Physical Project- HELP!

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by tricycling311, Jan 22, 2005.

1. tricycling311

tricycling311 New Member

Ok, so I am doing my senior project on cycling... I need some ideas.

I have to do a physical project... PHYSICAL... nothing like powerpoint or anything like that. I talked to my teacher about bringing my bike in (Since i upgraded it ) and he said that will be fine... to later then say that it might not be enough for a good grade.

One of the guys at my bike shop said take some cardboard, and draw a bike out of pasta noodles.......

Anyone else have any ideas... something that i can PHYSICALLY MAKE concerning cycling? I need HELP!

Thank you very much!!!
    Shannon

Tags:

2. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

If it's physical, why isn't a bike a good idea? (Can you give us some more info?)

Cycling is one of the most demanding sports out there...

P.S. Do you like 311 (the band)?

3. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

Senior High School or senior college for starters? And for what kind of class (ie is an an art class so then can you paint or act)? Would help a bit for me to know that.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

Can you do something with props that would teach people the relationships of your body proportions to the fit and angles on the gelometry of your bike? You could do anything from a smaller scale model to an actual assistant person and some marked lengths of wood, and how these things then relate to your bike. Would it be interesting? I dont know. It depends on presentation, but my father is always interested when I get talking about bike fitting particulars and I think most non-cyclists dont think much about fit beyond the old faulty way of straddling the frame.

Along a similar line, some explanation of gearing, cadence and how these things relate to distance traveled per pedal revolution, energy expended etc. I had a lot of explaining to do to get my cousin when he first started riding to use his full range of gears - this is why I thought of this, although how you'd wish to explain it with props or graphs may or may not make it a physical presentation and possibly more akin to powerpoint etc.

Maybe I'll think of some more and post a little bit later as I mull it over. The options become almost endless if you're in art school, but I kind of get the sense something that takes interpretation on the part of the viewer as a painting or sculpture or other abstract representation is not what we're talking about here. Sounds more like a narrated presentation kind of thing.

4. tricycling311

tricycling311 New Member

Yes, 311 is awesome, lol. I looked at your prfile... i used to play tenor lol and alto....mainly alto sax but tenor in jazz band. coolness lol.
    Um, well he said i would get a better grade if i acutally built it from the frame up rather then just upgrade.......... i dont get it..... he is a very strict teacher..... sometimes i dont get him.
    Need anymore info....?

English 4, HS senior

5. tricycling311

tricycling311 New Member

it can be anything.... mainly something i can build with my hands. Thank you very much for your time advise. Really, thank you.
    It can be anything whether I am it was an art class or not...............just anything that i can build with my hands, dealing with cycling.
    Like how my friend said take posterboard, and draw a bike out of pasta noodles... but i want something at least a little more exciting lol!
    I might take a couple ideas and put them together... like make 2-3 different things depending on what it is.

6. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

Just trying to get an idea of the level of detail that would be expected of you to get a decent grade. You shouldnt have to get too much more involved for the HS level than having your bike as a prop and doing something slightly more with it than just showing an upgrade of a couple of parts - think that's what your teacher was attempting to get at by saying itd be more interesting to build it from the frame up. While that's true, I cant do that myself lol - not all cyclists can.

You could have the bike and your upgrades with an explanation of why those certain things made a difference enough that required the upgrade. You'd want to show the difference in such a way that was more than just a verbal explanation. The before and after cause and effect sort of performance differences, explained by way of how the specific part(s) in question function. Seems to me that ought to be enough. Been a while since I've done a high school thing. :p

Maybe the fitting thing is better explained by a model, where you could almost build a little wooden psuedo fit kit bike and use one of those wooden art posing dummies. Still think its a pretty good idea with your actual bike, your ride position, your pedal adjustment, saddle height, crank and stem length, handlebat height. How important these things are and why your bike is more an extension of you than just something you hop on and ride. Things your audience probably doesnt think about right off the bat when simply looking at a bike.

I'm drawng a blank at the moment for more things, but I might edit or add later. Hopefully other people have more ideas for you.

7. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Well, that is sweet that you like 311!

Secondly, how close are you with ur LBS? I know my LBS would 'help' me build up my bike. The guys are so nice, that they would guide me through the process. Never hurts to ask.

Like Zep said, explain why you did certain upgrades and all that stuff. I'll add more stuff as I read more posts.

Later

8. JeremyLaBarge3

JeremyLaBarge3 New Member

I know that for a high school senior project my friend trained for a triathlon, so you could do that or say you are training for a 100mil race or something. Good luck
    Jeremy