Photos of area where cyclist was nicked.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    Tags:


  2. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

  3. "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > He deserves the fine ... kid's on tricyclers, okay ... but it'd take no
    more
    > time to cycle around that place.

    Yep, all those sharp bends would not exactly make it cycling freindly, so why bother?
     
  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity elyob scribbled:

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> There was a letter from a local cyclist bemoaning the fact that he'd been done for cycling in a
    >> public area. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper2.htm
    >>
    >> I now have the photos of the area where he was nicked here:
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpark.htm
    >>
    >
    > He deserves the fine ... kid's on tricyclers, okay ... but it'd take no more time to cycle around
    > that place.

    Gotta agree .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1524 Seti work units in 11403 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
     
  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There was a letter from a local cyclist bemoaning the fact that he'd been done for cycling in a
    > public area. See:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper2.htm
    >
    > I now have the photos of the area where he was nicked here:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpark.htm
    >

    If it was a fixed penalty it was definitely illegally issued.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn
     
  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > I now have the photos of the area where he was nicked here:

    Thanks, Simon. In the absence of any specific cycling restrictions I would have said it was
    perfectly legal to cycle there.

    --
    Dave...
     
  7. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There was a letter from a local cyclist bemoaning the fact that he'd been done for cycling in a
    > public area. See:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpaper2.htm
    >
    > I now have the photos of the area where he was nicked here:
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zpark.htm
    >
    > File size 110 kb 56k download time 30 sec.
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
    >
    >

    This sort of thing really annoys me. Where I live in Basingstoke you NEVER see a police person on
    the housing estate. I've lived here for thirteen years and never have I seen a copper walking
    around. If there are so few police they shouldn't be wasting time on this sort of nonsense, whether
    it's legal or not.

    To add to this, the roads in Basingstoke are a joke. There are barely any pavements for pedestrians
    let alone for cyclists to "illegally" use. The town is car centric. I'd much rather use public paths
    than risk my life on some of the roads and I'd willingly refuse to pay any fine and make the matter
    public in court if necessary.

    By the way, I own two cars as well so I do have a balanced viewpoint.
     
  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > He deserves the fine ... kid's on tricyclers, okay ... but it'd take no more time to cycle around
    > that place.

    What on earth has the time taken to make a detour got to do with it? The question is whether or not
    it is legal to cycle there.

    --
    Dave...
     
  9. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > By the way, I own two cars as well so I do have a balanced viewpoint.

    I am worried about the "so" in that sentence; I mean, P**l Sm*th probably owns at least one car, and
    I cannot believe that owning a second confers any particular benefits of balance.
     
  10. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > He deserves the fine ... kid's on tricyclers, okay ... but it'd take no
    more
    > > time to cycle around that place.
    >
    > What on earth has the time taken to make a detour got to do with it? The question is whether or
    > not it is legal to cycle there.
    >

    The real question is whether you'd cycle through there ...

    if you would .. is a £30 fine okay for breaking the law? Would you accept that you are being used as
    an example?

    if you would not .. why not? It saves you 25 seconds a day. You should always try and shave time
    off your commute. You should cycle and not accept rules, as you put a lot of effort into saving
    the world.

    Cycling is a privilege ... http://www.helpinghandsmonkeys.org/gizmo.mov
     
  11. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > By the way, I own two cars as well so I do have a balanced viewpoint.
    >
    > I am worried about the "so" in that sentence; I mean, P**l Sm*th probably owns at least one car,
    > and I cannot believe that owning a second confers any particular benefits of balance.

    How about "I'm a car owner so I have a balanced view"? Better?
     
  12. "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    < > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > By the way, I own two cars as well so I do have a balanced viewpoint.
    < >
    > > I am worried about the "so" in that sentence; I mean, P**l Sm*th
    < > probably owns at least one car, and I cannot believe that owning
    > > a second confers any particular benefits of balance.
    <
    > How about "I'm a car owner so I have a balanced view"? Better?

    Oh, that sentence I understand: it means you claim that you are P**l Sm*th.
     
  13. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > "Geraint Jones" <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > < > "Smudger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > > By the way, I own two cars as well so I do have a balanced
    viewpoint.
    > < >
    > > > I am worried about the "so" in that sentence; I mean, P**l Sm*th
    > < > probably owns at least one car, and I cannot believe that owning
    > > > a second confers any particular benefits of balance.
    > <
    > > How about "I'm a car owner so I have a balanced view"? Better?
    >
    > Oh, that sentence I understand: it means you claim that you are P**l
    Sm*th.

    I just may be!
     
  14. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > The real question is whether you'd cycle through there ...

    Whether I'd cycle there is irrelevant.

    > if you would .. is a £30 fine okay for breaking the law? Would you accept that you are being used
    > as an example?

    A fine of any amount is not OK unless the law is actually being broken. You seem to be missing this
    point entirely.

    --
    Dave...
     
  15. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > The real question is whether you'd cycle through there ...
    >
    > Whether I'd cycle there is irrelevant.
    >
    > > if you would .. is a £30 fine okay for breaking the law? Would you
    accept
    > > that you are being used as an example?
    >
    > A fine of any amount is not OK unless the law is actually being broken. You seem to be missing
    > this point entirely.
    >

    Sorry I didn't mean you. I don't even know where you live.

    The law is actually being broken, in the article he admits to it. He regularly breaks the law. He
    only got caught once. In school I learnt that if I get caught, I get in trouble. Doesn't matter how
    many other people do it. I apply this to everday life.

    I don't believe I'm missing the point. I wouldn't cycle there. There is a path down from me and
    loads of people cycle down it, despite 4 foot stencils on the pavement saying 'no cycling' and a
    cycle path provided on the main road. Rather than regularly break the law (or by-law) cycling down
    there, I stick to the road. The road is pretty horrific though, and it really narrows up at parts,
    with lots of cars parked at the side on weekends. I have written to my local MP asking him to
    possibly review cycle access, as there is plenty of space to create a shared path. The council are
    pretty cycle friendly here too, so I think it may stand a good chance of being reviewed. Rather than
    complain about being caught, he should contact the proper authorities and give his argument to
    change the access rights.

    The letter really looks like someone who was just gutted at being caught at doing something he knows
    is wrong. The argument he gave let itself down when he said the equivalent of "why don't the police
    solve the proper crimes".
     
  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > The law is actually being broken, in the article he admits to it. He regularly breaks the law. He
    > only got caught once.
    >

    What law do you think he broke? Its pretty clear he didn't break the law under which he was fined.
    In the absence of evidence of any other law or bylaw covering that location, whether he admits it or
    not, he didn't break the law. If there are other laws applicable there he would have to be taken to
    Court, not on the spot fined, . Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn
     
  17. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Sorry I didn't mean you. I don't even know where you live.

    Just as well as you're out to mug me. ;-)

    > The law is actually being broken, in the article he admits to it. He regularly breaks the law. He
    > only got caught once.

    What he actually says is, "I cannot deny I was breaking a law." He doesn't say whether he believes
    he was knowingly doing so. The reason he cannot deny it, of course, is because he doesn't know the
    law well enough. The footpath does not run alongside a road and there is no "no cycling" sign.
    Therefore it is perfectly legal to cycle there.

    --
    Dave...
     
  18. Kit Wolf

    Kit Wolf Guest

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 01:48:52 +0000, Dave Kahn wrote:

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> Sorry I didn't mean you. I don't even know where you live.
    >
    > Just as well as you're out to mug me. ;-)
    >
    >> The law is actually being broken, in the article he admits to it. He regularly breaks the law. He
    >> only got caught once.
    >
    > What he actually says is, "I cannot deny I was breaking a law." He doesn't say whether he believes
    > he was knowingly doing so. The reason he cannot deny it, of course, is because he doesn't know the
    > law well enough. The footpath does not run alongside a road and there is no "no cycling" sign.
    > Therefore it is perfectly legal to cycle there.
    >
    >
    Sounds good... Do you think we should tell him?

    KW
     
  19. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Kit Wolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Sounds good... Do you think we should tell him?

    It seems like the decent thing to do. Ian McNee of Manor Road, Hull. Neither 192.com nor BT
    directory enquiries seems to know him. Maybe someone in Hull could look him up?

    --
    Dave...
     
  20. ChrisW

    ChrisW New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2003
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    When my car was broken into for the third time in one week in the same street, the police were far to busy to take an interest. But they seemed to have two officers and a van available to tell me not to cycle in Kensington Gardens on the same day. Guess what question I asked myself.

    Chris

     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...