy
    > icecream (which, as I recall, is made from carabao milk. waaay
    > better.)


    I haven't tried it before, but I've seen it at Uwajimaya (next to the
    durian ice-cream). But I'm always up for an excuse to try a new frozen
    confection.

    > I'm not even over the jetlag yet and my appetite wants to go back home
    > already!


    I'm personally emotionally starved for a good sub from Cappriotti's. Oh
    well, maybe my brother can bring some when he visits.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    If A = B and B = C, then A = C, except where void or prohibited by law.
    -- Roy Santoro
     
  16. Dane Jackson

    Dane Jackson Guest

    Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The ube icecream I can find around here just isn't the same as the
    >> kind we get in the Philippines. Tastes different. O, for a gallon of
    >> Selecta Ube Icecream. or, even better, some of that Arce Dairy
    >> icecream (which, as I recall, is made from carabao milk. waaay
    >> better.)

    >
    > I haven't tried it before, but I've seen it at Uwajimaya (next to the
    > durian ice-cream). But I'm always up for an excuse to try a new frozen
    > confection.


    Well, I went out for a spin wednesday night on the errand bike. I hit
    Uwayijamaya to pick up some fresh fruit and what-not (mmmm Mangos). I
    was lured into the frozen confection aisle by your description of Ube
    ice cream. And Lo! There were tins of Selecta Ube ice cream. I was
    momentarily tempted by the Halo-Halo flavor[1], but decided I wanted to
    try the ube.

    I spun up the hill to home, detouring for a quick stop at the video
    game store to pick up a few used videogames (one of the joys of owning
    *obsolete* consoles is the games are cheap). Opening the tin, it was
    as the packaging pictured, very very purple. It had almost a purplish
    play-doh-y sheen to it. But undeterred by the sight, I dug out some
    for myself. Mmmmmmm, very tasty, and not what I expected. Very
    different, very nutty tasting.

    Shortly after, my wife and small child elected to sample it as well. All
    around it was agreed that it was excellent. And very purple. Very
    purple on Aixi's hands, very purple on Aixi's face, very purple on her
    shirt. :)

    [1] Not sure it that was Selecta or another brand. Wasn't paying *that*
    much attention.

    --
    Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
    "Then you admit confirming not denying you ever said that?"
    "NO! ... I mean Yes! WHAT?"
    "I'll put `maybe.'"
    -- Bloom County
     
  17. On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:37:20 -0700, Dane Jackson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Dane Jackson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The ube icecream I can find around here just isn't the same as the
    >>> kind we get in the Philippines. Tastes different. O, for a gallon of
    >>> Selecta Ube Icecream. or, even better, some of that Arce Dairy
    >>> icecream (which, as I recall, is made from carabao milk. waaay
    >>> better.)

    >>
    >> I haven't tried it before, but I've seen it at Uwajimaya (next to the
    >> durian ice-cream). But I'm always up for an excuse to try a new frozen
    >> confection.

    >
    >Well, I went out for a spin wednesday night on the errand bike. I hit
    >Uwayijamaya to pick up some fresh fruit and what-not (mmmm Mangos). I
    >was lured into the frozen confection aisle by your description of Ube
    >ice cream. And Lo! There were tins of Selecta Ube ice cream. I was
    >momentarily tempted by the Halo-Halo flavor[1], but decided I wanted to
    >try the ube.


    Halo-halo flavour ice-cream is all right, but it always lost out in my
    opinion to the real thing. Proper halo-halo has lots of sweet stuff
    floating about in it waiting to be mixed up: langka, matamis na
    mongo, iba'at-ibang klaseng agar-agar, macapuno, ube,
    gulaman...sometimes a slice of leche flan, and that sort of neat
    stuff.

    Back in the RP, they package Ube and Halo-halo sometimes together in
    the same tin--think neapolitan, but with two stripes only. mmmm.

    Bicycle content: how do you transport your ice-cream on a bicycle?
    I'm always terrified that it'll melt on the way home if I live too far
    from the ice-cream seller. Do you have like a cooler bungied to your
    rack or what?

    -Luigi
    Mang Sorbetero

    >
    >I spun up the hill to home, detouring for a quick stop at the video
    >game store to pick up a few used videogames (one of the joys of owning
    >*obsolete* consoles is the games are cheap). Opening the tin, it was
    >as the packaging pictured, very very purple. It had almost a purplish
    >play-doh-y sheen to it. But undeterred by the sight, I dug out some
    >for myself. Mmmmmmm, very tasty, and not what I expected. Very
    >different, very nutty tasting.
    >
    >Shortly after, my wife and small child elected to sample it as well. All
    >around it was agreed that it was excellent. And very purple. Very
    >purple on Aixi's hands, very purple on Aixi's face, very purple on her
    >shirt. :)
    >
    >[1] Not sure it that was Selecta or another brand. Wasn't paying *that*
    >much attention.
     
  18. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

    > Bicycle content: how do you transport your ice-cream on a bicycle?


    In the fuel tank :)

    I have yet to design & build my milk crate-fitting
    thermal pizza hod.

    Zoot suggested coroplast as a construction material;
    I'll get some one of these days. Maybe insulate it
    w/ styrofoam.


    good ride,
    Tom

    --
    -- Powered by FreeBSD
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca
     
  19. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bicycle content: how do you transport your ice-cream on a bicycle?


    quickly. i hone my racing form.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]
     
Loading...
Loading...