Photo of Lance Training session today

steve26 said:
Man he looks to be in fantastic condition.

http://twitpic.com/s576
Yup! He sure does!

My son, who is a competetive cyclist, and actually did his first Conconi test a few years ago with a coach who worked with Armstrong during his buildup to the Worlds emailed me with his thought:

Lance, the only person ever who got out of the saddle during a progressive performance test. Virtually impossible since with increasing wattage and massive buildup of lactate that EVERYONE is glued to the saddle.

Just another way this guy is different from everyone else.

bobke said:
Yup! He sure does!

My son, who is a competetive cyclist, and actually did his first Conconi test a few years ago with a coach who worked with Armstrong during his buildup to the Worlds emailed me with his thought:

Lance, the only person ever who got out of the saddle during a progressive performance test. Virtually impossible since with increasing wattage and massive buildup of lactate that EVERYONE is glued to the saddle.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaa

...wait....

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

You people are brain dead.

bobke said:

The only person out of how many? test sample of 1 perhaps.

Getting out of the saddle means your pretty much at the end of your rope in those tests as the lactate builds up and your strength is all but dead, you stand up just helps you get up and over your pedal stroke.

Lance isn't special, I've stood up to keep going in one of those tests.
(for information I peaked at a lactate level of 15.7 at 310watss in the step test, HR of 178 resulting in 4.13W/kg)

Geoff put it best though. :D

Meet the clueless Bobke/Hombre

Most embarrassing but yet entertaining muppet to hit the net since Will Geoghegan.

Hombre, how do you find the time to post? with an already busy schedule of fellating Lance and swallowing his PR campaign its gotta be tough going.

Could you twitter for us? let us know

I think my kid has done and witnessed every other junior and U23 on an elite team do their ramp tests. No one gets out of the saddle. I'll ask the guys at his performance lab what they think though.

By the way, peaking at 310 watts is not so great is it?
Thats what a lot of Cat4s and most Cat3s can do. You got a very high lactate level so you probably suffered like a dog. Did you get out of the saddle at the end and was the lactate drawn right after that?

Can I do that kind of test with EPO?
If yes what about the validity of such results?

oely said:
Meet the clueless Bobke/Hombre

Most embarrassing but yet entertaining muppet to hit the net since Will Geoghegan.

Hombre, how do you find the time to post? with an already busy schedule of fellating Lance and swallowing his PR campaign its gotta be tough going.

Could you twitter for us? let us know
reeee

bobke said:
By the way, peaking at 310 watts is not so great is it?
Thats what a lot of Cat4s and most Cat3s can do. You got a very high lactate level so you probably suffered like a dog. Did you get out of the saddle at the end and was the lactate drawn right after that?
Nope not so great and yes I would probably be a cat 4 equivalent I guess.
I don't know how the US 'cat' system relates to racing in Aust.
I'm listed as C grade at club level, but I'll race B grade at crits and do well enough, usually top 10 finish. Hilly road races I stick with my C grading, hills are not my friend :p

That was a basically a pre season test to get the ball rolling, except I didn't go back for another one after a couple months training. (I should have) So I don't know what improvement I made, would hope a little higher though :p

I got out of the saddle during my last step in the test, blood lactate samples are taken every after every 3min step. So that lactate value was right at the completion of the 310w step. (each step is 3mins long and an increase of 30w)

Trev_S said:
The only person out of how many? test sample of 1 perhaps.

Getting out of the saddle means your pretty much at the end of your rope in those tests as the lactate builds up and your strength is all but dead, you stand up just helps you get up and over your pedal stroke.

Lance isn't special, I've stood up to keep going in one of those tests.
(for information I peaked at a lactate level of 15.7 at 310watss in the step test, HR of 178 resulting in 4.13W/kg)

Geoff put it best though. :D
Trev you are my hero!

Trev_S said:
Nope not so great and yes I would probably be a cat 4 equivalent I guess.
I don't know how the US 'cat' system relates to racing in Aust.
I'm listed as C grade at club level, but I'll race B grade at crits and do well enough, usually top 10 finish. Hilly road races I stick with my C grading, hills are not my friend :p

That was a basically a pre season test to get the ball rolling, except I didn't go back for another one after a couple months training. (I should have) So I don't know what improvement I made, would hope a little higher though :p

I got out of the saddle during my last step in the test, blood lactate samples are taken every after every 3min step. So that lactate value was right at the completion of the 310w step. (each step is 3mins long and an increase of 30w)
Trev I new you would be at least a cat 4 you are on par with Lance no doubt. I would put my money on you in any of the professional races.

poulidor said:
Can I do that kind of test with EPO?
If yes what about the validity of such results?
Poulidor, another cycling legend. I would put you up against Lance any day. You both could be side by side on a test and you both could have a dose of EPO, or whatever you want and I have no doubt you would hang with him just like a dingle berry swinging from side to side as you pound out those watts. Wow!!!

You miss the point which is how is the lactate test affected by an individual doing it doped?

Or what would be my results if I do 2 tests one clean and one full doped?

leerobbs said:
Trev I new you would be at least a cat 4 you are on par with Lance no doubt. I would put my money on you in any of the professional races.
umm...... Duuuhhhh!!!!!!
You completely miss the point. :rolleyes:

To say Lance is the only one who ever got out of the saddle is completely laughable. My point was it doesn't matter what level of rider you are, when your at the tail end of your step test it doesn't take much to get out of the saddle for that little bit extra.
It takes neither extensive skill nor impressive amounts of power to do it.

Geoff Vadar said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaa

...wait....

You people are brain dead.
rreee

Le Bendage!

1227124.jpg

Trev_S said:
umm...... Duuuhhhh!!!!!!
You completely miss the point. :rolleyes:

To say Lance is the only one who ever got out of the saddle is completely laughable. My point was it doesn't matter what level of rider you are, when your at the tail end of your step test it doesn't take much to get out of the saddle for that little bit extra.
It takes neither extensive skill nor impressive amounts of power to do it.
I dont think you have ever done a ramp test or seen many elite riders do them.

My son, who was identified through the LA Junior cycling series has done and seen numerous junior, U23, and elite riders do ramp tests and he attests he has never sen anyone get out of the saddle at any point during said test. At the end of these tests most of the juniors and U23 riders fell off the machines, threw up, or could barely turn the pedals over. The se were all elite athletes, highly trained, and VERY eager to outperform each other.

Anyone with a little moxie left would have gotten out of the saddle and tried to show it.
But that IS the whole point isnt it?
If you are at VO2MAX, emphasize max, you CANNOT raise it up a level and sprint unless you are a very unusual athlete.

He was tested by the highest level USCF folks at each stage under optimal conditions, by several different testing places.

That's all I am reporting.
So, how many tests have you done, performed or witnessed.

In a former part of my career I administered a number of Max ETT on a treadmill. I nver saw anyone try top sprint the last 20-30 seconds.
Just sayin

This is the format of step test I did.
It was done on a Cardgirus trainer in Sept 07.
The first step (or ramp) starts at 100w which you maintain for 3mins.
At the completion of the 3mins a blood lactate sample is taken (whilst you remain riding).
The next step goes up to 130w and likewise is for 3mins where another blood lactate sample is taken.
Each step is for 3mins duration and increases 30watts, blood lactate is taken for every step (ramp).

As instructed prior to the test, you could not let your cadence drop below 60 otherwise the computer would automatically end it, and was also told that when you get to the end and your really starting to struggle if standing up keeps you going that little bit longer then do so.

So for me to keep it going at the end of the test I did stand which helped complete my final step. It's not a final sprint as you seem to imply or think, it's simply trying to hang on that bit longer.
And yes I finished at an exhausted state where you verge on throwing up (although I didn't) and slump over completely knackered.

Below is a link to where I had my testing done. As I mentioned in previous post I only had one done, I didn't go back for any follow ups and yes I saw a couple of my club mates do the test also. So a limited experience, but that doesn't change what my experience was.
http://zoominzones.com.au/

These are my results or I'll post up the full result sheet if you like and as you can see finishing at 310watts is nothing special

Power (Watts) : Lact mmol/L : HR bpm
100 : 1.7 : 109
130 : 1.9 : 116
160 : 1.9 : 123
190 : 2.1 : 132
220 : 2.5 : 144
250 : 3.7 : 157
280 : 5.7 : 167
310 : 15.4 : 178

Watts/kg = 4.13

bobke said:
If you are at VO2MAX, emphasize max, you CANNOT raise it up a level and sprint
...so when lance got out of the saddle he obviously wasn't at max duh:rolleyes:

Jono L said:
...so when lance got out of the saddle he obviously wasn't at max duh:rolleyes:
I am asking it again : what about the validity of a such test if the rider is using blood doping or EPO?