Physical and Mental Health, the "Ups" and "Downs"

DVNDSN

Jun 4, 2011
I just got done having a discussion with the athletic professor at my university (I work at the gym where she teaches). She explained to me on days when she is feeling physically horrible, but mentally better, she tends to have a better workout. If it is the opposite (Physically great, mentally bad), she doesn't seem to get as good as a workout as normal.

What do you think? Does a good workout lie with what's in your head, or is it really the physically fit part of you that gets you through?

Good question but in my personal experience it simply comes down to the goals I have set myself for that workout. Would I like to set a new FTP at every workout, yes but I have sometimes gotten much more satisfaction from completing a 2x20 than I have at setting a new FTP or just being able to hang on with a wheel that I never had before.

If I do not obtain my set goal for that workout it does not matter my mental or physical state.

-js

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

What do you think? Does a good workout lie with what's in your head, or is it really the physically fit part of you that gets you through?

Professor at WKU?

IMO - it is both

I look at the foundation, which is, the body typically goes where the mind leads it.
I wrote this back in 2008 and was related to how I would use a technique to change my mental barrier to break through a physical barrier. (I started using this technique while I was a student at WKU.) But regardless of how positive I or we can be it is meaningless without the pre existing physical training. http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/2008/04/seeing-and-achieving-visualization.html

Your professor has to build fitness regardless of mental attitude in order to perform and therefore even at times where the mental aspect is lacking the fitness is still available.

I can see how that works.

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

Good question but in my personal experience it simply comes down to the goals I have set myself for that workout. Would I like to set a new FTP at every workout, yes but I have sometimes gotten much more satisfaction from completing a 2x20 than I have at setting a new FTP or just being able to hang on with a wheel that I never had before.

If I do not obtain my set goal for that workout it does not matter my mental or physical state.

-js

I was having a chat with the voices in my head and comparing notes with Mr Prof PowerMeter about this and the general consensus is that:

Feeling is subjective and to be honest I really don't think it matters for training. I'm feeling fast, I'm feeling tired, I feel like my legs are going to explode, I feel like I'd rather be sitting indoors at 75F than outside at 104F on the bike, I feel like one more hard effort and I'll be saying hello to my dinner again... Doesn't really matter what you feel - are you hitting the numbers within the range for the session? If not, why not? There's normally a simple explination and unless there's a reason for concern (eg potential injury or some validation for believing you're massive over training) then there's no real reason for a trip to namby pamby land for a box of scented tissues with aloe vera and get all subjective about things.

I'm not sure that I buy into your Prof's thoughts and you might be better off asking her out for a beer rather than getting all subjective and throwing in too many variables to further aid in training failure.

BAHAHAAA that's hilarious! Not sure the professor that comes in here often would like it though. I have heard that athletes train good on bad days, and bad on good days. When you argue numbers, facts are facts though!

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I was having a chat with the voices in my head and comparing notes with Mr Prof PowerMeter about this and the general consensus is that:

Feeling is subjective and to be honest I really don't think it matters for training. I'm feeling fast, I'm feeling tired, I feel like my legs are going to explode, I feel like I'd rather be sitting indoors at 75F than outside at 104F on the bike, I feel like one more hard effort and I'll be saying hello to my dinner again... Doesn't really matter what you feel - are you hitting the numbers within the range for the session? If not, why not? There's normally a simple explination and unless there's a reason for concern (eg potential injury or some validation for believing you're massive over training) then there's no real reason for a trip to namby pamby land for a box of scented tissues with aloe vera and get all subjective about things.

I'm not sure that I buy into your Prof's thoughts and you might be better off asking her out for a beer rather than getting all subjective and throwing in too many variables to further aid in training failure.

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

Yeah, Western Kentucky University. When did you go here? What was your major?

Between 81-85
Grew up nearby and have family that lives in BG and near.

When I started lifting the student gym was in the football stadium, then it moved to the basket ball arena near the swimming pool before you all got the new sports complex.
I loved it back in those days because it was a real hardcore atmosphere and only a few of us that really went to lift. Probably completely different now.

My major was Industrial Technology which was mostly Industrial Design.
I started taking health related classes later toward the end and was going to switch majors, but ran out of money. I had to stick to the initial plan and get out. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I don't blame you for sticking to the initial plan! My wife has enough years in for a doctorate, but she's just changed her major so many times! You can go on the WKU website and check out the new fitness facility, only about a year old. I am the equipment technician there. It's a really nice facility. We change out the equipment every three years (or so I hear) to get the latest and greatest stuff. Currently, I am a junior and will graduate in 2013 with a double major, Recreation Administration and Religious Studies.