photos; My NEW COLNAGO C40 BStay Bike. Record, Bora and more stuff

Nice!! I'll take mine with a set of Zeros and a watch delete. That thing is occupying one of my favorite hand posiitions.

Nice bike man!

Nice ride...I love the stem bars combo. I think it would be a little nicer with a little more carbon fiber though,,,like maybe the skewers......hahahaha just kidden.
;)

Love it.

marlon1 said:
snip...
-I bought the Bora's because they look :eek: :eek: . My camera isn't very good, but if you look good, you can see the beautiful carbon fiber weave of the rims. And the hubs! The wheels are light (1380 with quick releases), aero (50mm rim) and tubular. Of course there are lighter wheels (Zipp 404/303, Lightweight) but are they stiff and relyable??

Amazing looking bike. However, Lightweight wheels would have been absolutely awsome on the bike (not that Bora's aren't). They'd definitely be stiffer, however they probably would be a race only wheelset. Amazing looking bike again though.

Sweeeeeeet!

Damn! Now my nice new bike looks like a piece of ****.
Oh well, a new bike is still better than no bike!

Karlo said:
Truly amazing. And Italian.

Karlo
It's nice to look at, and a truly impressive collection of high-end components. I'm sure it's a great bike to ride too. But personally, it's not my style.

When I see the big names plastered all over, and the patented "B-40" on the backstay, it looks a bit like a rolling billboard for Colnago and Campy. Suppose everyone has different feelings about status symbols, but this bike just shouts "look at me and the money I spent on my prestige bike and wheels".

Of course, if we take off the brand advertising, put a subtle one-color paint job on the frame, and get some road-worthy wheels and tires...now it's a bike I'd love to have.

Unfortunately the paint scheme looks like an explosion happened in a paint factory, Colnago produce some terrible looking paint jobs. Love the sexy wheels though they wouldn't have been my first choice. The cranks are great even if they're way overpriced, they look much better than ugly, common FSA's and the Campag cages have to be the most beautiful ever made. Sorry but i don't care for carbon bar/stem combos, they just look too bulky to me but i really like the simple, unfussy design of the seatpost. All in all a bike to be proud of.

Very nice bicycle.
I'm jealous... of your weather.... looks sunny and warm where you are.
We had snow mixed with rain last night. Going to get a lot colder here too before it gets any warmer.
Enjoy your bicycle and your riding weather!:)

Powerful Pete said:
I do not dispute that Shimano makes nice pedals. You might want to try a set of Record Pro-Fits, and then you will surely see the light. ;)

In any event, for the OP, gorgeous bike. Enjoy the riding! :D

Gotta agree. I tried the SPD's, but Pro-Fit just felt more solid, and there was no danger of competing brand friction causing the threads to corrode.

Love that crankset. It's probably a waste of money, but I still love it.

On the Polar - I'd suggest you look into the Cinelli RAM bars - they come with a tubular extension to mount computers and HRM's on, it sticks out in front of the bars. In addition to being very light and comfortable, the RAM bars are also a work of art. The major cycle makers may have forgotten how to finish an expensive product, but Campy and Cinelli haven't.

dhk said:
It's nice to look at, and a truly impressive collection of high-end components. I'm sure it's a great bike to ride too. But personally, it's not my style.

When I see the big names plastered all over, and the patented "B-40" on the backstay, it looks a bit like a rolling billboard for Colnago and Campy. Suppose everyone has different feelings about status symbols, but this bike just shouts "look at me and the money I spent on my prestige bike and wheels".

Of course, if we take off the brand advertising, put a subtle one-color paint job on the frame, and get some road-worthy wheels and tires...now it's a bike I'd love to have.
I'm more of a bare titanium person myself, but the C40 is literaly a rolling work of art. And it's not nearly as bad of a billboard as a team edition. I agree on the wheels though. As hot as the Boras are, they seem like they would get a bit twitchy in any kind of cross wind.

That's a fine looking bike. I realize the thread is a bit dated, but I am on the cusp of buying a NOS 60 cm C40 B-Stay (non HP) in LX 23 colour scheme and I have some questions that I'm trying to get answer. One is the BB shell. Do you know if your's is aluminum or ti? With your frame being 60 cm, you must be at least 6', which I am. I found it interesting that the centre to centre measurement on the seat and the top tube on the 60cm C40 was the same as my 58 cm Master. I'm assuming that tje 60cm sizing of the C40 is due to the collar on the seat tube that rises above the top tube? How did/do you find the frame for stiffness, flexibility? Thanks for your time, abain, a fine looking bike, and I'm glad I stumbled upon mine, they are becoming quite rare, and still quite sought after as the original, and a bench mark in carbon frame making.

that's a beautiful bike. Maybe with a couple of upgrades it will be almost as nice as mine/img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

How do you ride with the saddle like that? What are those weird looking things just behind the stem - some weird "warning" contraption that smacks into your knees when you're sliding off the nose of that ski jump ramp-esque saddle setup and are about to smash your "wedding tackle" on the top tube?

Nice looking Colnago. How good are you at changing tubs mid ride when you get a puncture? Looking at the pics I'm guessing you pay the gardener to drive in the private 'team car' with a few more sets of Bora's on the roof. Given that we haven't heard back from the OP in a while, maybe he's still doing the 60 mile walk of shame back to his house after a popped tyre followed by a rolled spare... :p

The saddle is tilted too much and I had to adjust is. The weird thing you were asking about is a holster for my Blackberry. I use it for gps/radio. I wanted to put it on my bars but I have no room because of these stupid shifters I have. I'm going to buy a new bike in the next week or two.

Originally Posted by Jared Purdy .

... I have some questions that I'm trying to get answer. One is the BB shell. Do you know if your's is aluminum or ti? With your frame being 60 cm, you must be at least 6', which I am. I found it interesting that the centre to centre measurement on the seat and the top tube on the 60cm C40 was the same as my 58 cm Master. I'm assuming that tje 60cm sizing of the C40 is due to the collar on the seat tube that rises above the top tube? How did/do you find the frame for stiffness, flexibility? Thanks for your time, abain, a fine looking bike, and I'm glad I stumbled upon mine, they are becoming quite rare, and still quite sought after as the original, and a bench mark in carbon frame making.
COLNAGO sizing is center-to-top ... my 54cm frame is equivalent to a 52x54.5 (c-c) steel frame that I had ...

IMO, and others may disagree, a 2001 C40 rides like a good steel frame with comparable geometry, or vice versa.

AFAIK, the BB sleeve is alloy ([COLOR= #808080]Italian 36x24 threads, of course[/COLOR]) ... it looks like aluminum ... it never occurred to me that it might be anything else ... I never did a scratch test ... the teeth are sharply cut ([COLOR= #808080]my limited exposure to threaded Ti was a threaded fork whose threads seemed very shallow to the point that initially I wasn't even sure that they were cut enough to accept a threaded headset nut ... it was[/COLOR]).

You didn't ask, but the braze-on hanger is simply steel & riveted ([COLOR= #808080]and/or glued[/COLOR]) onto the seat tube -- the notion had once crossed MY mind that it might have been Ti simply because I couldn't think of what else it might be, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is as malleable as the steel that is used for a typical steel braze-on hanger.

FWIW. [COLOR= #000000]Here's what mine looks like with mismatched wheels slapped into the frame [/COLOR][COLOR= #808080](at one time, I had some slightly more up-to-date components on mine, but other than the brake calipers, I reverted to a mix of "period" components from the turn-of-the-Century & earlier ...):[/COLOR]

.​

Eschewing today's fashion, I opted for Cinelli 66 bars & an old Lycett saddle that I had ... I guess THAT's a fashion, in part, too.