Photos and movies: Cycling Hawaii, Days 1-3 on the "Big Island"

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides' started by steephill, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. steephill

    steephill Guest

    Tags:

  2. > Just prior to Christmas, I spent one week on the Big Island with my
    > in-laws during a mostly family trip. I managed to cycle every day! ;)
    >
    > Here are two reports from the first three days.
    >
    > Introduction to the Big Island and brief reports on Days 1 and 2:
    > http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/hawaii/
    >
    > Day 3, Cycling Old Mamalahoa Hwy to the Waipio Valley:
    > http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/waipio-valley/
    >
    > Hauoli Makahiki Hou! (Happy New Year)
    > www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

    Great stuff; makes me want to go back! Actually, the only island I've ridden
    on has been Maui; I'd love to ride on Kona (the "Big Island") and Kauai.

    One question- that 25% grade into Waipio Valley... what is is about it that
    makes it impossible to ride down? Or up, for that matter? At .75 miles, if
    it averages 25%, I can definitely see that as incredibly challenging, and
    perhaps not even possible. Sonora Pass, at its steepest, averages "only" 20%
    for roughly a kilometer. Of course, that's at a much higher elevation, but
    the climate is probably more hospitable (lower temp and humidity).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. steephill

    steephill Guest

    re: "One question- that 25% grade into Waipio Valley... what is is
    about it that
    makes it impossible to ride down? Or up, for that matter?"

    We started cycling down it but changed our minds after a couple hundred
    yards. Getting back up was more of issue than cycling down but my wife
    wasn't comfortable with the descent. Even if I was on my own I'm not
    sure I could have climbed the hill in my 39-27. The road is a rough
    narrow, twisty one lane road so there was no paper boy weave option.

    It was a nice day for a hike ;)

    cheers,
    Steve
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

  4. steephill

    steephill Guest

    I heard from someone who has driven the road:

    "Waipio Valley, I have driven down the road to the bottom, the one
    where you see the 25% grade sign.

    I have to tell you, no picture could do that drop justice. It was so
    steep coming back up, eveyone in the Jeep was leaning forward, because
    we were all afraid if we leaned back in our seats, the car would flip
    over, hahahahahahaa! I mean, it was NASTY!!"

    Steve
    www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

  5. > "Waipio Valley, I have driven down the road to the bottom, the one
    > where you see the 25% grade sign.
    >
    > I have to tell you, no picture could do that drop justice. It was so
    > steep coming back up, eveyone in the Jeep was leaning forward, because
    > we were all afraid if we leaned back in our seats, the car would flip
    > over, hahahahahahaa! I mean, it was NASTY!!"

    A few years ago I took my motorcycle to the SF Gran Prix, and cruised around
    the course a bit. Don't remember what the street was, but I found myself
    going up something so steep I really thought I was going to do a wheelie and
    fall backward. Or, perhaps worse, end up having to stop before the top (due
    to traffic) where it was still steep.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com